The Terms and Conditions of a Photography Contest (Which I disagree to)

KSeet

Mar 11, 2003
North East
www.kelvinseet.com
I wanted to participate in a photography contest online but the moment I saw these terms, I immediately changed my mind.

Entrants automatically assign to XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd the entire right, title, interest and copyright in the photograph entered into this competition to be used in any media in the future, without any right for further compensation or right to review the media.

All submitted photographs become the property of XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd.

XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd reserve the right to use submitted photographs without informing the contestant for any purpose relating to XXX’s and XXX’s business.

XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd cannot be held responsible or liable for the unauthorized use of photographs in other publications or websites.

What do you guys think? Is this a fair set of terms and conditions?

No. It is not fair. But many contest organizers are doing it, including some govt agency sponsored contests.

If you do not wish to lose copyright to your photos, then don't enter.

I wanted to participate in a photography contest online but the moment I saw these terms, I immediately changed my mind.

Entrants automatically assign to XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd the entire right, title, interest and copyright in the photograph entered into this competition to be used in any media in the future, without any right for further compensation or right to review the media.

All submitted photographs become the property of XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd.

XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd reserve the right to use submitted photographs without informing the contestant for any purpose relating to XXX’s and XXX’s business.

XXX and its parent company XXX Pte Ltd cannot be held responsible or liable for the unauthorized use of photographs in other publications or websites.

What do you guys think? Is this a fair set of terms and conditions?

Rhetoric question. Obviously you know the answer. Still there're people taking part for the exposure. For me...I stay away. :cool:

this is nothing new, all along many companies including gov agencies are using these to exploit photographers.

those who didn't read the T&C carefully, didn't know that they already kissed their beloved photos goodbye at the moment they send in their photos, regardless winning or not.

so by right, if you sent some photos in one photography contest, tho it didn't win, you can't send the same photos to another photography contest, cos it no longer belong to you already, if you're not aware about this, you send the same photos to another contest, and your photos suay suay win in this round, you might get sued by two photography contest organizers, for infringement of copyrights!!!
hello, this is your own photos leh!!

so for some people, they don't mind anything, just go ahead and keep submitting it lor.

That is why most people do not enter into such contest. It's not worth their effort even if they win most of the time.

if you take part with the T&C out there for you to see.... then it's your choice.

i try to highlight these terms, because essentially, it is not equitable - the company is forking out a miniscule amount compared to the amount of images they will receive. even more so if they ask for high resolution versions of the pictures.

Out of curiosity, is there any existing definition (legal or otherwise) as to what constitutes the "photo"?

1) Say I shoot raw, submit two hi-res JPEGs (but with different processing) to two different competitions?
or
2) I shoot the same thing twice, almost the same but not quite and submit each to a different competition.

:dunno:

And some even include an entrance fee.

Last edited:
OOT:
It's not happen to only competition
Some request for photographer for pre/AD Wedding also comes with funny things
My colleague who also member of this forum told me, after he help a couple to do AD wedding, before he going home a member of the family asks for his cam's CF card. And he found that his pics are actually moved, not copied...
When he asks why, they answered it's part of the deal; "the copyright is belong to the couple, you get experience".

I will not pass over my cf card. But will format it in front of them.

OOT:
My colleague who also member of this forum told me, after he help a couple to do AD wedding, before he going home a member of the family asks for his cam's CF card. And he found that his pics are actually moved, not copied...
When he asks why, they answered it's part of the deal; "the copyright is belong to the couple, you get experience".
since the photographer are not being paid, the copyrights of these images still belong to the photographer..... the law says...

same situation as those whatever companies/clients come here to look for photographers, offering "photography opportunity" to those monkey willing to accept peanuts.

oh well, this will happen only when those photographers get too hard up, just let so call "customers" taking advantage of....

OOT:

Wah, that is extremely exploitative. How can the photographer stomach it? I'm sure he can fight it legally.

Yup I didn't agree so I didn't submit any photos.

Its crazy what these companies can think of. They think that they are protecting their interests by claiming every single thing related to a photograph submitted to them but I thought that in the eyes of the law relating to Intellectual Property Rights in Singapore, such terms are not recognised?

Yup I didn't agree so I didn't submit any photos.

Its crazy what these companies can think of. They think that they are protecting their interests by claiming every single thing related to a photograph submitted to them but I thought that in the eyes of the law relating to Intellectual Property Rights in Singapore, such terms are not recognised?

You missed the point.

They are not doing it to protect their interest.

They are doing it to get free stock photos for giving out minimal money (in terms of prizes). They will keep the images in a database for them to use for advertising, publications... etc... meaning they do not need to spend money to hire photographers... nor do they need to pay money to buy images.

Cheapo *******s.

As for "eyes of the law".... if it is stated as T&C... and anyone accepts it and enter the competition... then it is legally binding... so much for "rights".

Last edited:
since the photographer are not being paid, the copyrights of these images still belong to the photographer..... the law says...

same situation as those whatever companies/clients come here to look for photographers, offering "photography opportunity" to those monkey willing to accept peanuts.

oh well, this will happen only when those photographers get too hard up, just let so call "customers" taking advantage of....

There are monkeys willing to get peanuts and peanuts they will get. I'll settle for that juicy steak at Agus Steakhouse. :cool:

OOT:

I assume your colleague is helping his friend out of friendship and no monetary involved?
If this is really the case, his friend and relative besides showing disrespect and has robbed your colleague. :angry:

photos aside...

does anyone ask what becomes of the personal data used to apply for the contests?