The subject is too dark. help pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

istarcon

Jan 16, 2008
I turned to Shutter-Auto mode... and rotated the command dial to a high shutter speed..
ie 1/1xxx to take a still of a moving waterfal fountain

But it gives the above message.. it only goes away after i set the speed very much lower... ie 1/8

I don't think its the camera faulty... what can i do to increase aperture size in this case? I though aperture should be auto in this mode ?:dunno:

Sounds like there is not enough light at the f/ stop you are using to be able to get a 1/1xxx exposure. Your lens is not letting in enough light to do that. If your lens is already at its widest aperature you will have to increase the ISO to be able to use a faster shutter speed under those lighting conditions. Or use your flash.

well, maybe there is just not enough light for the shutter speed you want... of course the cam sets the f-stop but it cannot make the aperture bigger than what your lens offers. if you max f-stop is 5.6 but you need 2.8 with the shutter speed you want then you get a warning from the cam...
solution: increase ISO or get a faster lens or get a flash to provide more light

I turned to Shutter-Auto mode... and rotated the command dial to a high shutter speed..

But it gives the above message.. it only goes away after i set the speed very much lower... ie 1/8

I don't think its the camera faulty... what can i do to increase aperture size in this case? I though aperture should be auto in this mode ?:dunno:

Pls read up on the basics first.

Learn the relations of shutter speed, ISO and aperture before you do anything else. :sweat:

Shoot in Tv mode, Shutter speed set to 1/xxx, and check that your aperture number isn't blinking. If it is, increase your ISO.

you are using shutter speed priority mode (S mode), so for aperture is already go to maximum when the shutter speed are still too high, you can either use:
#1, use a higher ISO
#2, use flash
#3, shoot in another time have a bright daylight

anyway, like what other CSers suggested, go and read more about the basic photography first.

buy a better lens

Status
Not open for further replies.