The sub-$1500 entry level FF camera is less than 10 years away

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
topic for the weekend's discussion ....

Triggered of course by the slew of sub $1000 entry level dslr's on the market, the growing m4/3 sector and the 5D2 recent pricing directions....

While ff was the domain of the pros and rich..... its now within the grasp of so many more people ...... which fuels economies of scale in the production cost of ff sensors ......

Sub-topic-
And will aps sized sensors eventually trickle into PnS cameras ?

Last edited:
While ff was the domain of the pros and rich..... its now within the grasp of so many more people ...... which fuels economies of scale in the production cost of ff sensors ......

In 10 years, why not... As it is, it's sub-3k already.

Sub-topic-
And will aps sized sensors eventually trickle into PnS cameras ?

Considering the new sony micro-dslr is APS-C, and Sigma's already done it, and now Ricoh too... Why not? Other than much bigger, blukier lenses that may not appeal to the "as slim as possible" crowd. I think there is a long future left for the micro-sensor cameras.

I think as long as they are able to produce it cheap and pp are willing to buy, they will explore all possible ways to make it work..

well yeah... i mean if you think about it even just aps-c sensors use to be the domain of the pro and rich at the start of the decade.
maybe in 20 years time medium format will be the norm.. who knows ;p

i have mentioned it b4 that it is not the question of if but when
and i believe it is sooner than we all think

i still remembered years ago how a CS'er said that '2nd hand DSLRS will NEVER sell for less than $1000'..... lol !!!

Last edited:
Extract from DPreview

"On 20th August 2003 Canon surprised many people (not least us) when it announced its $899 / €1,099 EOS 300D (Digital Rebel). This digital SLR based on the EOS 10D's superb six megapixel CMOS sensor and image processor in an inexpensive consumer body similar to the film EOS-300. This camera is designed to take the prosumer end of the digital camera market by storm, everyone is fully aware of the image quality of the EOS 10D (considered by many as the benchmark six megapixel digital SLR), and so a consumer priced digital SLR based on the same sensor is irrefutably attractive to anyone who would have previously considered an 'all in one' prosumer digital cameras."

Just 6.5yrs ago this was ground breaking.

The day of sub 1.5k FF is nearer than we think. Perhaps another 6.5yrs or less ? :cool:

Some company shld pls start the ball rolling with a low MP FF sensor that shoots 1fps :bsmilie: shld sell like hotcakes too, for folks who dun need the speed. i would fall for that. The lack of adoption currently is more for the companies to milk the APS-C arena +++ first, and the assumed prestige in the FF bodies...

i was actually looking forward to more playing field in the realm of MF digital, with Pentax leading the competition :bsmilie:

i always look forward with what the manufacturers will roll out in future.

ryan

I have a feeling that it's just that the manufacturers are delaying the consumer FF cam.

They just want to milk the consumers first.

how true..... congrats to Pentax MF....... i really missed the good old days when hobbyist entry into MF was so affordable.

already now new enthusiast are buying FF as their first dslr.....

Hmm...If I am the mkting head of Nikon/Canon or other dslr brands...I'll definitely nt have a sub-1500 FF camera. Even If I do, I will make it at the low end or even sub standard.. coz if the FF camera is gg to be sub 1500...then what price can I tag to the cropped frame dslr? 800? This will have large impact on the line of pdts...and affect my revenue... everyone feels tt as technology improve, parts are cheaper..then prices will definitely fall...I work in the electronics sector and I do think the parts are rather cheap nw if you are talking about consumer graded parts..but the price is still high for dslr...improvement in technology and price don't really have a straight forward relationship..it's more on the perception of price of the consumers I feel...Nevertheless, I think sub-1500 FF cam can realise if one of the dslr players take the plunge to produce one out to compete the market share..if not, the two giants on top don't really have the rational to do so...

*I pray I am wrong about this....becoz I do want a sub-1500 FF cam too:bsmilie:

Last edited:
the way i see it is this:

you're either big, or your small
if you're somewhere in between, you're neither portable or lightweight , nor do you have larger quality per-pixel sensor.

the IQ of the larger sized DSLR should win micro-forth thirds more than marginally to justify itself. hence it is possible that larger sensors would be implemented into consumer DSLRs for the better IQ and light gathering abilities per-pixel.

but if let say canon wants to implement larger sensor into their entry-level dslr (APS-H)
what's gonna happen to their EF-S lens series??!!
that is why i think, companies will not make the shift, UNLESS, they have to in order to stay competitive

well that's what i think

but if they don't do it, other will. That's all about healthy competition is good for consumer.

if i were canon/nikon, i'd get everyone buying my APSC bodies first and get htem hooked, then roll out cheaper FF bodies so they have to dump their EF-S lenses and buy EF lenses.

if i were canon/nikon, i'd get everyone buying my APSC bodies first and get htem hooked, then roll out cheaper FF bodies so they have to dump their EF-S lenses and buy EF lenses.

That's the Sony strategy. :p

Hmmm..But think ahead... what's the story after cheap FF cam are rolled out?...dslr producers will run into a bottle-neck of technology vs cost curve...slowly they will venture into MF?haha...then in this case, they might kill themselves in the long run...Thus more reasonably is how much the cropped frame will drop in price, the FF line will drop proportionally with relevance...wholesome trend...:)

All and all, as consumers, we just need a hero manufacturer to produce sub-1500 FF Dslr to kickstart the dominos! :D

Last edited:
topic for the weekend's discussion ....

how about the less than $1.5K everything-you-need-for-good-photography-and-impress-xmm kit? how long is it away?

by that time, if everyone have FF + good glass for so cheap, jialat liao, need to bring out the medium format and large format digital cameras. :bsmilie:

...slowly they will venture into MF?

Moving consumers into MF from FF will be a tough sell compared to moving them from crop to FF, for those with a sizable lens collection.