The small pink flower II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsky

Jul 28, 2008
Yishun
Took this flower of Mimosa pudica (含羞草), using f11, ISO 100, with flash -0.3, try to improve from the previous post a week ago. Try many angle to eliminate distracting background. I tried to crop tighter this time. Please comment on the exposure, crop, and the background created. Have a few pics with lighter background, do u think this background is too dark?
Thanks for ur time.

Mimosa-pudica.jpg

Last edited:
well oh well. i'll give ya some love.

the colors are generally fine. the background is not too dark i guess, it contrasts well with the pink. the subject is abit soft, no?

I have problem with the composition tho. Its too right smack in the middle. I have a soft spot for square crops but it don't work here. I sense that having empty spaces on the left or right would do more justice to this.

Thanks, velasco. After 2 days silent, finally I see a ray of light shining in. Point noted, I will try to improve on the compo. I am glad the background is ok this time.

are the blue things lateral CAs? if they are then its best that you remove them. they seem pretty obvious and distracting

anyway a black background is always nice, so i think its a good job achieving that. i do agree that the composition can be improved a little. this is a crop right? maybe the shot in normal proportions would look better

are the blue things lateral CAs? if they are then its best that you remove them. they seem pretty obvious and distracting

anyway a black background is always nice, so i think its a good job achieving that. i do agree that the composition can be improved a little. this is a crop right? maybe the shot in normal proportions would look better

i don't see any blue whatevers and it does not show a black background on my screen. is my colourblindness acting up ?:bigeyes:

Thanks for ur time. It is dark green background, I shot this at the field. When the ev of the flash changes, the background appeared from light green to darker green.
Please pardon me as a newbie, what is CA?

CA = Chromatic Aberration, refers to colour fringing at the edges where 2 colours meet. Read wikipedia for more info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration). I think 2.8photography is referring to the tips of the stalks on the left of the picture. Composition-wise, I didn't realise it's a mimosa flower until I read your writeup. Maybe you can think of how to add some context to the picture to hint to the viewer what this is; and yep, this might work better if it wasn't placed smack in the centre of the frame.

Yes there appear to be traces of CA on all the tips of the flower.

Oh I see, now I noticed the CA u mentioned. Try to explore PS's Lens Correction just now, discover the tool to correct CA, It was there all the time but I never use it. Thank very much, for teaching me something new today. :thumbsup:

Oh I see, now I noticed the CA u mentioned. Try to explore PS's Lens Correction just now, discover the tool to correct CA, It was there all the time but I never use it. Thank very much, for teaching me something new today. :thumbsup:

yeah it was the blueish colourations at the tips of the flowers i was talking about. im not so sure you can remove it with ps, as they may be purple fringing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

im not sure if thats very different and whether or not it can be removed - not too clear myself.

about the bg colour - my apologies. must be my screen

yeah it was the blueish colourations at the tips of the flowers i was talking about. im not so sure you can remove it with ps, as they may be purple fringing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

im not sure if thats very different and whether or not it can be removed - not too clear myself.

about the bg colour - my apologies. must be my screen

hi 2.8photography, I am the one must thanks u for teaching me, really appreciate ur help, thanks again.

I posted the rest of the pics here, feel free to drop any comments there thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.