nutz

Jan 20, 2002
www.gigabizz.com
resized.jpg

resized2.jpg

resized3.jpg

resized4.jpg

Originally posted by quackaroo
do you have a UV filter on? (your camera)

(i dont think you have a polariser)

err....sorry i'm nutz about photography,
what's a UV filter for?
And a polariser? How do i use that?

opps u got a
HP photosmart C912 ?
i never heard of the cam b4.

prob a small lens cant screw anithing onto it
mmm try taking indoor (non landscape shots, esp the sky)
i think your cam may work for erm hehe abstract, street photography, and possibly ahem wait wait hold on.. (brings in the flames :rbounce: )... "artistic" shots

First of all, thanx for the comments.

ok, great, i've seen the site quackaroo recommended, but i still have no clue what filters does.

Can someone be nice enough to explain to me in non-technical terms pleaseeeeee.......? :what:

And also, from your expert's eye, could you kindly tell me what's wrong with my pictures. From my layman's point of view, the pictures seems alright.......

hehe opps... ok a filter is something which you screw over the current lens you have..

filter really means (according to Club Snap's Glossary)
Transparent lens attachments used to change the color, or other characteristics, of an image. They are used both on the camera and in the darkroom.

basically filters can enhance, add special effects so on the pictures. This is an example of my UV Filter for my camera (G2)...

uvfilter.jpg

sorry no BS in this picture :)

hehe opps... ok a filter is something which you screw over the current lens you have..

Transparent lens attachments used to change the color, or other characteristics, of an image. They are used both on the camera and in the darkroom.

basically filters can enhance, add special effects so on the pictures. This is an example of my UV Filter for my camera (G2)...

uvfilter.jpg

Hehe, I think its time you trim your nails!!!;p

uvfilter.jpg

Haha this is a damn funny pic, we should have more of these in the forum!! :D

UV filters cut out UV light... Most people use it to protect the lens, it also ..Hmmm.... how do I put it.... filter out the UV light, preventing it from hitting the CCD, this alters the colour a little to something more natural (subjective lah)...

Polarisers, from secondary school physics class, allows only light of striking the filter at a certain angle (or is it wavelength? cannot remember) to enter... Photographically, it can create a bluer skyn (if used properly) and give plastic surfaces interesting rainbow effects and some unexpectable effects on LCD screens (some of my product shots with LCD ends up with a cool blue LCD... hee hee). It also eliminates reflection to a certain extent on non metalic surfaces, shooting water may allow you to capture deeper into the water by eliminating the reflection on the surface... Polariser also useful when shooting out of a glass (example your car) as it removes some of the distracting reflections.

uvfilter.jpg

How much would a filter like this cost?
Should i use a UV filter for night shot?
Can the UV filter be used togather with other filters or is it one filter at a time?

Please advise, thanx. :)

A couple of bucks in a thousand...

hehe.... aorund $10-$20 (unless you are buying a B+W one)

I would say no, reflection of UV filter and the lens is up by quite a bit, dont want green stuff flying all over the place, or you could start taking UFOs just like what klause did.

Can the UV filter be used togather with other filters or is it one filter at a time?

You can do that with MOST filters, there's a thread to do it, want me to show you a picture of the thread? hehehe :D

Originally posted by nutz

Please advise, thanx. :)

nutz, a typical Hoya 52mm UV filter will cost $10. The multicoated version may go up to $30? The B+W multicoated will be $40+.

UV filter can be put on for any kind of shot, as long as you're not particular with the minimal degradation of picture quality. Most pros do not put on UV filters at all. For amateurs like us, leaving the UV filter on at all time to protect your lens makes more economical sense.

Yes you can stack other filters on top of your UV filter. The filter will have the same mm thread for you to screw on additional filters.

Alright man.......thanks for all the advise rendered.

I have just gotten myself a UV filter today.
It's Hoya brand and cost me S$10.00.

Tried a few shots with and without the filter, can't see much diff....

So am i right to say that other than acting as a protection to the lens, the UV filter doesn't really have any other usefulness?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

yes and no.
:)

the UV filter can come quite handy in the protection of lens.
The other thing is that it cuts of certain UV light esp in sky shots, or if you try to take at the beach.. it does have a difference.

(from photo.net) below...
For more effect added to sky shots.. u may wanna try...
Graduated Neutral Density filters
The sun is very bright; you heard it here first. Film can only handle a limited range of contrast. In a sunset photo, if you expose to capture color in the bright sky, the landscape will be black. If you expose to capture detail in the landscape, the sky will be washed out and white. So it equalizes the illumination of the land and sky.
The best graduated filters are square or rectangular. This lets you slide the filter up and down until the graduated region in correctly positioned for your composition. Tiffen makes some especially good glass graduated ND filters.

No. because...
well.. esp night shots, you may get an extra reflection, so just take the filter out. well it may or may not do good to all extent.
keep using and examining your pictures :) ill see if i can post some comparisions if i have time
(freaking project at hand) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.