The Sigma 70-200mm + 2x Sigma EX telecon combo is pretty sharp to my eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
http://www.sassy-scribbles.net/test.jpg

It's a 100% crop, with no modifications done, not even USM. Seems to me it's still acceptably sharp with a 2x converter, and nothing a bit of USM can't fix. Oh, and I have to mention that it's wide open at F5.6, so I guess it's pretty impressive for its quality..

If you feel the results are acceptable, then good for you.

To my eyes the colours are not crisp, contrast is generally low, there is chromatic abberation. In addition I find the the bokeh with a teleconverter tends to be less smooth than with just the lens alone. You should take a photo with and without the teleconverter to see the difference.

I've tried the above combo before and trust me, it's pretty bad. If you really want the range then get a Bigma. It's much better at that sort of focal length and the zoom range is really useful as well.

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8's bokeh is pretty bad to begin with, especially if you stop down (just stop down to F4 or F5.6, do a DOF-preview and look thru the front element, the aperture blades are far from circular).

I did consider getting a Bigma, but the weight a bit too much for me to carry. 1.8kg vs 1.3kg w/telecon is a huge difference, and I don't use that range(200~500) often, and I need the F2.8 at 100~200mm more often, and no, I cannot afford to keep both a 70-200mm and a 50-500mm.

The teleconverter is going to be used for birding trips, and with some of the shots I made so far with this combo, I'm quite happy with it, and bokeh is not really important to me as I use other lenses for my potrait work. I'm just here to show people that it isn't that horrible as others make it out to be. Maybe different lenses give different results due to inconsistent QC?

Thanks for all the comments and advice though.

I find it is generally good considering the cost of purchasing. :thumbsup:

The sigma combo performs badly at nearer distances like in the case u shot above. Try shooting at a more distant target >10m away and it acquits itself pretty well.

Ever consider the Sigma 100-300F4 - this is a highly rated lens. If you're in birding, just one stop better could make a lot of difference. Not too heavy and also not that expensive. I believe that Sigma is launching a digital version very soon. Me waiting for it to arrive.

Sigma has just launched the 100-300 F4 DG - the DG version. By the look of it, the lens construction seems to be no different from the previous version except that they added a DG, claiming better coating for the rear element/s. Anyway, it is still a very good lens, the best in this range. Not too expensive, not too heavy and not that big. Only drawback is the large 82mm filter.

I might wish to wait for the lens to arrive at our shores and try it out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.