The Shoulders Shot - Processing comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noeluap

Jan 19, 2006
Got this shot I took which i felt was pretty nice. Some people might beg to differ with the tight crop but I like it.

Now I'm scratching my head cos can't decide how to best process it. Comments? Suggestions?

#1:
4007920600_cbac323004_b.jpg

#2:
4007920752_f55d5167fe_b.jpg

#3:
4007154353_0cbcc23a44_b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks more like a snapshot without the head and photos 2 & 3 can't be seen..

the first shot, i am not sure what u're trying to highlight...

:dunno: I don't even know what to say.

it's not bad. just the harsh flash ruins the lighting. i think you used a pop up flash or another flash straght on?
the concept behind the shot is nice but the execution is not top notch.

nice as in what sense?
if you can't explain how nice is this, most probably is not.

hmm i like the joy in her smile. and the tight crop.
also like the details of her hair

Last edited:
it's not bad. just the harsh flash ruins the lighting. i think you used a pop up flash or another flash straght on?
the concept behind the shot is nice but the execution is not top notch.

no flash. there was a window from behind me... hence the bright light you see

85mm at f/1.8 1/200 on a D90, ISO 400

so how do you think i can improve the execution?

hmm i like the joy in her smile. and the tight crop.
also like the details of her hair
I do not see what you see, and appreciate the detail what you describe here.

maybe you can crop off the shoulders, just leave the lips and hair, emphasize what is important to you.

Got this shot I took which i felt was pretty nice. Some people might beg to differ with the tight crop but I like it.

Now I'm scratching my head cos can't decide how to best process it. Comments? Suggestions?

Urm, the best person to comment would be the subject itself.. I'm sure she would not find anything flattering about the hair, angle, posture or even her smile.. BUT, that's not the point..

What do you want to portray with processing? :dunno: I honestly do not know. As a single image, the shoulder just doesn't say anything.. as a series, there might be a story going on..

hmm maybe my title was misleading.. actually don't intend for the shoulders to be the main focal point. but the picture overall.

but keep the comments coming. good to learn ;p

Not sure what can be improved because there is nothing much in the pic. i.e. you can't crop to improve much.

Sorry but not a nice pic.

Ok thanks guys I think I get it.

Now imagine same pose, same angle, same lighting... different person? Haha

Ok thanks guys I think I get it.

Now imagine same pose, same angle, same lighting... different person? Haha

still wont work.. A woman's deep neckline and collarbone is very very sexy and it could have angled to be more flattering. But assuming this isn't a posed shot, even angelina jolie won't look flattering.. Honest!

maybe can save the photo by divert the subject attention intentionally?
PP blur or darken other areas especially the backdrop and bring the focus to the necklace.

just a thought.

Ya it's not a posed shot.

I should have scooted over to the left, would have got better angle of the neck and collar bone. But then it would minimise the chest area right?

First time shooting event. Difficult! haha

Can probably try to lomo the heck out of it or apply the "lancey"-effect (b&w, high contrast, film grain, and shadows) - check out his !@# thread if you haven't seen his work. They're very good. Good luck !

Can probably try to lomo the heck out of it or apply the "lancey"-effect (b&w, high contrast, film grain, and shadows) - check out his !@# thread if you haven't seen his work. They're very good. Good luck !

ooh lancey effect haha ok i think i'll try that la if i wanna still use this photo.

thanks all for the criticisms. i'm taking the photos off. ;p closing the thread too!

Status
Not open for further replies.