The Shaving Sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
Kick starting a shaving thread opened for all guys and gals :)
Modern electric razors, Cartridge razors like the Sensor/M3/Fusion, DEs, Straight razor users welcomed to add your shots.

My current shaving cream rotation of the week.
The lightly Lavender scented Trufitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream

3820153521_d2e41019d9.jpg

And my razor rotation this week.

A 1930s Gillette Aristocrat, one of the pioneer batch of the then TTO twist-to-open mechanism that paved the way for subsequent Gillette DE razor design.
The gold case version was the Christmas edition; the Standard version came in a black case which I have not taken a shot.

3821038790_856f7ffebd.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
Alternative views of the 1930s Aristocrat, first introduced in 1934

3821082704_558c5f303e.jpg

The razor head assembly opened via a TTO from the bottom of the handle
3820254723_107ce3bb7e.jpg

Last edited:
A decade later, the 1940s Aristocrat. Came in 3 different cases ( I left out my 3rd case variant )

3822850620_146e9bbddf.jpg

A closer view

3821143131_9c4b346d5a.jpg

good stuff

only thing is the shaving cream upside down, very hard to view
:bsmilie:

:) Here is the straightened T&H tube pic. I will only be putting only bits of stuffs from my web for posts :bsmilie:

3820942422_37d39a814f.jpg

And here is a shot of the 1940s Aristocrat in case, note the lack of teeth at the comb edge compared to the 1934s Aristocrat ( having bent teeth adopted from the Gillette The New open comb razor series )

3822846470_56e812f6ff.jpg

my own double edged Merkur shaver with my badger brush.

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-5254023-badger-shaving-brush-with-razor.php

I dunno how to put up the pics directly so I just posted a link where my image is

really tough to find wet shaving stuff here in Singapore

istockphoto_5254023-badger-shaving-brush-with-razor.jpg

Nice Merkur u got there! Is ur badger brush a silvertip ?

I haven got a chance to try out these German razors, but they are pretty hefty issint it :) Would love to try their Mekur Slants when i got a chance.

Locally u can try Mustafa and the indian shops for shaving stuffs, but u probably might not get a nice luxurious larger loft badger brushes. The Body Shop sells 19.90 synthetic brushes but really hurts on the skin. U can hunt ard L o'ccitane and Crabtree&Evelyn for some of the more upmarket stuffs.

Here is one of my cased 1950s Gillette Aristocrat ( this is the copy in my shaving routine :bsmilie: the lacquer still intact over the doors )

3823824023_1be01915c5.jpg

Another view of the razor with its oyster case closed

3824624874_e2d36b3132.jpg

And my EJ Silvertip. Gave my Shavemac Silvertip to my brother, still missing it !

3829717111_413956901b.jpg

OOU!!!

Imagine a straight-edge with a genuine antique leather strap! :lovegrin:

Kick starting a shaving thread opened for all guys and gals :)
Modern electric razors, Cartridge razors like the Sensor/M3/Fusion, DEs, Straight razor users welcomed to add your shots.

My current shaving cream rotation of the week.
The lightly Lavender scented Trufitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream

3820153521_d2e41019d9.jpg

And my razor rotation this week.

A 1930s Gillette Aristocrat, one of the pioneer batch of the then TTO twist-to-open mechanism that paved the way for subsequent Gillette DE razor design.
The gold case version was the Christmas edition; the Standard version came in a black case which I have not taken a shot.

3821038790_856f7ffebd.jpg

Ryan

1st pic already epic fail... if u are selling something online, u expect ur potential customers to flip their monitors?

Good collection and pictures, but tend to lean a bit more on sales gimmick.

I've got the Merkur slant as well but I've not had much luck with it. It's been out of my rotation for a while. Hmm should sell it off. But I've got a few straights as well. My personal favourite is my Dovo stainless (which I've not had time to photograph). My favourite shaving cream is the Omega and Truefitt and Hill's Almond shaving cream. Shaving soap that I am using now is the cheap and good Williams.

The brush in the photo is from Truefitt and hill's mini super badger brush, probably not silvertip. I've got a shavemac D01 unused, just waiting for the right occasion...:)

It's great to know there are others into wet shaving. Though I was the only one here....:)

Thanks DCa for the comments, agree on the rotated thinggy!

Thanks for ur comments as well cabbySHE, not selling any of my tools :p but experimenting on lighting and stuffs though. with a cheap < 4 bucks setup

Thanks for dropping by jekyll69 and Dream Merchant! DM I am not into straights yet cause there are too many wonderful DE razors to try!

Hi Aneurysm, I have heard great reviews about the Shavemac D01. It was custom made right ? Supposedly a cream crop selection of the silvertip hair , a soft brush with much more spine than the other silvertip brushes!

Here is my favourite cream, the Arlington , a delightful mix of citrus and fern

3884036449_daf4fd31a9.jpg

* My staple cream is the Godrej menthol mist sc, which i got for a dollar from India! Locally sells for abit more than 2 bucks.

Ryan

The Gillette Ranger Techs - the forefather of Gillette Super Speed series, created for the 1941 christmas but its production ended in less than a year as the WWII progressed. Add the Gillette 7 oclock blade ( my fav blade - costs ard a dollar plus for a pack of 5/6 blades locally ) and you get a low-medium aggressive setup but yet still as engaging. Definitely less aggressive than the Aristocrat series but does not mean you do not need more passes for that baby butt smooth shave every morning!

Good for newbie Double Edge/DE razor wetshavers, the slightly smaller blade exposure gives it abit more tolerance to poorer techniques.

3904410216_cf20fe72f0.jpg

Sometimes it isn’t nice to play rough. My latest shaving cream - the Industrial grade silicone lubricant for a gliding shave. Billy Jealousy Hydropane, no need lathering! Got it off the shelf at Whathewants shop in The Cathay the other day.

4020748158_6934c5f1a9.jpg

Apologies for the nauseating tilt at the background :confused:

Shave well , Be well

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.