The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

cottonbuds2005

Jan 1, 2009
Balam Rd
A week ago I posted a thread exhorting the advantages of self-cleaning your DSLR sensor. I thought I did a good job of cleaning my own sensor (D90 user here) but some of the specks just aren't easy to remove. So I did the inevitable and headed to NSC to get it cleaned by the pros.

But when I got home and ran the "white-paper" tests I noticed that they didn't get rid of all the specks:(. Is there any "warranty" of sorts when it comes to sensor cleaning?

There isn't much anyone can do in sensor cleanup, if you have stubborn dust that sticks like glue no one can help you... why don't you go and have it re-cleaned and show them where is the spot that is bugging you. You have to be realistic that there are only so much anyone can do really. So next time when you change lens, be mindful of the environment.

../azul123

you should check there and than..

there is no 100% clean, spotless sensor in the first place,
we just keep it to a level within acceptable,

anyway, you can go back to them, telling them they have missed some spots

There isn't much anyone can do in sensor cleanup, if you have stubborn dust that sticks like glue no one can help you... why don't you go and have it re-cleaned and show them where is the spot that is bugging you. You have to be realistic that there are only so much anyone can do really. So next time when you change lens, be mindful of the environment.

../azul123

yes, they can replace the filter.

A week ago I posted a thread exhorting the advantages of self-cleaning your DSLR sensor. I thought I did a good job of cleaning my own sensor (D90 user here) but some of the specks just aren't easy to remove. So I did the inevitable and headed to NSC to get it cleaned by the pros.

But when I got home and ran the "white-paper" tests I noticed that they didn't get rid of all the specks:(. Is there any "warranty" of sorts when it comes to sensor cleaning?

Yes, I have 2 friends who experienced the same thing, just go back and let them know they didn't do a good job.

dust is inevitable. agreed with earlier post, you've got to practice the technique(s) of changing lens or handling the body so as not to expose it to dusty environment. it may not be fully cleaned after the 2nd atempt, so my advice, live with it.

as long it doesn't show up in your pics, it's ok

Probably a good thing to do is to highlight to them about the location at where those stubborn dust are at, so that the technicians have a better idea. Sometimes it's hard to identify which part of the sensor has dust on it especially when you look at gazilion sensors daily ( kidding ;p ).

Also you might want to check on the spot after the cleaning... not implying anything but dust you saw may be caused after the sensor cleaning else where. :think:

yes, they can replace the filter.

Cleaning and Changing different thing altogether leh... might cost more also.

../azul123

I had a similar situation, sensor cleaning could not remove a particular spot
I had to change the low-pass filter , warranty over, had to pay
:bheart::cry:

Just a little sidetrack... if your warranty's over, how much does it cost to do clean up at NSC? Any alternative than NSC?

Just a little sidetrack... if your warranty's over, how much does it cost to do clean up at NSC? Any alternative than NSC?

cleaning is not included in the warranty, you need to pay. BTW cleaning sensor in not rocket science, just do it yourself.

cleaning is not included in the warranty, you need to pay. BTW cleaning sensor in not rocket science, just do it yourself.

i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.

i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.

Is it a thin black line running to the focus point when seen through the viewfinder? :)

btw make sure you bring along a lens when you collect the camera so that you can test on the spot. Go near the window and shoot the sky at f22, my guess is that you will still see dust spots.

I still prefer DIY with scotch tape.

btw make sure you bring along a lens when you collect the camera so that you can test on the spot. Go near the window and shoot the sky at f22, my guess is that you will still see dust spots.

I still prefer DIY with scotch tape.

u mean sticking on the censor? wont that leave residue?

so far i used Dust Off...quite effective. No side effects right?

I'm too lazy to go down to NSC all the way from Punggol, so I bought this
LensPen SensorKlear Loupe Kit w/SensorKlear II, can use it as and when I needed.