THE SCREAM OF HUA ZHENG YU

Yappy

May 30, 2004
He screams when he sings.

New trend in the music sphere.

You have to understand the history of "The Singer" series as all along the contest winner goes to a singer that can emote a song well and can also hit the high notes.
Although the series try to include all popular genres a rock singer like him would normally be eliminated before the finals and the rock style of singing usually has "screaming" part to a performance. Bare in mind that the results are decided by the general audience's preference. As you can see/hear he is young at 28 and good looking but he said he has learned through the years and paid his dues. In china you have to prove that you are a good singer in the traditional sense and he does it well by singing "I am what I am". This time around the audience have decided a singer that can sing rock deserves their vote. Listen for yourselves.

EDIT: My apologies.. Hua Chenyu did NOT win 2018's contest which went to tibetan boy who is the better singer which still goes to show chinese audience are very critical listeners so my comments about singers in rock genre has tough time convincing the audience that said a friend told me that a good example of rock but not pure rock (country rock) from the west is John Fogerty of CCR ( Credence Clearwater Revival) or Rod Steward ( Have I ever told you I love you). Both have a distinctive voice. :)

The scream..you mean rock?
Hua Chenyu《呐喊》Scream "Singer 2018" Episode 13【Singer Official Channel】

Another song in rock style heavily post processed.
華晨宇《寒鴉少年》MV【電視劇《鬥破蒼穹》主題曲】Hua Chenyu

This is what convinced the audience I think..he can sing.Look at the reactions below.:)

Hua Chenyu《我》I Am What I Am "Singer 2018" Episode 12【Singer Official Channel】

Last edited:
Hmm "Singer 2018" was won by Jessie J. Hua Chenyu was second. And no tibetan boy won "Singer" or it's predecessor "I Am A Singer" before...