The same old confusion - Prosumer Vs. DSLR, Plz help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujithkamath

Feb 3, 2010
after reading so much of stuff on Prosumers vs. DSLR, my confusion has reached to the next level, making me to defer my decision to buy a camera... I was kinda confused between a NIKON Coolpix P90 (Prosumer) vs. Sony DSLR A200(DSLR).

I feel I am very creative. But it does not mean that I take my camera out every now and then. It comes out very occassionaly. But when it comes out, I make complete utilisation of it.

I was always fascinated about the DOF stuff. I use fantasize taking pictures of people with blurriest of background as possible. I have tried this stuff in a Sony H9 by standing the farthest from the subject and zooming the max possible extent. It worked pretty well. But when I saw some pics in a DSLR, I felt I should take one, just to take pics with the blur background.

But after seeing all the maintenance, dust, blah blah stuff, i am worried I might not be able to handle a DSLR properly. Please suggest me what should I do. I just do not want to repent after shelling out a bomb.:cry::cry::cry:

- How much are you willing to spend on the DSLR body and a fast-enough lens to get thin DOF? Don't forget to include extras like filters, dry box/cabinet, etc
- How much space can you afford at home for your gear (including dry cabinet), should you somehow get affected by the "gear acquisition virus" ?
- How much extra weight/size can you reasonably expect yourself to caarry around on a fairly regular basis?

hi, i have used both a prosumer and a dslr before, started off with prosumer, upgraded to dslr.

here's an article i wrote a while back. some of the information, especially wrt the models available is not up-to-date, but the general parts at the front, they still remain true, and i hope it will help you in making your decision.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282608

some of the photos i like most are still taken with that old prosumer such a long time ago, it seems

original.jpg

original.jpg

Actually dust is not as big a concern as you imagine it. I clean dust off the sensor maybe 2 to 3 times a year. And each time all that was needed was using a blower. And that was with my old camera without any sort of anti dust mechanism. So far with my current camera never had to clean it once since I got it a few months back. As for other maintenance, all that is needed is a dry cab. Just store all your equipment in there set to 40% RH and you are fine.

I started with Prosumer too. And mine is a quite an old model too, dating back to late 2004 and I used it all the way till mid 2009. I still love some of my prosumer pics. But with DSLR it is easier to get OOF blur, and IQ is much better than my old prosumer. However, I was so familiar with my old prosumer that I get the shot I want really fast back then. Here are some from my old Fuji S9500.

3407635850_23c414db65.jpg
3580493418_fe0792a896.jpg

My answer is, stick to prosumer then. It is very hard for people to show you the meaning of difference. Unless you ask that same person to use both camera and take the same picture.

There are distinct situation where dedicated equipments are required. E.g If you want to shoot the distance moon with good detail using camera only, then you will need a longer lens. If you need a strong flash, then you need ETTL hotshoe.

whats the confusion? both take picutres

go 2nd hand if you are nervous about spending too much and making a 'wrong' choice

thanks guys for all the quick response... Actually Mr. night86mare, I got more confused after reading your article. I had read it before starting this thread. It was so good at first that I thought I would go in for a Prosumer but the next page you starting chalking out the cons of the prosumer, which again brought me back to square one.... But after going through the entire set of replies, I think I would go with a prosumer. not because I will not be able to handle it, but I just want to use it and see what i will be missing. probably after sometime, when I feel that I need a DSLR, I would go for one...... Climbing steps one at a time, makes sense, than trying to hop for a higher one and then stumbling back....

Thanks guys... Meeet you after I click a few photos in my new prosumer (I will buy it in a month for sure)...I would need some tips. You would find me somewhere in this forum very sooon ..!!!!

Last edited:
thanks guys for all the quick response... Actually Mr. night86mare, I got more confused after reading your article. I had read it before starting this thread. It was so good at first that I thought I would go in for a Prosumer but the next page you starting chalking out the cons of the prosumer, which again brought me back to square one.... But after going through the entire set of replies, I think I would go with a prosumer. not because I will not be able to handle it, but I just want to use it and see what i will be missing. probably after sometime, when I feel that I need a DSLR, I would go for one...... Climbing steps one at a time, makes sense, than trying to hop for a higher one and then stumbling back....

Thanks guys... Meeet you after I click a few photos in my new prosumer (I will buy it in a month for sure)...I would need some tips. You would find me somewhere in this forum very sooon ..!!!!

Once you outgrow a prosumer, you know you will put a DSLR to good use. And you can pass your prosumer on to your significant other, or siblings or family.

Actually budget plays the most significant part in choosing.
If u had no budget constraint, I will say go for the DSLR

Reason being, the DSLR can perform all functions of the Prosumer, less some useless function gimmicks
But the Prosumer w/ its fixed lens, a lot of limitation

In the end, ur money, ur choice !

Have you considered the following:

Sigma DP1 & DP2

Olympus E-Pen 1 / 2

Panasonic GF1

Canon SX 20

Fujuifilm HS 10

Status
Not open for further replies.