The rubik's cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

likewtfyo

Jan 2, 2007
I took this in my friend's home. i'm totally in love with this picture, but of course, i'd love some critiques and your takes on it.
post-processed at the saturation levels, not cropped nothing.
DSC_6260.jpg

Try a cleaner BG, without the cable and other distractions...

TS, can you elaborate on what you were trying to communicate with the picture? One theme that comes to my mind is work and play. But even then, I don't think you need the person in the background for that. I feel the chain looks distracting.

Doesn't really work for me, WB is way off for one, and I can't see the connection between all the other subjects in the frame.

interested to know why you love this pic? To be honest it doesnt really work for me.

Can't find anything interesting about this pix.

Subject and Bg has totally no connections. You are just playing with the camera DOF control. Sorry no offence. :)

wow...very shallow DOP i must say =p...i quite like the DOP haha...hmm another thing, how come the DOP is so shallow at f/4.8 and at 48mm?

For D80 kit lens, if he focused at 1m away, f4.8 at 48mm should have ABOUT 0.070m=7cm DOF....correct lah.

Btw, where you get the f4.8 and 48mm? I downloaded the pic to check the EXIF, only see D80 without other data....may be my office is using non XP?

wow...very shallow DOP i must say =p...i quite like the DOP haha...hmm another thing, how come the DOP is so shallow at f/4.8 and at 48mm?

Sorry doesnt work for me. Dun know what to comment

For D80 kit lens, if he focused at 1m away, f4.8 at 48mm should have ABOUT 0.070m=7cm DOF....correct lah.

Btw, where you get the f4.8 and 48mm? I downloaded the pic to check the EXIF, only see D80 without other data....may be my office is using non XP?

It's f4.8 (the maximum aperture for the kit lens I suppose at the focal length of 48mm) Can be found via Opanda Iexif.

i'm here. i liked how the picture meant solitude. like how it's being differed so obviously from the background and against a person behind it.
and yes, it sorta meant work and play. i don't really photoshop my picture much, so i prefer the pictures in their austerity.
keep 'em coming, i'd like to know more.

i'm here. i liked how the picture meant solitude. like how it's being differed so obviously from the background and against a person behind it.
and yes, it sorta meant work and play. i don't really photoshop my picture much, so i prefer the pictures in their austerity.
keep 'em coming, i'd like to know more.

its good that u take the critiques positively.

honestly, i like the pic and i get what ur trying to potray.. however the cable really spoils it. if its just the cube and the person in background.. its cool.. the cable.. distracting.. :)

Hmm yes the WB does seem to be off and the colour lacks punch - which isnt what a Rubik's cube should be, all the colourful blocks and all.

Try boosting the saturation in PS and adjusting the curves to bring out the highlights a little more. This will give your pic more oomph.

The rest of my comments are similar to what's already been said - cable is distracting and shot looks slightly underexposed.

Thanks for letting us know more of your point of view :)

If you dont like to post-process, then you better get the settings in-camera right. Set the right white balance, contrast, saturation that you want. (this become subjective as per individual taste)

For the composition itself... I would have prefered less negative space at the bottom of the picture and to include more of the person in the background. And perhaps the computer as well. To show your "work-play" theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.