The road less travelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrocarbon

Jan 29, 2009
4004084307_cd1c6f7734.jpg

1.In what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to seek feedback on the composition of the picture.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to show that the man is trying to cross the road in a rush/faster pace.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took the photo when I was cycling past this railroad when it dawn on me that this was once a very important means of transport but now deemed useless..

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I personally thought that if I was able to shoot more railroad, it would have been

Feel free to comment..thanks!

Hi, good try there, I like the idea u wanted to present. Personally I will try to avoid those OOF foreground that I find a little disturbing. :)

Question:
"2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show that the man is trying to cross the road in a rush/faster pace."

What man are you talkign about?

Other than that, I quite like the photo- the bland colours fit the idea of it being outdated. I don't mind the OOF foreground grass, but may I suggest shifting the composition or camera angle do that the leading lines (the tracks, the metal structure) lead to one of the rule of 1/3 lines? Because now there is little visual focus in the picture... the leading lines lead you to no where.

just mho, hope it helps :)

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took the photo when I was cycling past this railroad when it dawn on me that this was once a very important means of transport but now deemed useless..

didn't really manage to achieve this goal though. how does this photo makes one think that the railroad is useless?
there's no broken/wore out/tattered/etc.. kind of object/focal point to make people think that the railroad is useless now.

didn't really manage to achieve this goal though. how does this photo makes one think that the railroad is useless?
there's no broken/wore out/tattered/etc.. kind of object/focal point to make people think that the railroad is useless now.

hmm..I would think that the rustiness of the railway track and the track that leads to bushes would deem it useless now..I think i shifted my composition more to the right, that would have been clearer..

Thanks for the comment though!

Question:
"2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show that the man is trying to cross the road in a rush/faster pace."

What man are you talkign about?

Other than that, I quite like the photo- the bland colours fit the idea of it being outdated. I don't mind the OOF foreground grass, but may I suggest shifting the composition or camera angle do that the leading lines (the tracks, the metal structure) lead to one of the rule of 1/3 lines? Because now there is little visual focus in the picture... the leading lines lead you to no where.

just mho, hope it helps :)

haha..oops..i forgot to edit..

"I wanted to show an isolated railroad.."

I thought of shifting the composition more to the right, but i was working with contraints..had with me a 100mm macro and uneven terrain..so thats the best I could have done..

However, thanks for the pointers!

rust at ur kind of distance would have been a bit hard to tell on the photo :p go nearer.

Thank you for the laughter post. It made me laugh out loud. I was trying so hard to find a man in the picture, and I thought there was supposed to be a second picture which should load side by side with your first picture.

Until I scrolled down and someone said,"What man are you talking about?"

Thank you for the laughter post. It made me laugh out loud. I was trying so hard to find a man in the picture, and I thought there was supposed to be a second picture which should load side by side with your first picture.

Until I scrolled down and someone said,"What man are you talking about?"

Yah! me too. I though you are using slow speed to blur the man. Than I look closely........don't have leh:bsmilie:

generally i would prefer it BnW hahas. but good pic overall.

This pic works for me :) would prefer without the grassy patch in the foreground though

any idea why you want the grassy patch in the foreground that is oof? does it add to the picture?

also, why not centre this, any reason not to do so? :)

I feel that the plants in the foreground is disturbing the main focus of the picture.It was good to use lines as a composition to lead viewers down the line However there's nothing at the end of the line to look at. I'm sorry i don't see any man in the picture as well. Overall the idea was there =)

any idea why you want the grassy patch in the foreground that is oof? does it add to the picture?

also, why not centre this, any reason not to do so? :)

hmm..good point..ideally I would have wanted to centre the picture more and bringing the bridge more centrally..the railroad actually lead to dense vegetation in the background and that would have really emphasized the point of the road being less travelled.

However, due to the limitation of my 100mm lens and the unstable ground, this was the best angle and distance I could take to fit in the bridge frame..

Ideally I would not have wanted the OOF bush there too..I will try to take a pic using my other lens and let you guys make a comparison..

Thanks for the comments though!

Status
Not open for further replies.