The Risks Street Photographers Take

Oct 2, 2010
hello :) jz curious about some interesting "subject" reactions when we street photographers take their pictures haha any interesting story out there that you're dying to let out? :) should be an interesting thread lol i'll start first.

once i wz trying to take a street portrait of a policeman in hongkong all sweaty and exhausted frm working in the sun and immediately after i took his shot, he turned to me and gave me the :angry: deathstare haha wz so tempted to take another shot with his new "face" but didnt want to risk being arrested or have my equipment confiscated :l

Once I shot up at an auntie hanging up her drying on balcony.

She dumped a bucket of water on me.

Is there a goldfish in there?

If not, you may have to take her out for dinner because she did give you a free shower... :bsmilie:

Last edited:

Is splashing water consider littering? :think:
What water? 洗脚水?

Last edited:
:think::think: But judging from your taste, that auntie must be this:

gong_li_10.jpg

I contribute something from another angle...

Once a photographer tries to take my photo and I almost pour a bottle of water on him....

Bwah... that was like aeons ago, and now I'm looking at it from his perspective -_-;;

omg that sucks :l equipment got soaked?

I contribute something from another angle...

Once a photographer tries to take my photo and I almost pour a bottle of water on him....

Bwah... that was like aeons ago, and now I'm looking at it from his perspective -_-;;

haha lol congratulations on "repenting" and walking in the "light" now hahaha

kns. sion, i must stop reading ur stuff. i smiled at this, WOUND REOPEN AGAIN:cry:

kns. sion, i must stop reading ur stuff. i smiled at this, WOUND REOPEN AGAIN:cry:

AHAHAHA! Kena twice already sia you. :bsmilie:

Hmm for me i was trying to photograph this woman at a ulu cafe along the esplanade area. Her expression, body language etc is what triggered me to take that moment. She look so stress out and exhausted.

And as you know, females tends to mood swings a lot so i was being cautious as i don't want to be noticed by her. I than started walking/moving like a ninja and my friend was giving me the :sweat: face. Afterwards when i took the shot i realise got a few aunties looking at me and my friend said that they have been looking at me for quite awhile already. Damn paiseh. :embrass:

in japan.. a friend and i were photographing how the high school girls behave on the streets after school.. shot from the hips to behind us :p
back in singapore, we realized they were doing those v(^_^)V poses in the pictures. HAHA. and i thought we would get away with our "stealth"

first time this happened.

moral of the story, you can't be sneakier than a Japanese. even their motorcycles and cars are so quiet!

The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him.:nono: He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters.:cry: I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).:bsmilie:

Here's Mr. Personality:
DSC06462b-1.jpg

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.

seeing so much danger and excitment.... anybody act innocent use the iphone for street photography and got caught?

So far for me nothing danger happen .. I took photo of kids playing in fountain .. Got once .. I prepare to leave the fountain the kid's mum stop me ... Ask me to send her her kid photo ... Haha

The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him.:nono: He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters.:cry: I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).:bsmilie:

Here's Mr. Personality:
DSC06462b-1.jpg

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.

The guy's a freaking idiot. :nono:

I once saw this large burly guy kick another guy hard on the leg for accidentally stepping on his shoe. And taunted him some more.

Many years ago many including myself found street photography very obtrusive and intimidating seeing people with long zoom lenses. YOu could also tell that some of them are kind of shooting something else but sneakily trying to take pictures of people. Then the pedo thing started to circulate and people wondered if photographers were really shooting casually or shooting for something worth more? I once met a french guy who wanted to do business in taking random pictures of people on the beach, creepy to say the least.

That's why I don't shoot people much if at all unless they're far away, looking the other way or they don't mind. My advice is not to provoke anyone unless there's a connection that both party feels ok about it. In my recent Uluru trip I found that the Aboriginal people themselves did not like their pictures taken. Their perspective was that seeing all these tourists coming over to their land taking pictures of rocks and animals meant that capturing them on film would also consider them as some kind of specimen or exhibits as well. There is also the spiritual side of it as well.

I personally feel 'stomp' spoils the whole thing... People tend to be more sensitive towards photographer because of all the craps inside.

But the readers always forget that most of the photos taken in stomps are from phones :/

Here's Mr. Personality:
DSC06462b-1.jpg

Woa that sucks.. Haha time to learn some self-defence move!