The Rise and Fall of DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriantanhc

Mar 22, 2005
For those who are more advance in age, might remember the excitment of manual SLR technologies. Then came the autofocus, then the compact, and then the bulky digital back with very much SLR front.

Today we see what i would call mini-DSLR with quality and functions surpassing early DSLR models.

Looking down the road, it won't be long when 99.99% of photographers would not have the need to use heavy and bulky DLSR when small, light and cheap new models can offer same performance.

Question would then be, how high a resolution will the mass consumer market grab for? Many of us today could be holding a 12Mp specification but set at lower level, 5mp seems to be common.

I see the end of full size DSLR in the real near future. Delay not by users, but the makers themselves to keep their production lines / parts / dealers breathing.

The full-sized SLR body has been around for many decades, so I don't think it'll be extinct so soon. Many things about photography are still connected to historical factors. (Like why are the majority of DSLRs still black?)

Perhaps for the consumer end, we will see more compacts with interchangeable lenses (ala GH-1 and the E-P1). But for the professional market, anything else other than the traditional-shaped SLR body just simply won't do.

digital compacts and pro-sumers will die... but the DSLR will continue to live.

For those who are more advance in age, might remember the excitment of manual SLR technologies. Then came the autofocus, then the compact, and then the bulky digital back with very much SLR front.

Today we see what i would call mini-DSLR with quality and functions surpassing early DSLR models.

Looking down the road, it won't be long when 99.99% of photographers would not have the need to use heavy and bulky DLSR when small, light and cheap new models can offer same performance.

Question would then be, how high a resolution will the mass consumer market grab for? Many of us today could be holding a 12Mp specification but set at lower level, 5mp seems to be common.

I see the end of full size DSLR in the real near future. Delay not by users, but the makers themselves to keep their production lines / parts / dealers breathing.
are you referring to consumer grade camera or professional grade camera?

extinct of DLSR? consumer grade, maybe.
professional grade, no, unless people stop buying photos from professionals...

anyway, do you know most of the high end DSLR users are non professionals?

I see a future without camera.

Every beer can will have a miniature disposal digicam in it.

We just drink beer and take photos all day. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I can print photos from image inside my eyeballs.... and Canon will sell L lens Eyeballs with a Red Ring... :bsmilie:

are you referring to consumer grade camera or professional grade camera?

anyway, do you know most of the high end DSLR users are non professionals?

Yeah, there are many, many rich amateurs holding those 1Ds, D3, D3x etc and coupled with L lenses, trinity lenses etc. That is what I observed during a model shoot. Well, my gear is proletariat class compared to those bourgeois gear :bigeyes:

My personal preference would be the view finder type of camera with the mini-4/3 size sensor and only 6Mp and interchangeable lenses. I suppose that might be the future of serious amateur photography.

Well, the logic is that with digital, we do not need the cumbersome mirror, shutter, pentaprism etc. And then, how many amateur really need more than 6Mp? Just a few years ago, 6Mp used to be the standard for dSLR. And for 6Mp, the mini-4/3 sensor size would be ideal.....:think:

I can print photos from image inside my eyeballs.... and Canon will sell L lens Eyeballs with a Red Ring... :bsmilie:
Ghost_in_the_Shell_SAC_Saito_Hawkeye.jpg

:bsmilie:

Digital photography is only a passing dream ..... everyone gets involved because it is so easy and cheap, and most will give up one fine day because there will come a time where shooting is no more "in" since you can shoot anything, anytime with even, like what bro Phao said, an iphone! ....
only the serious shooters will carry the flame to the next generation ......:dunno:

Just wondering do I need to swtich Eyeballs for UWA to Telephoto or not ?? :think: And does each eye comes in f2.8 or do I have to pay extra for f2.8 eyeballs.... :sweat:

Digital photography is only a passing dream ..... everyone gets involved because it is so easy and cheap, and most will give up one fine day because there will come a time where shooting is no more "in" since you can shoot anything, anytime with even, like what bro Phao said, an iphone! ....
only the serious shooters will carry the flame to the next generation ......:dunno:

Provided that Serious Shooters could get some in the next generation interested.... if not, then it still will slowly die out. :sweat:

Unless human hands get smaller in the future, big sized cameras will still be around for generations to come.

Eye focusing had been a known technology in Canon EOS 3. If the manufacturer can enhanced the focusing method into a tracking machanism will be benefitcial. Which means no more focusing points but targeting system. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Love all the creative views!

Yes many non-pro are using pro bodies. Nothing new, cars, equity investments etc, they all need 'consumer / specular' in addtional to the professionals to stay afloat.

The challenge is for the pros to differentiate their output. With ease of software, help of auto-setting in camera, many non-pro today could produce rather decent results with some efforts.

The beauty of photography will not die, that is for sure. Thus it is a good thing that more quality photos are being produced by pros and non-pros for everyone to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.