The Review of Eye-Fi Pro X2

marky

Feb 15, 2006
Singapore, Singapore
I've just received my Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SD Card brought directly from Amazon.com. Waited for about 1.5 weeks before the item was sent directly to my doorstep. Took it for a short test run and here's the review for the card.

6027414133_8cfd5ccbe2.jpg

The package is finally here!!

6027967932_e14035655a.jpg

Wrapped around with some bubble wrap

6027970244_9526c3f76a.jpg

6027421375_5c34cd596c.jpg

Inside the package

6027423677_864a9576e3.jpg

Technical Information from Eye-fi Official Website.
Class 6
802.11 b/g/n capability
Endless Memory Mode
Direct Mode

MEMORY CAPACITY
WIRELESS UPLOADS
Automatic Photo & Video Uploads
RAW

COOL FEATURES
Effortless Online Sharing
Automatic Geotagging
On-The-Go Uploads with Hotspot Access

Setting up of software
Its relatively easy in the installation of the software. Once u have plugged in the memory card, the installation program is inside the memory card. Just double click on either Win or Mac installation program and let it run. It'll auto run the updates if the latest version of the software is not installed and it even updates the latest version for the Eye-Fi Card.

Once installed, it'll let you create an account with Eye-Fi.

6028113544_183273d872.jpg

Test Drive
After all the settings have been done on for the card. I've synced it to my ipad 2, under the direct mode. Used my EPL-1 with the Eye-Fi Card inside. Took some sample shots and it was uploaded to my ipad almost instantly. It takes about 3-4 Secs for a 6 MB photo to be sent over.

Next tested was with a sd-cf adapter inserted into my Olympus E3. There was no lag during the transfer when my ipad was just beside the camera. The problem arises when i left my ipad in the room and took the camera out to the living room to take some shots and it was disconnected from my ipad. It took slightly awhile before the ipad can find the network and connect.

There are actually some known issues for the CF card adaptor from the Eye-Fi Website but i didn't face any problems with it.

According the website: http://support.eye.fi/product-info/...nown-issues-with-compact-flash-card-adapters/
Some known issues are:
- Wireless range of the Eye-Fi Card is noticeably reduced.
- Formatting the Eye-Fi Card in a CF adapter has caused the Eye-Fi Card to fail.
- File corruption of photos.

Last edited:
COOL FEATURES
Effortless Online Sharing + On-The-Go Uploads with Hotspot Access

This is probably one of the easiest online sharing mode. Settings inside the Eye-Fi Centre allows you to actually upload your photos directly to Facebook, Flickr, Picasa and Youtube. You'll just need to set to your wireless modem or any Hotspot access to the internet, it will just upload your photos to whichever website you have set in the Eye-Fi Centre. You can see it from the image below.

6027561483_60f506b4f5.jpg

Automatic Geotagging - This is one area i've yet to try out.

Adhoc
I've actually spent half a day setting my Netbook wifi to the Eye-Fi Card. I've actually not done any adhoc networkings before thats why i took so long to set it up. Once it was configured properly, I've took my camera for a quick shot and the image was uploaded to my netbook immediately and you'll need the Eye-Fi Helper to be running in the background. But you can only configure it to one computer or Ipad at a time and this can be done easily.

Compatibility

I believe the Eye-Fi cards supports most brands of cameras now.
http://support.eye.fi/product-info/...is-the-eye-fi-card-compatible-with-my-camera/

The Eye-Fi Card is somewhat slightly longer (2mm?) than the normal SD cards. But it suits my cameras just fine

6028010842_3b9a285ff4.jpg

From the website, there are some cameras that have issues with the Eye-Fi card, better check them out before getting one.

http://support.eye.fi/support-resources/troubleshooting/camera-questions/

Oh yes.. Adhoc is only for the Pro cards..
Do you mean "Direct Mode" as shown here?

I think all X2 version support this feature.

I just brought the Mobile version recently. Still at testing phase. ;p

Zeus73 said:
Do you mean "Direct Mode" as shown here?

I think all X2 version support this feature.

I just brought the Mobile version recently. Still at testing phase. ;p

If i'm not wrong, this Direct mode is direct to iOS or Android devices. Adhoc is more for adhoc networking to the laptop. I have to setup adhoc networking on my netbook before my wifi is able to connect to the card. Anyway i'm still in the testing phase.

marky said:
If i'm not wrong, this Direct mode is direct to iOS or Android devices. Adhoc is more for adhoc networking to the laptop. I have to setup adhoc networking on my netbook before my wifi is able to connect to the card. Anyway i'm still in the testing phase.

See http://support.eye.fi/how-to-connect-an-eye-fi-card-to-an-ad-hoc-network/ and http://support.eye.fi/product-info/.../does-the-eye-fi-card-support-ad-hoc-wi-fi-2/

I managed to connect laptop to Eye-Fi card using the Direct mode.

I tested to ipAD - works

After reading conflicting reports online, can you clarify something about the geotagging feature? Does it geotag the location at the time of capture (while on a once in a lifetime photo trip to Mongolia say) or at the time of upload (at home after the trip )?

electron said:
After reading conflicting reports online, can you clarify something about the geotagging feature? Does it geotag the location at the time of capture (while on a once in a lifetime photo trip to Mongolia say) or at the time of upload (at home after the trip )?

Let me try and test it out as i've only recently gotten the eye-fi card

I've just received my Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SD Card brought directly from Amazon.com. Waited for about 1.5 weeks before the item was sent directly to my doorstep.

How much you paid (+ shipping cost) har?

DD Electronics selling it at S$183.

UncleFai said:
How much you paid (+ shipping cost) har?

DD Electronics selling it at S$183.

USD $84.77 (i've clicked the 5 days free shipping) + vpost shipping at SGD$11 (using a vpost discount code, original shipping cost is ard $22).

Since have to wait might as well save more by waiting a few days longer.

Last edited:

Apparently the geotagging is not working for me.. have to do more testing..

Apparently the geotagging is not working for me.. have to do more testing..
I think geotagging and hotspot access work for some countries only.

Hello!!

I would like to learn how to order the X2 Pro online.. any quick tips? I want to get the lowest price, don't mind the wait time :)
saw someone selling for $160 in clubsnap.. but it's still too ex for me, but I want to start a mini mobile studio as a student in my school, to earn some pocket money haha :p
Or anywhere to get 2nd hand ones also can! Couldn't find much on clubsnap, guess it's still not too popular among here, or no one decided to sell?

Thanks a lot!! :)

Last edited:
turtlez86 said:
Hello!!

I would like to learn how to order the X2 Pro online.. any quick tips? I want to get the lowest price, don't mind the wait time :)
saw someone selling for $160 in clubsnap.. but it's still too ex for me, but I want to start a mini mobile studio as a student in my school, to earn some pocket money haha :p
Or anywhere to get 2nd hand ones also can! Couldn't find much on clubsnap, guess it's still not too popular among here, or no one decided to sell?

Thanks a lot!! :)

Just buy it from Amazon.com and setup an account at Vpost.com.sg. Direct the shipping to ur vpost address in US. Once they have recieved it, they'll ship it to singapore. 2nd hands are quite hard to find. Any other questions u can pm me..

I also have this card for a while (I got mine less than USD60!, from Amazon also......amazon uses some comp. software to set their prices, and once in a while you can get very good deals on their stuff... i got many times already...)

Anyway, geotagging works for me, and i tried on a few cameras (sony, canon and fujifilm compact and GF2)... BUT it will NOT work on Raw format - GF2 raw cannot work.

to clear some doubts some members have,.... the geotaging is quite accurate and work indoors when the true gps unit fail (I tried at funan 4th storery eating place, city plaza , taka shopping center. 'the card record some relevant data available from available wifi signal at the point of capture, and when you upload later, the eyefi sw/system uses this data and somehow can decipher from web database to locate the location and write onto your image (non raw files). so far so good. GPS signal is not required.

BUT, overall, I do seems to get the shiok or nobel feeling using the card.- in my dry box now since my last geotagging test at taka... direct mode is fun but... anyway.. some will like it.