The rain has gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I took this shot in a spur of a moment. So I apologize if it seems that this image give the a lack of planning impression. So anyway, what I want to portray is; there's always be sunshine after the rain. That is the main story behind it.

So this picture was shot as I walked pass a puddle, it was near dusk.

reflection.jpg

So I would love to hear your comments and critiques with regards to whether or not I manage to send the story across, the composition and other things that need to be address.

I'm a newbie btw, so I hope by posting here I can learn more from fellow photographers out there.

Thanks
:)

I didn't get what you meant. Anyway, some techical stuff. Your image doesn't look sharp, it wasn't a still puddle?
There is only a little tinge of red in the image so I couldn't really see the 'sunshine after the rain'. Composition wise, too much space on the bottom. Subject isn't interesting as well. Overall the image didn't work for me but that's just me.

Waaa... catch no ball why you took this shot... Bad resolution... No sharpness...

One day you'll look back and understand the greatness of this shot. Sharpness is totally unnecessary. And though the impact of the photo is not about sunshine after rain, the tinge of yellow sunlight is what makes this photo great.

there is an idea here, but it is poorly executed, i would prefer a flipped version of the image, and yes, as mentioned by others - it is not sharp - and that's not so important..

but i'm sure the framing can be improved. far too much space at the bottom (or top, if you flip it)

Tiramisu you should check out on of the stickies on Critique Corner. Titled 'Responsible Comments in Critique Corner'.

I didn't get what you meant. Anyway, some techical stuff. Your image doesn't look sharp, it wasn't a still puddle?
There is only a little tinge of red in the image so I couldn't really see the 'sunshine after the rain'. Composition wise, too much space on the bottom. Subject isn't interesting as well. Overall the image didn't work for me but that's just me.

Waaa... catch no ball why you took this shot... Bad resolution... No sharpness...

there is an idea here, but it is poorly executed, i would prefer a flipped version of the image, and yes, as mentioned by others - it is not sharp - and that's not so important..

but i'm sure the framing can be improved. far too much space at the bottom (or top, if you flip it)

Thanks for your inputs. really appreciate it. i guess I failed this time but no worries plenty of opportunity to practice and improve.

One day you'll look back and understand the greatness of this shot. Sharpness is totally unnecessary. And though the impact of the photo is not about sunshine after rain, the tinge of yellow sunlight is what makes this photo great.

I don't get what u mean. Very philosophical:sweat:

1- there's tilt
2- there's noise / blurr / not focused; more likely from a 1.3 mega pixels handphone camera
3- the unnecessary yellow lights on the right takes the subject away
4- shot in a spur of a moment most unlikely produces images of quality; esp for a newbie like me. Everything needs to be pre-calculated and carefully thought, or else it would just be another snapshot. This is the main skill of a photographer; to think and act fast, given any situation that caught his attention.
5- Yes, I agree that the idea is there and can be improved on, see point 4
6- keep shooting; keep learning more and keep progressing !

Photography is not just about sharpness. It's not about pre-planning everything, PS-ing everything.

One of the most famous images of the Normandy landings (http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/capa_beach.jpg) is neither sharp nor well-exposed. In fact, it's quite blurry and noisy.

But that picture is far more impactful because of its blurry, unsharp, shadowy nature. It conveys the movement, the dark frightening moment very well.

I think the TS's picture has a very impressionistic quality. Far better than if the picture had been totally sharp and over-PSed.

1- there's tilt
2- there's noise / blurr / not focused; more likely from a 1.3 mega pixels handphone camera
3- the unnecessary yellow lights on the right takes the subject away
4- shot in a spur of a moment most unlikely produces images of quality; esp for a newbie like me. Everything needs to be pre-calculated and carefully thought, or else it would just be another snapshot. This is the main skill of a photographer; to think and act fast, given any situation that caught his attention.
5- Yes, I agree that the idea is there and can be improved on, see point 4
6- keep shooting; keep learning more and keep progressing !

I believe there's a huge difference in the purpose of every photo taken. Time and event is another matter.
We may guess correctly the reason behind the blurry image of the warzone - constrain of time and priority, and perhaps the availability of technology.

if i am not wrong----- it is an image from the water on street floor after raining -- look at this angle, it is a great moment of an idea!

if i am not wrong----- it is an image from the water on street floor after raining -- look at this angle, it is a great moment of an idea!

It IS an image from the water on street floor after raining' because skazwan the threadstarter have already mentioned it IS a puddle.

i kinda got what you are trying to capture...if only the puddle was bigger haha.

however whats that red light... dun look like sun shine...is it some other reflection from street lamps?
and the funny yellow lights to the right of ur image. doesnt add anything to your image.

i agree with the rest tilting the image(hdb buildings upright). would look better....

Last edited:
Hi, I took this shot in a spur of a moment. So I apologize if it seems that this image give the a lack of planning impression. So anyway, what I want to portray is; there's always be sunshine after the rain. That is the main story behind it.

So this picture was shot as I walked pass a puddle, it was near dusk.

reflection.jpg

So I would love to hear your comments and critiques with regards to whether or not I manage to send the story across, the composition and other things that need to be address.

I'm a newbie btw, so I hope by posting here I can learn more from fellow photographers out there.

Thanks
:)

The sky looks sharp and the building is not sharp.......... try to focus the bilding rather than the sky....... keep up the good work............ :thumbsup: by than you using a DSLR, a PnS or a Hp camera??

Last edited:
Photography is not just about sharpness. It's not about pre-planning everything, PS-ing everything.

One of the most famous images of the Normandy landings (http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/capa_beach.jpg) is neither sharp nor well-exposed. In fact, it's quite blurry and noisy.

But that picture is far more impactful because of its blurry, unsharp, shadowy nature. It conveys the movement, the dark frightening moment very well.

I think the TS's picture has a very impressionistic quality. Far better than if the picture had been totally sharp and over-PSed.

I believe there's a huge difference in the purpose of every photo taken. Time and event is another matter.
We may guess correctly the reason behind the blurry image of the warzone - constrain of time and priority, and perhaps the availability of technology.

Thanks for your opinions. Point noted :)

It IS an image from the water on street floor after raining' because skazwan the threadstarter have already mentioned it IS a puddle.

:bsmilie:

i kinda got what you are trying to capture...if only the puddle was bigger haha.

however whats that red light... dun look like sun shine...is it some other reflection from street lamps?
and the funny yellow lights to the right of ur image. doesnt add anything to your image.

i agree with the rest tilting the image(hdb buildings upright). would look better....

Point noted and I agree with you on that. And yeah, those are streetlights and some NTUC lights.

The sky looks sharp and the building is not sharp.......... try to focus the bilding rather than the sky....... keep up the good work............ :thumbsup: by than you using a DSLR, a PnS or a Hp camera??

Point noted. A DSLR. It was kindda dark so i uped the ISO and tried to brightened up the picture abit but pocess very limited ps skills. Hence, the noise. :sweat:

constructive commments pls

to TS:

i though it was abit noisy and maybe a fip up version will look better?

as for the blur effect i feel its ok. some misty feeling "D

constructive commments pls

to TS:

i though it was abit noisy and maybe a fip up version will look better?

as for the blur effect i feel its ok. some misty feeling "D

I tried to flipped but somehow it looks abut weird(at least to me).I guess it's because of some flaws on the composition as pointed out by a few people here. Well at least I've got some valuable tips here and thanks all for ur views and insights. Will take note of it when I go out shooting in the future. :)

Don't quite fully agree with your comment on this. Yes, photography is not about sharpness, but in this case, if we are talking about sunshine after the rain, a clearer and sharper picture would indeed play towards his favour in conveying the message he is thinking about.

To TS: great attempt. You definitely have the idea there. Hone in on those imaginative skills, and you will get great pictures in no time. Technicality is really secondary, especially in photography.

Now, here's some comments for you to think about:

1) Loose the Grass. The puddle itself is good enough. You do not need to "downgrade" your vision by telling people that it's a side-walk.

2) Loose the post. The lamp-post at the right hand side of the frame is not working towards the favour as well.

3) Add noise. The best way to play around a noisy photo is to make it even more noisy. No joke.

4) Blur the edges. The best way to counter blur photo, is to make it more blur.

5) Selective saturation. Play around to make the orange and the reds a bit more saturated, and adjust the blue to be a bit more unsaturated. This will give a stronger message of the sunshine after the rain.

Anyway, the photo is not really a keeper, but the idea is great. Work along more along the line of these thoughts, and your photographs will definitely be good in no time. :)

Don't quite fully agree with your comment on this. Yes, photography is not about sharpness, but in this case, if we are talking about sunshine after the rain, a clearer and sharper picture would indeed play towards his favour in conveying the message he is thinking about.

To TS: great attempt. You definitely have the idea there. Hone in on those imaginative skills, and you will get great pictures in no time. Technicality is really secondary, especially in photography.

Now, here's some comments for you to think about:

1) Loose the Grass. The puddle itself is good enough. You do not need to "downgrade" your vision by telling people that it's a side-walk.

2) Loose the post. The lamp-post at the right hand side of the frame is not working towards the favour as well.

3) Add noise. The best way to play around a noisy photo is to make it even more noisy. No joke.

4) Blur the edges. The best way to counter blur photo, is to make it more blur.

5) Selective saturation. Play around to make the orange and the reds a bit more saturated, and adjust the blue to be a bit more unsaturated. This will give a stronger message of the sunshine after the rain.

Anyway, the photo is not really a keeper, but the idea is great. Work along more along the line of these thoughts, and your photographs will definitely be good in no time. :)

Thanks for the really deep insights, really appreciate it man. I've never thought abt point no. 3, 4 and 5, sound interesting. A must try.

hehe sorry did not read

Status
Not open for further replies.