The Problem with Fast Lenses......

I feel fine with the fact camera manufacturers "game the system" to achieve correct exposure rather than taking videography's approach. In videography they ultimately need a consistent exposure & noise level throught the whole clip, a bit of change in DoF wont affect viewer's experience much.

Vise versa it's a completely different story in photography. We want to CONTROL exactly how much DoF in evey single shoot by F stop. Therefore if we adopt the T stop approach, we will end-up with inconsistent DoF (constant shutter speed) for the photo series if we change lens.

I dont know how true this statement ""In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended." But I'm pretty sure that my 50mm f/1.4 produce thinner DoF than my 50mm f/1.8 haha.

I feel fine with the fact camera manufacturers "game the system" to achieve correct exposure rather than taking videography's approach. In videography they ultimately need a consistent exposure & noise level throught the whole clip, a bit of change in DoF wont affect viewer's experience much.

Vise versa it's a completely different story in photography. We want to CONTROL exactly how much DoF in evey single shoot by F stop. Therefore if we adopt the T stop approach, we will end-up with inconsistent DoF (constant shutter speed) for the photo series if we change lens.

I dont know how true this statement ""In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended." But I'm pretty sure that my 50mm f/1.4 produce thinner DoF than my 50mm f/1.8 haha.

and my 50 1.2 produces shallower dof than my 50 1.4... but then again they were tlaking about cmos sensors n my d200 uses ccd.. i hope thats not the case tho, cos i want shallow dof..

Interesting to see how it unfolds. But i dun think it will impact much users in a sense. I still appreciate my fast primes ;p

Ryan

Wow! This is an interesting article....