The Prime Club

Are you a prime lens user?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#1
Hi

following on from this thread, this is a friendly poll to find out how many photographers here use prime lenses more than 80% of the time in their shooting.

Whether it's a 20mm or a 600mm, if u find yourself attached to lenses of fixed focal length, then this poll is for u! :cool:
 

togu

Senior Member
Jul 11, 2002
5,290
0
0
44
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
#3
Originally posted by Wai
i shoot primes abt 30% with 1 prime lens (50mm/f1.8) loves the small size and big aperture

i want 50/f1.4 :rbounce:
What about your 50mm f1.0 then?? :eek:


Heh, I just started off with prime, already starts to love my only 50mm, esp the size. Will probably try the 85 and 100mm too, provided someone is nice enough to.... ;p
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#4
Originally posted by togu


What about your 50mm f1.0 then?? :eek:


Heh, I just started off with prime, already starts to love my only 50mm, esp the size. Will probably try the 85 and 100mm too, provided someone is nice enough to.... ;p
isn't 50 on your D60 too long? ;P

u should try either the 28 f2.8 or the 35 f2 - both would give about 50mm on your D60, making it more general purpose!
 

togu

Senior Member
Jul 11, 2002
5,290
0
0
44
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
#6
Originally posted by Red Dawn


isn't 50 on your D60 too long? ;P

u should try either the 28 f2.8 or the 35 f2 - both would give about 50mm on your D60, making it more general purpose!
IC, hrm, gotta try out both 28 and 35 as well. :)
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#8
I am sjamelessly a zoom lens person. My one and only prime is 50mm f1.8 sittin' duck in the closet.....only used once since bought it.
 

sriram

New Member
Mar 10, 2002
1,253
0
0
#10
I shoot with 2 primes almost all the time. They are much smaller and lighter than zooms. The cheap 50/1.8 I shoot is blisteringly sharp compared to any zoom in that range. And no zoom goes up to f/1.8. Large apertures (f/1.8-f/2) have allowed me to capture shots I could never have done otherwise. Example: [Paramita watching balloons fly up]


The other favourite lens is my 100/2.8 USM macro. It's THE sharpest lens I have ever come across. It is a multi purpose lens, makes a great portrait lens and doubles as a great closeup lens. Its sharpness and flat field, corner to corner contrast and sharpness are stunning wide open at f/2.8, something very rare in lenses. With the 50/1.8 or 35/2 one has to stop down a bit for optimum performance, but this baby does just fine wide open, and handles like silk. The AF is insanely fast with the focus limiter...makes a great walk around lens too.
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#11
Mixed user here, Love the AFS 17-35 and 28-70 but otherwise use primes, espeically the 28 PC Nikkor and 300mm plus superteles which get as much use or more than the shorter lenses.
 

oceanxp

Senior Member
Jun 27, 2002
546
0
16
NUS
Visit site
#12
hi ,

pardon me for saying ...

1) what is the difference between a lower F value and high F value ? e.g. F1.4 and F1.8 ?


2) how will lower F value improve sharpness ? coz from my experiences there are other factors involved ....

hope someone can enlighten me
:D
 

hazardman

New Member
Aug 10, 2002
288
0
0
35
Eunos
Visit site
#13
i'm a zoom lens person...
however i noe e pros of prime lens too.. will be buying either a 50 or a 100 macro 2.8
Siram..how much u buy?
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#14
Originally posted by oceanxp
1) what is the difference between a lower F value and high F value ? e.g. F1.4 and F1.8 ?
The faster the lens (ie: smaller the number of the maximum aperture is, eg: F1.4 vs 1.8) the more light that is passed to the film with the lens wide open.

Originally posted by oceanxp
2) how will lower F value improve sharpness ? coz from my experiences there are other factors involved ....
This is a bit of a mixed bag question. With shorter focal lengths (sub 200mm or so) many fast lenses perform quite poorly wide open when compared to a lens of the same focal length with a slower F ratio. This is particularly the case with lenses in the 28-50mm length range. However the advantage of having a lens that's 1-2 stops faster than normal is repayed with shutter speeds that are 1-2 stops faster, thus allowing you to use a shorter exposure in low light conditions for example.

With longer lenses, in particular fast long glass of 200mm plus focal length most of the lenses are optimised to produce their best image quality wide open.
 

jasonpgc

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
453
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by oceanxp


1) what is the difference between a lower F value and high F value ? e.g. F1.4 and F1.8 ?

Only 2/3 stop difference.... :p

Here's an example of aperture in 1/3 stop increment.
f 1.0, f 1.2, f1.3, f1.4, f 1.5, f 1.7, f 2.0, f 2.2, f 2.5, f 2.8 ...... and so on.


Originally posted by oceanxp


2) how will lower F value improve sharpness ? coz from my experiences there are other factors involved ....
This depend on whether if the lense is a zoom or prime....

Zooms are designed to operate with a range of focal length. Therefore, they'll be pushing the limit of physics to achieve reasonable quality at aperture such as f/2.8. As such, the more expensive zoom will give very good performace at f4, but usually only "acceptable" quality at f 2.8. Cheaper zoom will have "improve sharpeness" at f 8.

Primes are dedicated for one focal length, Therefore, custom designs can be made for smaller lenses to prevent image distortion, improve sharpness, color and aperture speed. As such, all primes usually give super performance at f/2.8 and the more expensive ones will give "acceptable" quality at f 1.4. But, have you ever find a zoom with f 1.4? Lastly, Primes with max aperture at f2.8 usually give very good performance even at wide open.

:p
 

sriram

New Member
Mar 10, 2002
1,253
0
0
#16
Originally posted by hazardman
i'm a zoom lens person...
however i noe e pros of prime lens too.. will be buying either a 50 or a 100 macro 2.8
Siram..how much u buy?
The Canon 50/1.8 is around $135 and the 100/2.8 USM macro is around $980. You can get used ones now for around $800++. Might want to look at the Tokina 90/2.8 macro as well (much cheaper), that is, if you are seriously into macro photography.

BTW if you are not really serious about macro photography you will save a lot of money if you don't buy a macro lens. Look at the other lenses in this range - 85/1.8, 100/2, etc. Less than half the price of the macro lens(es). They are superb lenses too.
 

hazardman

New Member
Aug 10, 2002
288
0
0
35
Eunos
Visit site
#17
Originally posted by sriram

The Canon 50/1.8 is around $135 and the 100/2.8 USM macro is around $980. You can get used ones now for around $800++. Might want to look at the Tokina 90/2.8 macro as well (much cheaper), that is, if you are seriously into macro photography.

BTW if you are not really serious about macro photography you will save a lot of money if you don't buy a macro lens. Look at the other lenses in this range - 85/1.8, 100/2, etc. Less than half the price of the macro lens(es). They are superb lenses too.
85/1.8, 100/2 are canon?
 

greg

New Member
Jul 24, 2002
409
0
0
#20
21mm - new
35mm
50mm
90mm

I use them extensively and ffor the 21mm, bought it only last week.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom