The price is right

lotus80

Apr 9, 2012
Pasir Ris
Wondering how is the value of used gear perceived amongst folks in BnS

As an example: a gentleman looking to buy mint condition Nikon 50mm 1.8G for $120.
And the other selling the same for $280 (mint)

Both are ridiculous prices, brand new sells for $279

lotus80 said:

As an example: a gentleman looking to buy mint condition Nikon 50mm 1.8G for $120.

$120 for 50mm 1.8G do you think is possible?
If I wanna sell at it price and at lease the lens have something wrong or very bad cond as dent or AF hunting issue.

This lens brand new around $275-280.
Just forget it and wish him good Luck to be selling the new price.

120 can get 1.8D but not G. No-one will be crazy to release at the price.

Just sidetrack - be very very careful when seller asking price is low or seems anxious to sell. I went down to a seller's place yday to view a "mint condition" lens. The lens filter thread was scuffed for a good 5cm or so, and front element cover (surrounding the glass) popped up a bit...so much for the described "mint" condition. Anyway gave the seller benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Prices is subjective..... all sellers want to sell at the highest possible price, all buyers want to buy at the lowest possible price.
That's where doing your own homework comes in.

Also must understand, that fella who's selling at $280, maybe he bought it at much higher price and is not aware of the market price?
After a few weeks (or months) of it not selling, I'm sure he will adjust.

Unless a sucker comes along. ;)

simple.... then no transaction takes place

people post WTS and WTB to transact ...... price will determine chance of transaction ...

lowballer waiting for rich bo chap seller
highballer waiting for those who never do their price homework

TS... remember a simple rule.

Buyer Willing, Seller Willing

Anyone here could put down the price they willing to buy or sell... but finding a willing Buyer/Seller is the problem... :think:

"Ooi! hello! managing your expectations!!" the big brother says

I know most sellers will price higher, expecting to be negotiated to the real target price

Rashkae said:
I know most sellers will price higher, expecting to be negotiated to the real target price

How about those that list a price that's higher or close to new local or grey set, and state "fixed" or "firm", with a huge disclaimer "low ballers stay far far away"? :p

I always have buyers trying to take quite a fair bit off the offered price and say "if ur willing to deal at that price we can have a fast deal". Like hello, I don't need a fast deal, I need a right price.

Just this week I put on sale a mint Hitech pro stop 10. I had someone using that line and trying to pry it from me for $100 bucks and even tell me all the homework he did and he know TK foto sell for 165 blah blah blah. Nd110 goes for 100 when the brand new goes for 140 plus minus.

I've not sold any really expensive gears so I've not really had a mega attempt to rip me off. I've heard of horror offers from sellers who got offered ridiculous prices.

But at the end of the day, the seller always have the right not to sell.

Last edited:
Or wait for the marke to be saturated with the Tim that you want. Then sellers will be more than willing to lower their prices. Like all those people elling thir D7k now to buy a D600

How about those that list a price that's higher or close to new local or grey set, and state "fixed" or "firm", with a huge disclaimer "low ballers stay far far away"? :p

sit and wait it out lor.

Rashkae said:

VERY true. Buyer will haggle for a price. Seller will oblige if target price is met. No matter what, the buyer will still feel he got one up. Seller happy; buyer happy. It's a mind game.

nitewalk said:
I always have buyers trying to take quite a fair bit off the offered price and say "if ur willing to deal at that price we can have a fast deal". Like hello, I don't need a fast deal, I need a right price.

Just this week I put on sale a mint Hitech pro stop 10. I had someone using that line and trying to pry it from me for $100 bucks and even tell me all the homework he did and he know TK foto sell for 165 blah blah blah. Nd110 goes for 100 when the brand new goes for 140 plus minus.

I've not sold any really expensive gears so I've not really had a mega attempt to rip me off. I've heard of horror offers from sellers who got offered ridiculous prices.

But at the end of the day, the seller always have the right not to sell.

I once sold my Nikkor 75-300 on here and some goober asked me to sell to him for $25. Yea, like that's gonna happen. I was so furious I wanted to give him a piece of my mind, but in the end I just said, "In your dreams.". You know what he did? He gave me a good scolding. He told me I was stupid for not doing my homework and no one's ever gonna buy my lens because it's trash anyway. :D

Last edited:
digitalpimp said:
I once sold my Nikkor 75-300 on here and some goober asked me to sell to him for $25. Yea, like that's gonna happen. I was so furious I wanted to give him a piece of my mind, but in the end I just said, "In your dreams.". You know what he did? He gave me a good scolding. He told me I was stupid for not doing my homework and no one's ever gonna buy my lens because it's trash anyway. :D

LOL low balling level: over 9000

digitalpimp said:
VERY true. Buyer will haggle for a price. Seller will oblige if target price is met. No matter what, the buyer will still feel he got one up. Seller happy; buyer happy. It's a mind game.

But I personally will not even bother to contact seller cos his/her expectations are unrealistic. Rather wait til seller lower his/her asking price after receiving next to zero responses on the ad.

digitalpimp said:

This is absurd. Tell him $25 can, just for the front and rear lens caps, lens not included.

allenleonhart said:
sit and wait it out lor.

Yes.... if I need it urgently I just buy from shops.