The Power of Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

I know this may sound a bit like Smurfman type of post. But I was reading an article on the power of photography this morning.

And I wonder if any of you think your photos have the curative power to make sick people feel better? Make old women feel younger? Make poor people feel happier? Make lonely people feel wanted?

If you have such type of photos wouldn't you charge people to look at them? :bsmilie:

If my photography had that kind of power, it'd certainly make me feel very happy.:bsmilie:

Nah.... It only made me an angrier, a more bitter man and more pragmatic person having learnt a very, very hard lesson recently.

I understand what it truly meant by "The Rich Gets Richer, The Poor Gets Poorer". :)

With the aid of Ms Palmer and her 5 daughters. :embrass:

kex said:
something like playboy magazine?

heal the lonely souls..

Oei, where is my last issue of playboy magazine???? Please dun return with all the pages stick together hor...... :D

nx time jus lend others a low res photocopy.;)

Sion said:
I know this may sound a bit like Smurfman type of post. But I was reading an article on the power of photography this morning.

And I wonder if any of you think your photos have the curative power to make sick people feel better? Make old women feel younger? Make poor people feel happier? Make lonely people feel wanted?

If you have such type of photos wouldn't you charge people to look at them? :bsmilie:

:think: some of my photos make my friends get high and excited - pics of models :sweat:

sORe-EyEz said:
nx time jus lend others a low res photocopy.;)

Photocopy is Passe liao. Scan it to pdf or jpeg or even tiff or shoot the entire mag with your dSLR. It is yours forever liao. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

Bob, can lend me the copy. Me sure return it you intact, like Virgin, no perforation. :)

A little "more serious", if I may please.

Once I showed two images to a rather depressed lady. These two images were of two different persons in buses with windows opened. In hot summer days in China. One image showed a grumpy girl, head bent forward on the hand/head rail of the seat in front. The other image was that of a smiling middle-aged man with a chinese man.

I showed this lady the different responses to a similar situation - hot blistering summer in a bus. I showed her the different responses. She was taken aback by the very different images, and realised that she could chose to be the young girl or the middle-aged man. When they left, she and her husband thanked me profusedly for showing them the images.

Like war photography eh? :(

It can either trigger a political backlash (read: Vietnam War My Lai) or inspire

Well.. from the viewpoint of photojournalism, i guess its a double edge sword. Aspiring journalism photographers would want to use photography to bring society's attentation to many of the things that are happening around us. In fact, most of the time, the truth hurts or is shocking and is hard to swallow.

Then again, for those who have made it there, for eg, James Natchwey, he once mentioned how disturbing it can be, when he feels he's made his name on the sufferings of those he has captured. But then again, the message he sents across in his website, in my opinion is a very powerful tool.

Well, my point is, photography can be powerful but like what superman's uncle told him in the movie, "..with great power comes great responsibility.." depends on how its used, whether to help the subject or assist the photographer.. ;)

Stunning landscapes at large size tend to instill some sort of wonderment to many viewers.

No wonder Ken Duncan sells so many of his posters.

Unlike Playboy at least this one you can show it to your grandmother.

Bobman said:
Oei, where is my last issue of playboy magazine???? Please dun return with all the pages stick together hor...... :D

Magazines already outdated, internet replaced magazines already.Playboy Cds now leh:devil:

jamesong said:
Magazines already outdated, internet replaced magazines already.Playboy Cds now leh:devil:
CDs? Even worse... semenal fluid is known to be acidic in nature.... :eek:

Well, I still think photography is a powerful tool after reading up on all the war photographers, and how most of them killed themselves a few years after the war was over. It must have been very traumatising for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.