The power of Full Magnesium Alloy body.

BigBaby

Feb 16, 2011
Earth
Canon 7D Goes Up in Flames, Memory Card Escapes Unscathed

Photographer Petra Hall‘s fiancé recently bought a used MG convertible right before going on a vacation. However, on the way back from work the weekend before the vacation was to begin, something in the car exploded and the car went up in flames.

The list of gadgets in the car is enough to make a grown man weep: a Canon 7D, a Canon 24-105L lens, and a MacBook Air. Everything burned up.

Surprisingly, both the hard drive in the Macbook Air and the CompactFlash card inside the 7D survived the flames, and the data on both were recovered. The memory card door on the 7D? Not so lucky:

Here’s a photograph of the car that exploded and took beautiful gear with it:

Any guesses as to what would have happened if the camera was built with plastic rather than magnesium alloy?

Image credits: Photographs by Petra Hall

rhino123

Staff member
Sep 1, 2006
NA
Ouch... I feel for whoever the camera belongs to... and morale of the story,

1) Before buying a car, check to see what the car is design for... a bomb or a travelling equipment.
2) Always get Mcbook instead of normal notebook and full magnesium body camera like the 7D and 5D... plus make sure that the flash card compartment... and its cover MUST be magnesium.

:)

Jun 15, 2010
Singapore
miltontan.com
2) Always get Mcbook instead of normal notebook and full magnesium body camera like the 7D and 5D... plus make sure that the flash card compartment... and its cover MUST be magnesium.

Hmm. I don't think the CF card cover is made of magnesium on the 7D. Doesn't feel like magnesium to me anyway.

Jun 24, 2009
Another reason to buy Pentax K-5 instead of Canikon.

Silas

Apr 12, 2010
this thread might cause a surge in WTS 60D posts in BnS section...LOL!!!

tehzeh

Aug 7, 2009
Thomas More's Vision
It's really hard to say. The fact that the memory card is still undamaged could be due to an explosion that wasn't that strong or just purely luck. No one could actually predict whether all Mg alloy bodies could survive all types of explosion and things like that.

Feb 7, 2010
Singapore
rhino123 said:

Sure?? Suggest you google magnesium properties to understand this metal better. You'd probably reconsider. Haha

TheoDR

Oct 19, 2006
Relax... its magnesium alloy, not the magnesium strips we set fire to during science labs. :D

Quite a few mountain bike suspension forks' lower legs also use magnesium alloy for the strength-to-weight ratio. :D

Last edited:

KY1977

Jan 3, 2008
All we want is to save the memory card right? Magnesium cover can oready. :)

wmayeo

Feb 11, 2008
Singapore
Likely battery door is made of plastics.

Magnesium alloy is used of the core structure to hold up the entire body, that's why it's tough!

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Your car burnt until like that - possibly with someone injured... you expensive camera is toast... and you worry about your photos?

Feb 7, 2010
Singapore
spree86 said:
But its an alloy so I guess it won't combust like it usually do
In general, do not try to douse fire with water. Might cause explosion. Read up MSDS spec sheet for magnesium alloys, it's a qualified source of information.

Kanski

Nov 4, 2007
I dunno what you are all thinking... tell you what I've learnt

...I need magnesium alloy underpants... protect the things that matter most, I say! ;)

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
That MG sure is something, only the rear part looks to have been on fire while passenger and front looks quite fine. Doesnt look as if the fire was stopped by fire fighters.

since the Macbook hdd was also recoverable and the whole thing is alu body, perhaps the fire was not really serious one?

anyone can CSI the cause of the fire?

Irvine

Jan 1, 2010
North? South? East? West?
That MG sure is something, only the rear part looks to have been on fire while passenger and front looks quite fine. Doesnt look as if the fire was stopped by fire fighters.

since the Macbook hdd was also recoverable and the whole thing is alu body, perhaps the fire was not really serious one?

anyone can CSI the cause of the fire?
from the picture of their car, the weather seems clear. i got this feeling that one of the batteries (probably the ones in mac since the 7D looks charred only) exploded due to heat. that's purely a guess though :dunno:

Last edited:
Top Bottom