The Pixel Shift Diaries

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
The K1 is one of the best cameras out there and quite a few here have it, but I just feel that the pixel shift feature is not even showcased enough.

So I'll start a series here for everyone to share their pixel shifted shots, evaluations and findings.

I hope its not just going to be a one way dialog where one comes in, takes what he/she wants and quietly leaves w/o saying/contributing anything to form the pool of info that hopefully will benefit everyone.

So here are the ground rules :
1. Pixel shift images only; so K3II, etc counts as well (can be a composite; exposure blended; etc)
2. Leave a full sized link in your Flickr or other image sharing site.
3. Do leave some info/thoughts on the shooting/processing/etc
4. No 'master/sifu' "and I take a back seat"; Pls discuss/share.

First image and attempt using RawTherapee64 4.2.1267 that supports beta version of pixel shift.

Initial thoughts... very impressed with its loads of processing options.

Its the very first Raw processor that can actually adjust for the strength of the motion detection.

K1+Samyang 14/2.8
IMGP6740-PS by jenkwang, on Flickr

Largest file here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/32269850332/sizes/o/

Last edited:
Jk ,

Its good to see that you have started a thread on this unique feature in K-1 . As it is seldom mentioned or the pictures being showcased, many people are unaware of this. Its a good start.

One question on leaving a full sie ink on Flickr. Do we just upload the full size picture on Flickr , as per normal or there are some special steps given the file size ?

Jk ,

Its good to see that you have started a thread on this unique feature in K-1 . As it is seldom mentioned or the pictures being showcased, many people are unaware of this. Its a good start.

One question on leaving a full sie ink on Flickr. Do we just upload the full size picture on Flickr , as per normal or there are some special steps given the file size ?

Seldom mentioned or not is really depending on everyone :D

For now, I just upload the full sized file to Flickr, however, I don't know if Flickr 'corrupts' the original file or not with compression.

The flickr files seem to be of good enough quality. Unlimited storage space I believe.

Might proof read title of thread sir.

Last edited:
The flickr files seem to be of good enough quality. Unlimited storage space I believe.

Might proof read title of thread sir.

Thanks ;)

IMGP6751-1-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

Another try today cycling down to the CBD.

This time, processed with a newer build of RawTherapee64 4.2.1344 that supports beta version of pixel shift.
Even more refinements made to the pixel shift options.

The composition shift option on the K1 just makes it a grade above whats out there.
Lets the camera be level to avoid keystone distortion while the sensor shifts up to allow the composition to be retained w/o clipping off the tallest buildings.

I found that LR lens profiles can be used by the program, so used a Samyang 14/2.8 profile generously shared by someone on another forum.

link to the full size :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/32332517811/sizes/o/

Last edited:
Have any bros printed any of these type of images?

Have any bros printed any of these type of images?

Not yet in my case ( I can print up to A3+).
I've yet to sit down properly and decide on what makes it to big prints due to the costs.
I'm far more causal with A3 printing, but I've run out of paper and yet to get fresh ones. :D

Perhaps someone else has done so.

IMGP6748-PS-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Another try from the same day and another vantage point.

Processed with RawTherapee64 4.2.1344 that supports beta version of pixel shift

Samyang 14/2.8 user created lens profile

This time, I wanted to see where it all goes with output sharpening added in to bring up everything.
Added a touch of sharpening in NikEfex Sharpener to see how it all adds up in terms of boosting details from a Pixel Shift file.
Just a rather 'blunt sword' application of the sharpening on what I think are low settings, so no zone/brush specific sharpening and masking.

Go see the full size and let me know what you think:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/32091075070/sizes/o/

I visited Penang in June last year and finally had the opportunity to put the pixel shift technology to the test.

I am indeed impressed with the high level of details it renders. This function most likely benefit those landscape and architecture photographers.

I am not any good with the software mentioned by JK. So i just stick with the software provided by Pentax. Basically I use the software just to convert the DNG file into a Jpeg file. Whie it may be slow going , it still gets the job done , and I am happy with it for the time being. The main thing is we go out to take pictures and make use of this unique feature whenever the opportunity presents itself. Thereafter I use Lightroom Elements to process the photographs.

Below is a sample of result .

Kek Lok Si temple, Georgetown, Penang

IMGP1682 A pixel shift 2400 by maverick_h, on Flickr

And here is the link to the full size file.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44374106@N03/31659327683/sizes/o/

Last edited:
I visited Penang in June last year and finally had the opportunity to put the pixel shift technology to the test.

I am indeed impressed with the high level of details it renders. This function most likely benefit those landscape and architecture photographers.

Below is a sample of result .

Kek Lok Si temple, Georgetown, Penang

Do share more info like what you used to process the files. Thanks

Thanks Jk for starting this thread. This is one function which i do not have much idea on how to use it.

The software with the Pentax bundle is not as slow and no fun to use :p
Therefore, i did not really use the Pixel Shift Function.

Will try again in future, hopefully, i got better shots to showcase.

Thanks Jk for starting this thread. This is one function which i do not have much idea on how to use it.

The software with the Pentax bundle is not as slow and no fun to use :p
Therefore, i did not really use the Pixel Shift Function.

Will try again in future, hopefully, i got better shots to showcase.

Just set in on your camera and try it out. :)

I think its easier if you've got a few pixel shift shots to start with (don't do too many at once).
Exactly because of the slowness of PDCU, it encourages a culling process to not try to process every shot (just choose the best ones in a series/venue).
This will make working with PDCU much easier.

Alternatively, AFAIK, there is also SilkyPix Developer Pro 7 (can download the trial one first)
or Raw Therapee (RT).
RT is faster than PDCU for sure and far more powerful, but there will be a learning curve.

The whole objective of this thread is for more people to start looking at the possibilities/options/techniques so that it can benefit everyone.

No harm that it can showcase what the K1 can do too. ;)

Interesting too (RAW Therapee). I may download and try.

Just set in on your camera and try it out. :)

I think its easier if you've got a few pixel shift shots to start with (don't do too many at once).
Exactly because of the slowness of PDCU, it encourages a culling process to not try to process every shot (just choose the best ones in a series/venue).
This will make working with PDCU much easier.

Alternatively, AFAIK, there is also SilkyPix Developer Pro 7 (can download the trial one first)
or Raw Therapee (RT).
RT is faster than PDCU for sure and far more powerful, but there will be a learning curve.

The whole objective of this thread is for more people to start looking at the possibilities/options/techniques so that it can benefit everyone.

No harm that it can showcase what the K1 can do too. ;)

I try to find if i have those old shots with pixel shift. not sure did i kept the Raw shots.

one of what i have took with pixel shift. I need to find the other pic without pixel shift to compare the differences.

Here is another picture of Kek Lok Si temple from a ultra wide angle perspective. This picture is cropped at the bottom, as there was too much grass in the foreground.

Here is the full size file .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44374106@N03/32349135941/sizes/o/

Good try, you might want to explore RawTherapee if you are willing to learn a new software.
There are lots of sharpening controls on RT as compared to the PDCU.

IMGP6744-1-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Taken with the K28/3.5 which is one of the sharpest legacy 28mm (for f8-f11 work) out there for a cheap price.

Unfortunately, RT does not recover highlights too well (or at least I don't know how to), so layered the same image done in LR which has amazing highlight recovery in comparison.
So RAW processor does make a difference here and if I did not explore, I would not know. (hopefully more will be encouraged to do so)

This time, I've added even less sharpening in NikEfex Sharpener to see how it all adds up in terms of boosting details from a Pixel Shift file.

Full size image :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/32510889305/sizes/o/

Last edited:

IMGP6759-BW-1-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

10 stop ND used and I get the feeling than such a strong filter may negate the sharpness than can be achieved by pixel shift (as it does a 1 frame exposure).

I will have to do more with the ND filter to determine if this is true.
If it is, then when faced with a situation when a 10 stop is used, I may just skip using pixel shift in such situations, since there might not be a point.