The Pinholes in action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, about a week ago I posted a thread here. The image doesn't work for most of the people here. So I took time and practiced. Recently, I went to this Esplanade present performance. The band is called The Pinholes. Took some pictures there, and so far I guess this is my best take for that day.

pinhole1-1.jpg

This image is taken with my D70, with ISO 1600, 50mm lens and F/1.8 on Aperture Priority mode. The reason for this setting is that I hope to capture the mood of the lead singer backed by his band, by freezing the motion.

Anyway, I'd like to get some comments and critiques from fellow photographers out there with regards to the technical aspects and does the photograph work?

Thanks

technical skills wise the only thing that is pretty obvious is that the main singer is not focus. Framing him is just alright, because he's not focus it's abit of a eye sore to see.
Might want to edit the colours abit since the colours is not that awesome aye.
Like the msg behind the photo though.
Overall i think the photo can work with a better focus point and colours!
My thoughts huh ;)

i think cos he is using f1.8...the depth of view to shallow?...i quite like the composition though....capture the emotions at the moment

i think cos he is using f1.8...the depth of view to shallow?...i quite like the composition though....capture the emotions at the moment

haha i dont think it's the shallow depth of field. Because if you see it right there's not a single(from what i see) sharp focus point! ;) But yeah, agree with your capture emotions part.

TS shot on 1/60. so most probably, the blur might be due to handshake. and it looks like handshake blur to me too, not OOF.

dont listen to what they say about the colours. the colours are gooood! haha.
the fuzziness of the image (ie. unsharp focus) suits the feel. gives it a retro vibe.

i like this.

I think the color is fine, softness is not an issue to the such photos.
only comments is the right side has lot of space,
and the right person is getting more attention, you may want to tone him down or just simple crop him off.

the fuzziness of the image (ie. unsharp focus) suits the feel. gives it a retro vibe.

i like this.

after seeing you say that, it does remind me abit of film! Does it?

yeah, it does. its this warm fuzziness that dslrs tend to eliminate and we try to add back using gaussian blurs and the such. :)

haha i dont think it's the shallow depth of field. Because if you see it right there's not a single(from what i see) sharp focus point! ;) But yeah, agree with your capture emotions part.

TS shot on 1/60. so most probably, the blur might be due to handshake. and it looks like handshake blur to me too, not OOF.

I used a shallow DOF (no choice wanna increase the shutter speed abit) and tried focus on the lead singer. I guess the lack of sharpness is due to handshake plus the movement of the lead singer. :sweat:

Thanks for pointing that out, point noted.

I think the color is fine, softness is not an issue to the such photos.
only comments is the right side has lot of space,
and the right person is getting more attention, you may want to tone him down or just simple crop him off.

Thanks for the input
Here's the cropped version of the picture

pinhole1cropped.jpg

Is this better? Anyway, how would you do to tone down the guy on the right in the original image?

Thanks again

i like this.

after seeing you say that, it does remind me abit of film! Does it?

yeah, it does. its this warm fuzziness that dslrs tend to eliminate and we try to add back using gaussian blurs and the such. :)

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. :)

The second one is a bit too tight.

With that being said, I really like the first picture. Composition can be improved a little, for sure. But I think you captured the moment really well, and the washed out colors are great. A little out of focus here is not a problem at all. In fact, I think the softness works well for the overall feel of the picture.

upz for the first one too. 2nd one like less atmosphere....feels more like someone yelling. first one is gd feel....

The second one is a bit too tight.

With that being said, I really like the first picture. Composition can be improved a little, for sure. But I think you captured the moment really well, and the washed out colors are great. A little out of focus here is not a problem at all. In fact, I think the softness works well for the overall feel of the picture.

upz for the first one too. 2nd one like less atmosphere....feels more like someone yelling. first one is gd feel....

Thanks for your comments....
I do agree on the composition can be improve.

Glad that you like the pix..:)

I think photos intent is to transpire a feel for that moment ... it works for me ... =)

Like the PS effect it enhances the picture ... I think many years later this would still be a great photo ... =)

the pp is good. nice treatment.

the bokeh is good too.

aesthetically speaking, i think this is a good shot. good overall feel.

technically speaking, not so, because of the lead singer not being in focus (maybe due to the 1.8 as someone here has pointed out)

contextually speaking, i'm not so sure if the photo really reflects what you're trying to say leh. haha. but that's what i feel lah.

erm. his pose is saying to me "HUH? WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

jokes aside, i would have prefered this in a portrait orientation, not a landscpae. i want to see his legs. the legs may have changed the perspective a little drawing more focus on the lead singer due to a tighte crop.

Took some pictures there, and so far I guess this is my best take for that day.
Bring more memory card next time and try again.

1/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.