The Pentax K1 Thread! - Post all your K1 picts and impressions

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Its really been a decade long wait for me.

10yrs is not a short time.
From the time I shot picts of my newborn daughter with my K100D, till now when she's already a little girl in primary school.
Thats been so long it has taken Pentax to release the K1.

Like an old friend returning by jenkwang, on Flickr

But as much as it is new, I also feel a familiarity with it the instant I hold it.
The legacy of all the Pentax cameras before it that I've used all at once on my hands.

My old batteries from my K5 which have been dormant for 4yrs still work;
Or course so do my 30-40yr old Pentax lenses.
This as well as the newer and great Limiteds.
Which other company would think to such small things.

For all those who have bought this camera.
This thread is for you.
The loyal and hopeful despite all the doom and gloom.

Pls share everything about your K1 here. :)

Reactions: Nikonzen
Got the K1 yesterday. It is really the END GAME camera for me, and probably for most guys here. There are plenty of reviews about this fantastic camera already, I don't think we'd need any more introduction or testing photos for this gem.

Here are some photos to show off what I have to pair with K1:

K1_FA_334177_zpson4g0c8k.jpg

K1_FA_33417785_zpsio89yoqd.jpg

K1_FA33_1_zpstcsxj40c.jpg

K1_FA_43_zpsiz3x4ujl.jpg

K1_FA77_1_zps1gndoeo4.jpg

A few more. Haven't done this kind of stuff for very long, and today is the first time I even used my desktop PC in the past 4 months:

K1_FA85_1_zpssp5jhkk0.jpg

K1_FA85_2_zpsupu5vni6.jpg

K1_FA2035_zpsse7xg4g9.jpg

Its really been a decade long wait for me.

10yrs is not a short time.
From the time I shot picts of my newborn daughter with my K100D, till now when she's already a little girl in primary school.
Thats been so long it has taken Pentax to release the K1.

Like an old friend returning by jenkwang, on Flickr

But as much as it is new, I also feel a familiarity with it the instant I hold it.
The legacy of all the Pentax cameras before it that I've used all at once on my hands.

My old batteries from my K5 which have been dormant for 4yrs still work;
Or course so do my 30-40yr old Pentax lenses.
This as well as the newer and great Limiteds.
Which other company would think to such small things.

For all those who have bought this camera.
This thread is for you.
The loyal and hopeful despite all the doom and gloom.

Pls share everything about your K1 here. :)
Congrats, JK and FW!

Your long waiting is all over! Enjoy your new toy, guys! :)

Big upgrade for me, from K30 - K1. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

26742191525_6e461378b2_c.jpg

Wow...it been so long that i get to see FW shots of his camera and lenses.

Cheong, what two lenses are those? F series lens?

20160501-IMGP0057-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

I was supposed to go further to the city to get some cityscapes in the morning, but lack of sleep made me think otherwise, so I opted for the nearest place.

M20/4, I really want this lens to work as its so small and portable.
Impressions is that Pentax really knows how to get this 'right'.
Even though this is 36mp, the M20 does go thru this relatively ok (all things considered).
Far edges and corners are not that great, but like I said, I am rather forgiving on this given the size and joy of using this lens.
In fact, very surprised that at 36mp vs the 24mp of my A7k, the overall IQ is not degraded with the higher pixel density.

No sensor reflection issues too, which my A7K was a pain to work with in this area with the same lens.

https://flic.kr/p/GKdJXr
20160501-IMGP0057-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

I was supposed to go further to the city to get some cityscapes in the morning, but lack of sleep made me think otherwise, so I opted for the nearest place.

M20/4, I really want this lens to work as its so small and portable.
Impressions is that Pentax really knows how to get this 'right'.
Even though this is 36mp, the M20 does go thru this relatively ok (all things considered).
Far edges and corners are not that great, but like I said, I am rather forgiving on this given the size and joy of using this lens.
In fact, very surprised that at 36mp vs the 24mp of my A7k, the overall IQ is not degraded with the higher pixel density.

No sensor reflection issues too, which my A7K was a pain to work with in this area with the same lens.

Great jk....m20 f4 seems wide enough and on 36mp it still manageable. Yes on a7 sensor reflection is a pain in my axx....lolxx

Short impression of the camera - Pentax K1 Full frame.

Finally, the really full frame has arrived. No longer i would remember it as an April Fool joke which was created in 2/3 years ago..
Did not have much time to really play with the camera, so some short impression of it.

It is slightly heavier, however, the feel of the camera is as great. It like K3 plus 645 into this.
The OVF is simply a huge improvement. AF is fast and snappy on the few lenses i tested, FA31, FA77 and Sigma 17-35.
For manual lens, the larger viewfinder and the screen seem good for Manual focus, but need more testing to confirm my thoughts.

Its' great that we can still use our K7/K5/K3/K-01 battery!

The menu is quite similar to the past Pentax camera. Easy for me to get through it. The button placements are also great. If you have used the K3, you will find the selecting of AF points easily. The function dial and setting dial really works well. Shortcut like wifi, Grid, SR, Crop and HDR are quite useful for me here.

I have also tested out the Wifi function. Paired with my phone and i can transfer photos over. Only small issue is that it won't automatically downsize the photo, so if you take in DNG/RAW , you need to use the camera to convert first. For the transfer, it will be slow as it is sending a 12-14mb of JPEG file, and if did not convert, its a 40-45mb DNG file. FAint!
Another fun thing, is the live view from phone to take the picture. OMG, it is so much smoother and better over the Sony one.

For flash, 3rd party flash may have some issue. I'm using the Metz 58- AF2. Beginning, could not seem to get the P-ttl function. But later it seem to appear. Try their A mode on the flash, but it seem to give me overexposure lighting. Using PTTL works well. Need to try more if have chance.

Ok look like my short impression isn't very short.. That's about it...

3 test out photos first.
FA31 @ F2.5

Sigma 17-35 @17mm F6.3

FA77 @ F2.5

Finally, the really full frame has arrived. No longer i would remember it as an April Fool joke which was created in 2/3 years ago..
Did not have much time to really play with the camera, so some short impression of it.

It is slightly heavier, however, the feel of the camera is as great. It like K3 plus 645 into this.
The OVF is simply a huge improvement. AF is fast and snappy on the few lenses i tested, FA31, FA77 and Sigma 17-35.
For manual lens, the larger viewfinder and the screen seem good for Manual focus, but need more testing to confirm my thoughts.

The menu is quite similar to the past Pentax camera. Easy for me to get through it. The button placements are also great. If you have used the K3, you will find the selecting of AF points easily. The function dial and setting dial really works well. Shortcut like wifi, Grid, SR, Crop and HDR are quite useful for me here.

I have also tested out the Wifi function. Paired with my phone and i can transfer photos over. Only small issue is that it won't automatically downsize the photo, so if you take in DNG/RAW , you need to use the camera to convert first. For the transfer, it will be slow as it is sending a 12-14mb of JPEG file, and if did not convert, its a 40-45mb DNG file. FAint!
Another fun thing, is the live view from phone to take the picture. OMG, it is so much smoother and better over the Sony one.

For flash, 3rd party flash may have some issue. I'm using the Metz 58- AF2. Beginning, could not seem to get the P-ttl function. But later it seem to appear. Try their A mode on the flash, but it seem to give me overexposure lighting. Using PTTL works well. Need to try more if have chance.

Ranchy :thumbsup:

Those two lens are F28/2.8 and F50/1.4 :)

Wow ... yes .. it's been quite some time since FengWei has been so enthusiastic about Pentax camera and lens. ... looks like he will go on an acquisition spree very soon to get all those quality lens . :)

... You guys are so fast ... already started testing the camera on your lens .... for those still sitting on the fence and waiting, I the results from the pictures being posted here speaks volumes ...

mai tu liao.... better put thoughts into action, visit a camera store to check out the camera itself, and dun forget to bring along your credit card... ;)

3 test out photos first.
FA31 @ F2.5

Sigma 17-35 @17mm F6.3

FA77 @ F2.5

Wow, the color reproduction is rather accurate.

3 test out photos first.
FA31 @ F2.5
https://flic.kr/p/GGWRNL

Sigma 17-35 @17mm F6.3
https://flic.kr/p/GGWS8J

FA77 @ F2.5
https://flic.kr/p/GAXrh1

Wow....thx ranchy. I been wondering how my tamron 17-35 works on k1...seems wide for me ;) thx

Last edited: