The peak of Kota Tinggi

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
Woke up early in the morning and drove around the vicinity to find a good view of the peak. We pass by this barren and deforested barren patch and I decided to stop. The view was good just that this place is really barren. Haha. Since it was barren, so I thought why not use the barren ground as the foreground.

All critiques and comments are most welcome. :)

3088311333_8e25d81e48_o.jpg

I would say go lower, maybe even as low as having the camera on the ground or you lying down. It would probably create a more dramatic feel to the pic.

[Landscape it] would be nice.
Focusing on the messy grounds and cracks are a [no.no.] for me.

i would have shot it in landscape if i were you. but you have potrayed the photo well enough.

Lighting let you down, it's so dull in the foreground. I can't believe it's early morning.

Composition and portrait is fine. Good contrast between Nature.

I like this pic..maybe the lighting can be improved by post prosessing
333inp5.jpg

the PPed picture definitely looks much better.
i like this shot too. but maybe in landscape would have been better... :think: or maybe a pano :bsmilie:

thanks all for viewing. really appreciate the comments and critiques. Picture was taken ard 7am and the sun was still rising from behind the ridges thus the darker foreground. Indeed, the foreground is a tad too dark. thanks jeffL for the re-edit version. :) noted that many preferred a landscape shot too. Ideally I would prefer that too... but on the left and right are start of plantation and I found it rather distracting to include then in the pic thus i opt for a portrait style. thanks again for the comments and critiques. hope to hear more... ;)

i would have shot it in landscape if i were you. but you have potrayed the photo well enough.

Lighting let you down, it's so dull in the foreground. I can't believe it's early morning.

Composition and portrait is fine. Good contrast between Nature.

I like this pic..maybe the lighting can be improved by post prosessing
333inp5.jpg

the PPed picture definitely looks much better.
i like this shot too. but maybe in landscape would have been better... :think: or maybe a pano :bsmilie:

Guess you got me wrong, I'm not asking TS to focus on the ground. Have the focus point still on the peak of Kota Tinggi. Instead have more of the spanning ground to lead to the Peak of Kota Tinggi.

in fact, i found that the cracks are at too bottom, would prefer a bit more space below.

Woke up early in the morning and drove around the vicinity to find a good view of the peak. We pass by this barren and deforested barren patch and I decided to stop. The view was good just that this place is really barren. Haha. Since it was barren, so I thought why not use the barren ground as the foreground.

if you wish to use the ground as the foreground, you need to get up close, and i am not sure if the scene allows for it. right now the cracks are not a strong enough anchor to hold interest, and there are too many other things and details fighting for attention here.

i would probably try to do isolation shots here, unless i can find something better suited and matching for the background-foreground pairing.the background here is also a tad weird, i don't know why, but the mountain gives me a weird feeling. :dunno:

Original shot gives a very cool morning feelin' and the foreground shows that this place/piece of land had been deserted for some time. For portraying very near/close and very far/infinity subject, a vertical composition is more suitable as according to traditional yardstick.

Weird feeling yeah. Surreal, more of the confusion. I cant believe the picture till I see the place for myself.
2 subjects too contrasting, 2 subject shown at the same time, cool blue peak background vs rough jagged foreground. Dont seem to compliment each other.

Not that surreal as those of Dali's.

#15 refers,

Well, isn't it the Master's works that inspire us ? If he can do it during in his era where no digital support is available, by theory, we should now all be better than him ?

If our friend can add in a dead chicken carcass it would have strengthen the picture content..." no living things around ", a drought had happened.

i know y u might find the mountain weird... must be the shape. it does have a queer shape. looking at the surrounding of the pic, which do you think might be a good anchor?
if you wish to use the ground as the foreground, you need to get up close, and i am not sure if the scene allows for it. right now the cracks are not a strong enough anchor to hold interest, and there are too many other things and details fighting for attention here.

i would probably try to do isolation shots here, unless i can find something better suited and matching for the background-foreground pairing.the background here is also a tad weird, i don't know why, but the mountain gives me a weird feeling. :dunno:

indeed, u got the feeling correct. :)
Original shot gives a very cool morning feelin' and the foreground shows that this place/piece of land had been deserted for some time. For portraying very near/close and very far/infinity subject, a vertical composition is more suitable as according to traditional yardstick.

I am not sure which part is surreal.. :dunno: could you elaborate on "I cant believe the picture till I see the place for myself." is it referring to the title and the pic?
Weird feeling yeah. Surreal, more of the confusion. I cant believe the picture till I see the place for myself.
2 subjects too contrasting, 2 subject shown at the same time, cool blue peak background vs rough jagged foreground. Dont seem to compliment each other.

So as you were there taking the shot and I am just reflecting the feel by looking at your pic. and when both feeling correlate, that means your camera is giving a very true record of what it was. Therefore, no any other form of post-correction is needed.
Perhaps only thing you can do at that moment is to walk around and try to capture few more pictures at different angle, but it's all subjective to the site situation.

i know y u might find the mountain weird... must be the shape. it does have a queer shape. looking at the surrounding of the pic, which do you think might be a good anchor?

something that stands out from the ground. i do like the cracks, but probably not in this direction.

sometimes you have to walk around to really find a solid anchor. even a branch that manages to catch the light can be used. :)

as of now in this picture, what i can see is the crack. hrm.

indeed, there's a stream nearby but the pic din turn out nice... of all the things that are around there I found the "crack" to be the most interesting. i guess that patch did not get enough lighting to make it a better foreground. hope to be able to re-visit again. :)

So as you were there taking the shot and I am just reflecting the feel by looking at your pic. and when both feeling correlate, that means your camera is giving a very true record of what it was. Therefore, no any other form of post-correction is needed.
Perhaps only thing you can do at that moment is to walk around and try to capture few more pictures at different angle, but it's all subjective to the site situation.

something that stands out from the ground. i do like the cracks, but probably not in this direction.

sometimes you have to walk around to really find a solid anchor. even a branch that manages to catch the light can be used. :)

as of now in this picture, what i can see is the crack. hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.