The path to becoming a professional photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
LimCB said:
We can tell.

i am VERY sorry....what is the meaning of this? i don't see how this post is relevant to the discussion. i have subscribed to this thread, and it's irritating to follow the 'new post' updates and read something like what you have posted.

i'm sure i'm not the only one around who feels the same, and this is not an isolated incident within the forums. wish everybody can co-operate and keep thrash posts to a minimum.

Yildun said:
Considering to turn interest into profession. Need help and advice.

How can a beginner work his/her way up to become a professional photographer? Where to start or look for opportunities? How to build portfolios?

hi Yildun

i once asked my lecturer before (sunny goh, former writer/editor at Straits Times) what does it take to be a photojournalist.
he said build up a very good portfolio. by that, he meant that every photo you take, be it at events or street shots etc etc, it should stand out enough to tell a story of its own. readers should see the photo and go 'wah', instead of just glancing at it and flip the page without giving much thought.
he mentioned in your portfolio, add a good caption to each of your photographs because if i remember correctly, he did say photojournalists are sort of expected to come up with the caption..

as for where to start, go up to various magazines/newspapers.. be thick-skinned.. ask for any job openings or something. Expect rejections. i dont know if you're working now.. but if you're not, maybe you'd like to apply as an assistant or something.. work your way up? go knock on doors, dont wait for opportunities to drop.
i dont know if there's such a thing as internship for photographers? (pls correct me, if anyone knows whether there's such jobs).. though some internship wont pay you money, just go for it cuz it will look good on your CV and your chances of getting hired will be much higher.

hmm yah. just my 2cents worth la. :) hope i helped in some way or another.

simplicity_ said:
hi Yildun

i once asked my lecturer before (sunny goh, former writer/editor at Straits Times) what does it take to be a photojournalist.
he said build up a very good portfolio. by that, he meant that every photo you take, be it at events or street shots etc etc, it should stand out enough to tell a story of its own. readers should see the photo and go 'wah', instead of just glancing at it and flip the page without giving much thought.
he mentioned in your portfolio, add a good caption to each of your photographs because if i remember correctly, he did say photojournalists are sort of expected to come up with the caption..

as for where to start, go up to various magazines/newspapers.. be thick-skinned.. ask for any job openings or something. Expect rejections. i dont know if you're working now.. but if you're not, maybe you'd like to apply as an assistant or something.. work your way up? go knock on doors, dont wait for opportunities to drop.
i dont know if there's such a thing as internship for photographers? (pls correct me, if anyone knows whether there's such jobs).. though some internship wont pay you money, just go for it cuz it will look good on your CV and your chances of getting hired will be much higher.

hmm yah. just my 2cents worth la. :) hope i helped in some way or another.

Sunny Goh is my wife's uncle..... Well respected man with good knowlegde...heh

kerpalz said:
Sunny Goh is my wife's uncle..... Well respected man with good knowlegde...heh

o_O!!

wahhh, so small world. haha. yah, i like him the most out of all my lecturers. haha, he's still teaching me btw. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.