The Orange Train

dominicrock

Jul 3, 2012
Singapore
1. in what area is critique to be sought?

a. Exposure
b. The area that can be further improve.
c. The biggest fault I should avoid in this picture.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Inside My Room

Camera setting
Panasonic G1 MFT , ISO 600, 14mm, f/1.7

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

8427261026_2e1b2da279_b.jpg

What is it you are trying to do? and what is your concept?

The first thing that caught my eye is the red smokestack, that little red stub stands out the most and it is out of focus.

I might be a bit inexperienced to be giving any opinions but, focus is totally out.
Macro photographers, use very small apertures (f8, f11) to get a lot of the subject in focus, as using an aperture of 1.7 (even on a MFT system), gives a very shallow depth of field when the subject is of very close distances. The shallow depth of field will work in other scenarios, like isolating eyes, etc. But, in this picture, I don't see why the yellow cabin should be in focus, when clearly as daredevil123 mentioned, the most eye-catching thing is the red smokestack.

Maybe if you are going to do something like this, use a smaller aperture, then bust out a tripod and get longer exposures, which is fine as this is a stationary subject. Or use a flash. You clearly wanted to have the background black, so you can just shoot it again using the same settings, with Aperture Priority, on a tripod to keep the exposure at the back totally dark (unless you edited the back out :) ).

I wont question your intentions/composition of the picture, as clearly, you left the question on what you want to achieve blank, and I would treat this as a technical practice. But, if it is a serious picture, you might want to try something like balancing the train, along the side of the orange? Make it seem as though, it is travelling up the orange, and also reveal the stem of the orange as well. As when I first saw the picture, it took me a while to realise, its actually a fruit. If you do that, the angle of the picture will change maybe to from bottom to up? Just for a little more drama :)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

a. Exposure
b. The area that can be further improve.
c. The biggest fault I should avoid in this picture.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Inside My Room

Camera setting
Panasonic G1 MFT , ISO 600, 14mm, f/1.7

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

The train isn't orange..the focus is further behind the train leaving the front part oof..u can increase ur aperture to about f16..or about f8 if u want the back of the train to be abit blurred....I just feel claustrophobic in this picture..

The train isn't orange..the focus is further behind the train leaving the front part oof..u can increase ur aperture to about f16..or about f8 if u want the back of the train to be abit blurred....I just feel claustrophobic in this picture..

I think the 'orange' refers to the orange (fruit) under the train heh...

TS didn't elaborate what was the purpose of this shot, and share his thought process for presenting it in this way... so I guess we can only say that that the shot is out of focus, and the intent of the photo with it's title is not clear...