The old St. Gabriel's Secondary School

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermsDayOut

Aug 19, 2003
www.instagram.com
Are there any gabrielites out there who used to spend some, if not all, of their teenage childhood in the old St. Gabriel's Secondary School along Highland Road?

I took the bus past the school today and was pretty surprised to see that they are tearing down the building!!! It looks like a sorry mess now. I thought it was taken over by some private school or something? (Chatsworth International School?)

Anyway, I'm thinking of organising a photoshoot this weekend in the school. All CS members are welcome. Does not mean you have to be from that school... but of course, if you were from there, then let's pay tribute to a building in which memories have been tucked away in a voiceless 53-year-old structure... I still remember we climbed through the fence at the end of the field and followed the drain all the way back up to Upper Serangoon Road for illegal suppers at 7-11 during NCC camps...

Anyone interested? It will be this Saturday 9am. Meet at Kovan MRT Station.

Thanks.

no leh.. school gates are wide open with a "No Parking" sign.. that's all... something like Neo Tew hawker centre now. dilapidated, deserted, but full of angles and nostalgia.. the tree in the centre is already 53 years old! my gosh! and we used to stand under it during assembly...

Wow. You must be my senior. When I was in secondary school, I am already using the building that forms the word "Tian".

me, too, I'm from the TIAN building, but when are you shooting ? I'm interested in seeing how the old school looks like.

I not that lao jiao lah... i was in highland road until sec 3 june, then we all helped to shift to the "tian" building at serangoon ave 1 =)

anyway, the best thing about being at highland road is that there were hordes of convent girls to look at before school starts and when school ends... everyday hoping to catch a glimpse of Annabelle Francis!!! (She's one year my senior)

Shoot will be this saturday. I can tell stories about the school for those who didn't study in there before =) I'll see if I can get old year books to spice up the mini-tour. It's really quite sad to see the state the school is in now =(

So those interested, list your name here. Shoot will be Saturday 30th August. Meet at 9am, Kovan MRT Station.

St. Gabriel's Memory Tour
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. JermsDayOut

NiVleK said:
Wow. You must be my senior. When I was in secondary school, I am already using the building that forms the word "Tian".

Thats interesting... I was in the old building till secondary 4, and spent my sec 5 days in the new tian... Some of my most precious memories.

I do recall the old premises... the long and dangerous flight of concrete stairs that leads down to the canteen from the quadrangle. The musky smelling library.... Recalled being flogged in Peter Tan's office, accused of being part of the 429 ss... (yes... 429) :bsmilie:

...After school hangouts in Serangoon shopping centre play Tamiya model cars at the basement... Befriending SJC gals (not that they wanted to be my friend)...

...Going to mass at the church beside SJC, having to walk through the SJC compound, peering through their windows, sneaking a peep at the gals...

From the old primary school also... Lagi more memorable. :lovegrin:

So you know people like Malcolm, Moses, Adrian Tan, Kevin Cheng? And of course... who can forget the 3 sisters??? Adam and gang... :)

Ay, come and join me this sat lah... you got old year books or not? I saw Peter Tan 2 months back... he seemed a little bit "off" leh... like macam senile liao...

JermsDayOut said:
So you know people like Malcolm, Moses, Adrian Tan, Kevin Cheng? And of course... who can forget the 3 sisters??? Adam and gang... :)

Ay, come and join me this sat lah... you got old year books or not? I saw Peter Tan 2 months back... he seemed a little bit "off" leh... like macam senile liao...

Hi there,
may I know where to meet and wat time and also for those who r working on sat,like me can meet later?

Joe :sweat:

JermsDayOut said:

Err... I do know Kelvyn Cheng quite well. He's my brother. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

JermsDayOut said:
oi siao eh... you terence cheng issit????????

Ha ha ha... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Yep... Jeremy i guess. But which Jeremy? ;)

PM me instead, lest clogging up your thread. :)

joe, we will move off at 9am at kovan MRT station. just got information that girls brigade is moving in fast so works are going on. so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will allow us to go into the compounds. no afternoon sessions cos i got to meet somebody at bugis at 1pm.

if you interested in taking shots of desolated places, but don't want to go alone (cos not safe) i'm thinking of organising Neo tew or Changi Hospital.. but these places will be super eerie man.. especially the old changi hospital. my camp used to be there... heard too many ghost stories liao...

ok so far just the 2 of us... can romantic romantic is a deserted building! :D

The List
------------------------------------------------
1. JermsDayOut
2. tert

looks like no more interested liao :(

JermsDayOut said:
joe, we will move off at 9am at kovan MRT station. just got information that girls brigade is moving in fast so works are going on. so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will allow us to go into the compounds. no afternoon sessions cos i got to meet somebody at bugis at 1pm.

if you interested in taking shots of desolated places, but don't want to go alone (cos not safe) i'm thinking of organising Neo tew or Changi Hospital.. but these places will be super eerie man.. especially the old changi hospital. my camp used to be there... heard too many ghost stories liao...

The List
1. JermsDayOut
2. tert

Hi Jamdayout,
So sorry,I got to work this coming Sat.So when is your next taking photo outing(date,time and where to meet)

Joe
:embrass:

JermsDayOut said:

The List
1. JermsDayOut
2. tert

I went to Neo Tiew to shoot before, nothing much to shoot. Probably the old market, the playground and the old kopitiam. If you are interested I can be a guide when you go there...

FYI, I went during the day and stay till night. Night time darn eerie...

Cheesecake said:
this thread died a premature death?

:cry: :cry:

ok lah pacify you. i'm gabrielite. :thumbsup:

anyway chyeo, you were alone at neo tew issit? i know how it can look at night plus the cemetry just nearby only. but if you were carrying a M16 in No.4, you couldn't care less man... hehhehheh.. civilian life really different hor? now must find for a proper toilet to let go :bsmilie:

I never studied there but spent a weekend retreat there with the Bros of St Gabriel.

I remember they had a pantry or canteen or something, where the food is lowered down by a rope or something. Can't remember much... it was centuries ago!

JermsDayOut said:
ok lah pacify you. i'm gabrielite. :thumbsup:

anyway chyeo, you were alone at neo tew issit? i know how it can look at night plus the cemetry just nearby only. but if you were carrying a M16 in No.4, you couldn't care less man... hehhehheh.. civilian life really different hor? now must find for a proper toilet to let go :bsmilie:

Yup me alone in Neo Tiew. Was carrying my "M16" in my "No. 4" and I let go somewhere too haha...

(M16 = EOS D30 + EF 70-200mm f2.8L)
(No.4 = Long sleeved tee + jeans)

:D

Hey I was there in 1991 to 1992 then we moved to the TIAN in 1993 with the official opening right? :)

Wah...DUN CHOP THAT TREE!!!

JermsDayOut said:
I not that lao jiao lah... i was in highland road until sec 3 june, then we all helped to shift to the "tian" building at serangoon ave 1 =)

anyway, the best thing about being at highland road is that there were hordes of convent girls to look at before school starts and when school ends... everyday hoping to catch a glimpse of Annabelle Francis!!! (She's one year my senior)

Shoot will be this saturday. I can tell stories about the school for those who didn't study in there before =) I'll see if I can get old year books to spice up the mini-tour. It's really quite sad to see the state the school is in now =(

So those interested, list your name here. Shoot will be Saturday 30th August. Meet at 9am, Kovan MRT Station.

St. Gabriel's Memory Tour
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. JermsDayOut

Cheesecake said:
gabrielites unite!

hi all, was formerly from this school during the Jonathan Chee era... haha

spent half of my first year in the old school that is located at Upper Serangoon Road. and we moved on to the new school compound during the second half of my school year.

i personally feel that its a shame... to leave the lovely convent gals!!!!!

Gabrielites Gabrielites??

St Gabriel's School dear.... i forgotten the sch song! :embrass:

maybe a show of hand and form a list of former students in clubsnap?

:thumbsup:

In white and blue, boys full of mirth and life!

Status
Not open for further replies.