The next step

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi guys,i hav been shooting for abt a year now & there is a funny feeling inside of mi whenever i hav the chance to go for a shoot.it is telling mi tat i am lacking "something",inadequate in some ways or something is amiss,i dun really know.i always feel tat i can shoot better in terms of my framing & composition likewise.It's definetely not a camera body issue;but then i was wondering could it be the lens tat is playing tricks on mi???(i am using a Canon EOS 60D with Tamron 17-50mm Non-VC).Do i nid to change to another lens whatsoever,or do i nid to take up some kind of photography course?Where do i go from here? Gurus pls enlighten...good day!:dunno:

zzzzzz it's the BBB virus. nothing wrong with the gear you are using now zzz

seriously just shoot more!! and learn! and shoot! and learn!

Last edited:
wats the BBB virus ar?

Hi guys,i hav been shooting for abt a year now & there is a funny feeling inside of mi whenever i hav the chance to go for a shoot.it is telling mi tat i am lacking "something",inadequate in some ways or something is amiss,i dun really know.i always feel tat i can shoot better in terms of my framing & composition likewise.It's definetely not a camera body issue;but then i was wondering could it be the lens tat is playing tricks on mi???(i am using a Canon EOS 60D with Tamron 17-50mm Non-VC).Do i nid to change to another lens whatsoever,or do i nid to take up some kind of photography course?Where do i go from here? Gurus pls enlighten...good day!:dunno:

anyway this two got nothing to do with ur lens or camera

Haha bro...tats a good one :thumbsup:

TS: find out which style / genre you like and focus on that. Feel free to attend workshops to deepen your knowledge and get guidance. But most of all: listen to your heart what you really like to do. That's all :)

When in doubt, buy more gear!

Haha! Seriously though, I cannot discern much from what you have said, so there's nothing much I can comment on.

Its like telling us u like to eat ice cream but don't know what you like best, what exactly taste best, and what are the differences among the flavours. You find that you like chocolate, but actually you think vanilla could be better.

We don't have keys to your inner mind, only you do. Instead of wasting time on these questions, get out and shoot and seek that answer.

I can't say for your case but this is what I do. I shoot a picture I think is good (for my standards). Think of the picture now and then but don't look at the actual shot. Go back again and look at the shot after sometime. You will realize what you remembered and what you actually shot is very different. You will always be disappointed with the original shot. Ask yourself what aspects of the version in your memory is actually superior to the original. Go back to the same location, examine and re-shoot.

This approach might not suit your type of photography but hope it helps.
:)

Having a second or third lens may help you to take more pictures for the same subject over again. Each lens has its own character (color, contrast, sharpness, etc) in producing image.
Also, revisit the same subject/location when the lights are changing (morning/late afternoon/night) might give you different picture, although the framing composition and the same.
Pick up photography accessories (tripod, filter, etc) or learn software to process your raw file, are also another area which you may try to produce pictures you may like them better.

"When you feel that you suck, that's the only way you can improve. Gear not going to do **** for you if you don't have your own direction and artistic vision." my friend told me this. Valuable advice that I'm passing on to you today my friend. :)

anyway this two got nothing to do with ur lens or camera

more of a user issue than a gear issue.

If he has a 70-300 and he wants to take landscape, maybe but with kit lens for a beginner, i thought he had a range of genre pretty covered.

I shot an event using kit lens, a VIP saw and asked what lens i was using, i replied 18-55. He said, that's a kit lens, can it be used to cover events? then he shot me a dirty look, to my disgust. for your's and his info, i got the shots =) abit too grainy for my liking because i pushed my iso (not allowed to use flash).

TS: find out which style / genre you like and focus on that. Feel free to attend workshops to deepen your knowledge and get guidance. But most of all: listen to your heart what you really like to do. That's all :)

His heart is telling him to buy lor, infected by BBB liao mah..

Its like telling us u like to eat ice cream but don't know what you like best, what exactly taste best, and what are the differences among the flavours. You find that you like chocolate, but actually you think vanilla could be better.

We don't have keys to your inner mind, only you do. Instead of wasting time on these questions, get out and shoot and seek that answer.

I think this is the question most beginners will have. I was once in this situation, but luckily i had friends to guide me.

"When you feel that you suck, that's the only way you can improve. Gear not going to do **** for you if you don't have your own direction and artistic vision." my friend told me this. Valuable advice that I'm passing on to you today my friend. :)

Good advise. Marcus, did you see this?

On the other hand, one might be really wanting to find out what a piece of gear can do for him. To own it however, is too expensive. My advice is to rent it if you can, or simply march your way down to the service center or shops to try

The next step is honestly asking yourself if you are a photographer or just a guy with a camera.

I don't think so.. but chances of getting distracted by BBB virus are high. Self awareness is necessary.

I guess so. Seems like a stage where most, if not all newbies will go through.. We see this pretty often, don't we? and I thought there's a sticky too..

The next step is honestly asking yourself if you are a photographer or just a guy with a camera.

Would like to think that I'm a photographer. I do produce pretty decent photos with my A33..