The New PENTAX Lens-Interchangeable Digital SLR Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
such kind of strange name from pentax.

Imagine in a shop :

uncle eh, i want to buy the pentax camera, the new one lor, the star (*) in front, 'ist' beside, then got D below. aiya, u know or not? you dunno u say lah, i go elsewhere lor.

Originally posted by ninelives
such kind of strange name from pentax.

Imagine in a shop :

uncle eh, i want to buy the pentax camera, the new one lor, the star (*) in front, 'ist' beside, then got D below. aiya, u know or not? you dunno u say lah, i go elsewhere lor.

:D :D :D

Anyway, am quite surprised by Pentax, quietly launching this without much fanfare, at least not here in Spore.

Originally posted by fruitybix
:D :D :D

Anyway, am quite surprised by Pentax, quietly launching this without much fanfare, at least not here in Spore.

But this is after a whole year of them showing a prototype full-frame unnamed DSLR at trade shows, and then announcing that they will drop the idea totally! Pentax users have been waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and the next thing they announce - APS-sized sensor DSLR. Duh!

They probably didn't want to have internal competition between their 35mm DSLR vs medium format digital backs... and from the looks of it, Pentax might be attempting to bridge the gap between their medium format offerings and their 35mm format offerings. Only time (and the future models of the *ist family) will tell!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS03/1046271605.html

An extract from Imaging Resource, providing a plausible explanation for *ist :

Incidentally, Mike Johnston on the Luminous Landscape has offered a plausible-sounding explanation of the source of the *ist D's name. Obviously the D implies that this is the digital variant of the camera, but *ist is a little less obvious. Mike provides the following explanation, courtesy of Ken Takashita (we honestly can't think of a better way to explain it ourselves):
"This is the new brand name of Pentax SLRs, combining the asterisk, which is one of the wild card characters in the computer language, and the English suffix -ist which means people who do or believe in certain things. The * can be replaced by various words, composing, for example, Artist, Liberalist, Idealist, Naturalist, Humanist, etc. The *ist was named in tribute to those who have their own ideals and live a proactive life."

Any adaptor for nikon lens?

what about 9live's fave brand?

Originally posted by kelvinang
But this is after a whole year of them showing a prototype full-frame unnamed DSLR at trade shows, and then announcing that they will drop the idea totally! Pentax users have been waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and the next thing they announce - APS-sized sensor DSLR. Duh!

They probably didn't want to have internal competition between their 35mm DSLR vs medium format digital backs... and from the looks of it, Pentax might be attempting to bridge the gap between their medium format offerings and their 35mm format offerings. Only time (and the future models of the *ist family) will tell!

Originally posted by denizenx
what about 9live's fave brand?

I got no idea on Minolta's plans... apparently they will do what Pentax had - launch cheaper alternatives to full-frame sensors whenn the market for DSLR settles. We can keep our eyes peeled for it when they eventually launch the Maxxum Digital (or whatever it's going to be called!)...

Originally posted by kelvinang
I got no idea on Minolta's plans... apparently they will do what Pentax had - launch cheaper alternatives to full-frame sensors whenn the market for DSLR settles. We can keep our eyes peeled for it when they eventually launch the Maxxum Digital (or whatever it's going to be called!)...

hope it wun be like their D7, took 3 versions to get it right

I read from a Pentax-related mailing list that later reports on the Pentax *ist D prototype body states that the aperture follower is missing on the mount.

That means that if the production model is based on this prototype, the DSLR will either not be able to use the older K mount lenses without the "A" setting on its aperture ring, or be severely restrictive in the usage of these lenses. In other words, only the SMC-A, F and FA series of lenses will be 100% compatible with the DSLR.

Also, the SMC FA-J 18-35/4-5.6 AL lens that is to be launched at around the same time with the *ist D apparently has no aperture ring... that would render the lens not 100% compatible with Pentax cameras that do not have a function on the body to select the aperture size (ie MZ-5, MZ-5n, and the MZ-S).

Status
Not open for further replies.