The new Lytro camera focus after you take the picture

Psychosis

Mar 19, 2007
http://www.lytro.com/

I wonder how this will catch on? Maybe will be good for street photography and spying haha. Just sneak a shot and worry about the focus later when you are on your com.

Watched that on the TV news yesterday. Not cheap.
Instead of new optical tech, it is perhaps new sensor algorithm.
Company calls it light field tech. May be a fad that loses appeal once novelty wears off.

Price is kind of Ok... $399 USD ($520 SGD) to $499 USD ($650 SGD)... but I agree that its kind of a Novelty thing. Maybe better to 'play' with it like those clip to body/helmet camera like GoPro Hero... I won't hold my breath till I see more detail regarding IQ of the image.

From the sample pictures, after a certain distance the focus is the same (Can't focus far, no inf?:bsmilie:). The quality isn't bad. It says that the Light Field Sensor is just a micro-lens array in front of a normal sensor, maybe they can do away with the clunky zoom lens and just use a small prime? :bsmilie: " captures 11 million light rays " maybe it's 2.2 mp with 5 focal points, then computer stitches them together ??

This is just my zero cents...:)

Canvent said:
From the sample pictures, after a certain distance the focus is the same (Can't focus far, no inf?:bsmilie:). The quality isn't bad. It says that the Light Field Sensor is just a micro-lens array in front of a normal sensor, maybe they can do away with the clunky zoom lens and just use a small prime? :bsmilie: " captures 11 million light rays " maybe it's 2.2 mp with 5 focal points, then computer stitches them together ??

This is just my zero cents...:)

I best guess is the output is not something you can use immediately. What the camera capture is not a series of images but a Fourier domain information. Images are derived out from the specially stored information.

What is shown using the flash are derived slides of information to show you instantly the outcome. Unlikely they perform Fourier transformation on the fly. You need quite fair bit of computational power to derive the images.

That being said, we can see if my understanding is correct when the product is out.

Even Manual focus is faster than this..