The new LEICA SL (Type 601) mirrorless system camera...

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
[20.October.2015] The LEICA SL mirrorless system camera sets new standards in terms of speed, picture quality and versatility.

Managing Director for Leica Asia Pacific, Mr Sunil Kaul, says, “This milestone for Leica Camera is a testament of Leica Camera's commitment towards innovation. The Leica SL is the perfect tool for professional photographers; with the fastest autofocus in the pro full frame camera class. I'm confident this camera will befit photographers from all disciplines to make this their tool of choice. You have to try it for yourself."

Wetzlar, 20 October 2015. The Leica SL system marks the beginning of a new era of professional photography made in Germany. The Leica SL mirrorless system camera is impressive on account of its innovations in exceptional Leica quality. Its 24 MP full-frame CMOS sensor and perfectly matched components – from superior-quality lenses to its electronic viewfinder – guarantee exceptional imaging performance.

EyeRes viewfinder and touchscreen display for total control of every picture

Developed especially for the Leica SL, this electronic viewfinder is the first of its kind to feature Leica EyeRes technology. With a latency time below the threshold of perception, an impressive resolution of 4.4 million pixels and a magnification reminiscent of a medium format camera, this electronic viewfinder offers an entirely new visual experience and numerous advantages: the final image is visible in the viewfinder before the shutter release is pressed, which enables optimum control over the final picture in any situation. The EyeRes viewfinder is activated simply by looking through it. In addition, the Leica SL also features a 2.95" back panel display with a viewing angle of up to 170° that enables reliable viewing of pictures and efficient touchscreen menu navigation.

Last edited:
Maestro II processor for maximum performance

The high-performance Maestro II series processor guarantees that photographers never miss even the fastest-moving subjects and that the camera responds instantaneously to all commands. Together with 2 GB of buffer memory, the processor makes it possible to capture consecutive exposures at rates of up to 11 frames per second at full 24 MP resolution and 4K video with a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Pictures can be saved simultaneously to an SD memory card as both a JPEG and DNG in line with the fast UHS II standard. Thanks to its Maestro II series processor, the Leica SL achieves the best performance currently possible in the professional camera class and underlines the innovative character of the camera.

24 MP CMOS sensor for exceptional picture quality in 35 mm full-frame format

The 24 MP CMOS full-frame sensor guarantees impressive dynamic range, excellent contrast rendition, exceptional sharpness, the highest resolution, and noise-free images in almost all lighting conditions. The shutter provides speeds from 30 minutes to 1/8000 sec. The sensor reveals its full potential in combination with Leica SL lenses, especially in available-light situations, and captivates users with atmospheric exposures in superior quality at ISO settings up to a maximum of 50,000. What’s more, it is optimised for use with Leica M-Lenses and, in addition to supporting all their functions, delivers the excellent picture quality with which Leica has been synonymous for more than 100 years.

The new movie star: professional video in cinematic resolution

The Leica SL is much more than a professional still-picture camera with video recording capability: it fulfils even the most stringent demands of moviemakers as a fully fledged video camera. Thanks to its 24 MP CMOS sensor and high-performance Maestro II series processor, the Leica SL enables the production of professional videos in 4K resolution. Videos can be recorded in UHD at 30 frames per second or even in Cine4K at 24 frames per second. In full HD, the Leica SL records video at up to 120 frames per second and makes use of the entire sensor area. Here, the logical and intuitive handling concept of the camera makes a clear distinction between still- and motion-picture recording. As soon as the camera is in video mode, the display shows only relevant information for video recording, such as safe area, aspect ratio, zebra function or the recording level of the microphone. An optional audio adapter allows you to connect an external microphone and the audio recording level can be set without accessing the menu. Videos can be output in 4:2:2 10-bit format in 4K resolution over HDMI 1.4.

Last edited:
Aluminium body for robust performance in everyday photography

From the beginning, resilience and robustness were at the focus of the Leica SL’s development. Body components machined from solid aluminium and precisely engineered seals around controls and in the lenses provide optimum protection against dust, moisture and splashes for the sensitive technology inside. At the same time, integrated ultrasonic sensor cleaning removes dust and dirt from the sensor. The glass covering the back panel display is extremely scratch-resistant and features an anti-reflex coating. All these properties make the camera an ideal tool for use in the rough, everyday conditions faced by professional photographers. In the interplay between its equally classic and functional design and its distinctive lines, the Leica SL is another example of Leica’s fine art of engineering.

A new generation of lenses for excellent picture quality

The combination of outstanding imaging performance and the fastest autofocus currently possible makes working with the Leica SL an entirely new experience and enables photographers to produce images in a quality never before seen in 35 mm format. True to Leica’s principles, the new lenses specific to the Leica SL are distinguished by superior optical and mechanical precision. With its wide range of focal lengths and high speed, the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. is the ideal standard zoom lens in the Leica SL-System portfolio. The zoom range of the fast Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4 follows on directly from this and the current lens portfolio is rounded off by the Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH., the new reference lens for this focal length.

What’s more, the exceptional compatibility of the Leica SL-System grants photographers access to almost all Leica lenses ever made. For instance, all lenses for the Leica T camera can be used without an adapter. In addition, appropriate adapters allow Leica S, M, and R system lenses and lenses from other manufacturers to be mounted on the Leica SL.

Here is the Noctilux on the SL...

Last edited:
Availability:

The Leica SL (Type 601) body will be on sale from 16 November 2015. The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. zoom lens will be available at the same time. Further Leica SL lenses will follow.

Price upon availability.

Technical Data LEICA SL (Typ 601)

Lenses
Lens Mount: Leica L-Mount

Sensor
Type: 24-MP-CMOS-Sensor (24 x 36 mm)
Resolution: Full Frame (24 MP): 6000 x 4000 Pixel, APS-C (10 MP): 3936 x 2624 Pixel
Filter: IR-Filter, no Lowpass Filter
ISO: ISO 50–ISO 50000

Processor
Type: Leica Maestro II series
Internal RAM: 2 GB: 33 DNGs or 30 JPEGs and DNGs

Image Data Format: JPEG, DNG
Colordepth: 14 bit (DNG), 8 bit (JPEG)
JPEG: Color Space Adobe RGB, ECI RGB, sRGB

Motion
File Format: MP4, MOV
Resolution: 4K (4096 x 2160) @ 24 fps;
4K (3840 x 2160) @ 25 and 30 fps;
1080 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps;
720 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps

Last edited:
EVF
Resolution: SXAG, 4.4 MP
Size: 0.66"
Eye Point: 20 mm
Field of View: 37°
Magnification: x 0.80 (With 50 mm lens at infinity, −1 dpt)
Frame coverage: 100 %
Diopter correction: − 4 to +2
Eye Sensor: Yes

Storage: SD 1 slot (UHS II) with maximum writing speed 100 MB/s
SD 2 slot (UHS I) with maximum writing speed 30 MB/s

Focussing
Type: Contrast AF
Focus Modes: AF-S (focus priority), AF-C (shutter priority), MF, Touch-AF
AF Modes: Static, Dynamic (tracking), Auto (face detection)
AF Size: Point, Field, Zone (9 Fields)
AF Steps: 37 or 49 Fields
AF Assist Lamp: Built in

Exposure
Exposure Modes: Program Mode (P), Shutter speed priority mode (T),
Aperture priority mode (A) and manual mode (M)
Exposure Metering Modes: Center weighted, Multi zone, Spot
Exposure Compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 EV-steps
Exposure Bracketing: 3/5/7 images in 1/2/3 aperture steps; additional direct JPEG-HDR

Shutter
Type: Focal plain shutter
Drive Modes: Single, Continuous slow S (4 fps), Continuous medium M (7 fps), Continuous fast F (11 fps),
Self timer 2 s, Self timer 12 s, Interval, Exposure Bracketing, Time exposures up to 30 min
Shutter speed: 1/8000 s to 60 s, time exposures up to 30 min, Max. frame rate 11 fps,
Warranty: 2 years or 200,000 releases

Wi-Fi: Built in, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n (2.5 GHz)

GPS: Built in, Automatic time and date, Sensitivity < 1°

Power supply: Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, Nominal voltage 8.4 V, Capacity at least 1860 mAh;
Lifetime per charge (CIPA): approx. 400 shoots; Charging time: approx. 180 min; Charger: 100&#8211;240 V 50/60 Hz 0.25 A with adapters

Touch Screen: 2.95" Touch Back light LED with Anti-fingerprint and Anti-scratch coating;
1.04 Mio. pixels; Format 3:2; Frame coverage: 100%

Top Display: 1.28" highly reflective monochrome LCD; 128 x 128 dots; View angle 120°; Anti-fingerprint coating

Housing
Material: Milled Aluminium
Dust/Spray water sealing: Provided

Software: Remote Control (USB): Leica Image Shuttle SL; Remote Control (Wi-Fi): Leica SL app (Android/iOS)

Last edited:
I managed to take the LEICA SL (Type601) for a short test drive during the launch event (I'll upload my images shortly)...

But to really experience it, why not take the new LEICA SL (Type601) for a test drive of your own?

LEICA Singapore has arranged for the LEICA SL (Type 601) during their upcoming Photographer's Day with Leica Camera: The &#8220;Das Wesentliche&#8221; Experience | Nov 1, Sunday, 12PM - 6PM.

CSers (Leica users or otherwise) are invited to register for this event by 28 October 2015. An email confirmation will be sent out to confirm attendance by 29 October 2015. Pls find the link here - https://goo.gl/Aocsio

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Good move for Leica. the focus peaking for focussing and ability to use all kinds of lenses drove Leica to this,which is good. But seems price is> 6K euros.

I wonder what's the future beyond the m240.

Not too excited over this for a few reasons.

Lenses
After Sony, Leica has again proven that making compact fast zoom lenses is a challenge. An advantage with mirrorless cameras is size and weight. Where's the sense in making small light weight cameras and then mate them with pieces of bricks? The 24-90 looks so oversized with the SL. Ok, I can use my M lenses with this via an expensive adaptor but why would I want to do that when I already have a Typ 240?

Price
There's no logic. Comparing to the Q which uses the same processor, sensor with same resolution and comes with a fast prime, The SL costs almost 2x more. How the maths worked out is beyond me.

Looks
It's fugly. Nuff said.

From what I gather, the T didn't make it. I don't see how the SL will either.

Not too excited over this for a few reasons.

Lenses
After Sony, Leica has again proven that making compact fast zoom lenses is a challenge. An advantage with mirrorless cameras is size and weight. Where's the sense in making small light weight cameras and then mate them with pieces of bricks? The 24-90 looks so oversized with the SL. Ok, I can use my M lenses with this via an expensive adaptor but why would I want to do that when I already have a Typ 240?

Price
There's no logic. Comparing to the Q which uses the same processor, sensor with same resolution and comes with a fast prime, The SL costs almost 2x more. How the maths worked out is beyond me.

Looks
It's fugly. Nuff said.

From what I gather, the T didn't make it. I don't see how the SL will either.

The Leica T after firmware updates actually is far better than when it first came out. I guess the SL is like a 3-in-1 Leica system, accepts M, native L and T lens which automatically crops the image with all functions intact.
Some of the IQ of pics taken with the 50mm 1.4 M lens look no diff from those taken by the M240.
The enduring thing about Leica IQ (digital or film) is that practically no pic will look flat or clinical (ie too digitalized).

I feel this is targeted more at existing Leica owners rather then trying to win over those sitting by the fence. Leica owners who use the M for leisure/street and DSLR for more serious stuff. Now they can finally own a Leica DSLR system instead of using non-Leica DSLR.

This is an important product for Leica. M mount users, including myself are getting older, our eye sights are not what they are used to, hence the reason to prefer an evf camera like the sony a7 because, we love leica glasses.

This camera evf is 4.4 million dot pixels and 0.8x magnification. This felt obvious to me, but I can't help but think Leica just want some of the M users back.

This is an important product for Leica. M mount users, including myself are getting older, our eye sights are not what they are used to, hence the reason to prefer an evf camera like the sony a7 because, we love leica glasses.

This camera evf is 4.4 million dot pixels and 0.8x magnification. This felt obvious to me, but I can't help but think Leica just want some of the M users back.

however the users who are getting older are also turning to mirror-less for the weight savings. so the SL does not help in that aspect.

maybe a SL mini or a SL rangefinder format will come in the future.

however the users who are getting older are also turning to mirror-less for the weight savings. so the SL does not help in that aspect.

maybe a SL mini or a SL rangefinder format will come in the future.
Being someone who only uses a 35(99%) and 90(1%), i think the only other thing i need for a .85kg camera, is a spider holster.

Though yes, sometimes, i also think about the upcoming rx1rm2, and screw the 1% :)

Test shot 1

Leica Camera AG Leica SL | VARIO-ELMARIT 1:2.8-4.0/24-90mm ASPH OIS | &#402;/5.6 | 45.0mm | 1/250sec | ISO100

Test shot 2

Leica Camera AG Leica SL | VARIO-ELMARIT 1:2.8-4.0/24-90mm ASPH OIS | &#402;/5.6 | 84.0mm | 1/250sec | ISO100

My humble initial thoughts of the new LEICA SL (Type 601)... I was honestly quite impressed.

Some rumours were that it was going to be a DSLR, and I'm very glade that it wasn't. The Leicaflex SL was the first series of 35mm single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras manufactured by Leitz back in 1960s. The SL was replaced by the Leica R soon after, which has a fairly successful run, up to 2009 when Leica announced that it would cease production of the R-Series manual focus SLR and lenses.

It is somewhat fitting that Leica had chosen the "SL" name for what appears to be a replacement of the R in Leica's lineup. While the "SL" meant "Selective Light" in the 1960s model, the "SL" of the Type 601 refers to the German word "Spiegellos", meaning "Mirrorless".

The Leica SL (Type 601) sits above the M (Rangefinder) camera, and below the S (MediumFormat) camera.

The thing I was most impressed about the Type 601 during my 10mins fondling it, was the 4.4MP viewfinder! If anyone has looked through a VF of a APS-C DSLR finder, then looked into the VF of a DSLR FF, and got all excited about how big and bright the FF VF was... well, in the world of EVFs, this 4.4MP EVF may possibly set the mark for a while to come.

But damn, the body was big and heavy, and the lenses were huge! I think we have the expectation FF mirrorless cameras to provide the same image quality as a FF DSLR, but in a smaller body. I don't think Leica is nec going down the same route with the Type 601. Instead, Leica is developing a whole new professional system, with full bodied professional lenses, starting with the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH, Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4, and Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. With such lenses, and such a large EVF, it's hard to imagine it mounted on a small body.

I can mount my M lenses! Manual focus assist is in the form of focus peaking and live view magnification.

Focusing was snappy, due to the new AF construct of the new lenses. But I would like to see how it preforms in real-life focus tracking. That been said, the SL was used by some professional photographers, with some very nice results, at the Singapore GP as well as the Moto GP. Further, the Leica SL is also touted as a professional system for video recording with 4K cine resolution. But that been said, I'm not much of a video man...

If you would like to try the Leica SL (Type 601) yourself, LEICA Singapore has arranged for the LEICA SL (Type 601) during their upcoming Photographer's Day with Leica Camera: The “Das Wesentliche” Experience | Nov 1, Sunday, 12PM - 6PM. Pls see this post for details on signing up.

Their demo video shows a F1 night scene where it is being used? Seems like it was in SG during the 2015 Sept race? I could be wrong.