The new ipad

ahboy168

Mar 30, 2009
East
Is the screen as good as those professional calibrated monitor?
Or do you just Use default lcd setting?

Is the screen as good as those professional calibrated monitor?
Or do you just Use default lcd setting?

You use default setting. It's not a professional monitor, nor is it a professional photo editing tool. It's an overgrown iPod touch. Apple did not design it as a photo editing tool, it's designed as a big gaming screen.

This is also covered and discussed in the many reviews out there.

While I like iPad and own from iPad 1, 2 and now waiting for my NEW iPad to arrive. iPad does makes good presentation medium.

I believe what you are looking for is this
Out There Images Blog » Datacolor iPad Screen Calibration - Spyder Gallery

Due to the security sandbox of Apple apps, it is therefore only Spyder app able to display calibrated colours.

However, I believe it can grow further should the applications are willing collaborate by reading in ICC profiles which can be easily imported into every app that support it. Since the calibration is done with the assistance of an external computer.

With the new Retina display, which is why I adore this latest tablet, I'm sure it can capture audience that wanted good colour reproduction on it.

Added Information

I have looked up the iOS API and found since iOS 4.0 it can readily accept ICC profiles for displaying colour managed contents. Meaning it is definitely possible for every application to participate by allowing ICC profiles.

However don't be happy, because like above mentioned Apple security sandbox model, it means you will need to inject the very same ICC profile for every individual app, until Apple decided to have such an option available throughout the platform.

Let me see if it's possible to whip up a simple proof of concept.

Last edited:
Everywhere no stock.
But shop in sim Lin square unit is consider grey or local ? Or any different ?
How to tell.

i just got the ipad + 4G 64 gb last nite. And after uploading my full res 16mp pictures onto it, i m really dam impressed with the screen, and the pics really come to live and look super good.

It is also then that i realise that the apple shops used lousy low res photos in their demo units. In the apple shop when i toyed with the ipad 3, i often see grains and blotches when i zoom in their images. But when i use my own 16mp pics, I dun encounter such issues any more.

Another thing which i find is the really good thing for me is that text appears really really sharp, its much much sharper than the ipad 1 and ipad 2. Also, even after i had installed 100+ apps onto it, it still works snappily, very responsive without much lag. This monster is a dream to read text!

Really glad to be able to get it, i tried many many many shops and ran around singapore, before managing to find it.. phew...

devilry said:
i just got the ipad + 4G 64 gb last nite. And after uploading my full res 16mp pictures onto it, i m really dam impressed with the screen, and the pics really come to live and look super good.

It is also then that i realise that the apple shops used lousy low res photos in their demo units. In the apple shop when i toyed with the ipad 3, i often see grains and blotches when i zoom in their images. But when i use my own 16mp pics, I dun encounter such issues any more.

Another thing which i find is the really good thing for me is that text appears really really sharp, its much much sharper than the ipad 1 and ipad 2. Also, even after i had installed 100+ apps onto it, it still works snappily, very responsive without much lag. This monster is a dream to read text!

Really glad to be able to get it, i tried many many many shops and ran around singapore, before managing to find it.. phew...

Welcome to the new high ground :) if you notice, the blue is more vibrant. :) Go download the Flipboard? It is retina ready and so are the contents. Main issue now is if the app is not retina ready, the quick 2x scale up really makes it looks sucky in the new iPad.

Last edited:
Got the iPad 3 myself right at the release date, no queue at all. Guess I'm lucky. The iPad 3 really shines when used as a presentation device thanks to its retina display. Making an already good device even better.

The screen is very good but not sure whether it regards the embedded ICC profile in jpegs ? See here

The screen is very good but not sure whether it regards the embedded ICC profile in jpegs ? See here
it doesn't... iOS is not colour managed... at least for now...

Better Color And Adobe RGB Performance : Apple's iPad 3, Part 1: The Complete Retina Display And A5X ReviewI have the ipad 2 and 3 side by compared. The some "blacks/shadows" areas of the picture in iPAD2 is shown as dark/not viewable but on the iPAD 3 it still have details!

This is because what i checked is the ipad 3 have a larger gamut range or reached 66% of Adobe 1988 RGB (for those who do color managmenet will undersatnd)

luvgamut_ipad3.png

But the downside is the iPAD 3 is WARMER at the back - if used same hours as the ipad2 and flat battery charging takes 6+ hours!

Not sure they can solve the heat issue... troubling :think:

Last edited:
Got the iPad 3 myself right at the release date, no queue at all. Guess I'm lucky. The iPad 3 really shines when used as a presentation device thanks to its retina display. Making an already good device even better.

Actually yes ipad 2 not as "sharp" as 3 - but actually not by too much as unlike iPHONE, your viewing distance using an ipad is longer. It is the colors that is better on the IPAD3 that wins hands down.

DM101 said:
Actually yes ipad 2 not as "sharp" as 3 - but actually not by too much as unlike iPHONE, your viewing distance using an ipad is longer. It is the colors that is better on the IPAD3 that wins hands down.

Have u use one? Both ipad2 and ipad3.

Is there an adapter for CF card to upload images directly to iPad without PC ? Now, I can only find those with SD.

Is there an adapter for CF card to upload images directly to iPad without PC ? Now, I can only find those with SD.

There are, but not official Apple accessories.

Have u use one? Both ipad2 and ipad3.

iPAD 3 have better colors and can see more deatils in shadows.. once you have that you will not use ipAD 2 already :)

Sure... I had been using this all this while to preview my photos. The upload is fast too - I shoot RAW files only

The Apple Camera Connection Kit Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Singapore)

I used only the CF one... USB didn't try or use. It was more expensive when first sold. I see the price now dropped to $38 :)

PS: It come with the 2 adapters as shown

Last edited:
DM101 said:
Sure... I had been using this all this while to preview my photos. The upload is fast too - I shoot RAW files only

The Apple Camera Connection Kit

I used only the CF one... USB didn't try or use. It was more expensive when first sold. I see the price now dropped to $38 :)

PS: It come with the 2 adapters as shown

That's SD, not CF.

Third party CF what brand and where to get it?

That's SD, not CF.

o i c. Not sure using an CF to USB adapter then using the Apple USB connection kit whether will work or not ?... I don't have a CF card so can't test for you