the new AFS 85mm f1.4G worth it?

If you buy it and only use it less than 4 times a month, then not worth it.
Worth or not worth it, everyone has different measurement.
Most important is you can afford to buy and utilize it often.
And it can help you generate the images that you desire(for sales/for paid assignments/for competitions/for self satisfactions)
If you have no idea what kind/level of images to generate or rarely use it, then every lens is the same for you.
And it's better you invest your money somewhere else for better usage(for your own or your family members).

Last edited:
how good is it when compare to the mighty canon's 84 f1.2 ll ?

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/410-nikon-af-s-85mm-14g-vs-canon-85-12l-ii/

(Sorry OT)
I mainly use the f1.2 but having tried the AFD 85 I do not find the image quality and bokeh to be lacking in any manner and improvements can only be marginal and incremental. It is an awesome lens and it gives all that anyone can need from an 85mm. Only start to reconsider when nikon come out with an 85 1.2.

Anyone tried both G and D on D3X? Which turns out better? Thanks.

Anyone tried both G and D on D3X? Which turns out better? Thanks.

There are many reviews that compare the G and the D. As far as optical quality goes, most if not all the G lenses trump their D counterparts. If you're only looking at optical quality then the G is better. If you're looking at other things like build quality the AF-D primes are generally better than their G counterparts.

I thought the price of 85mm f1.4 had already dropped to around 1.3k? Or that's second hand?

Only if you buy in HK... but still warranty set since lens warranty is international.

That price is only available in HK. I dunno why. But the G lens is cheaper is Singapore when I was there in Dec 2011. I don't know why.

There are many reviews that compare the G and the D. As far as optical quality goes, most if not all the G lenses trump their D counterparts. If you're only looking at optical quality then the G is better. If you're looking at other things like build quality the AF-D primes are generally better than their G counterparts.

Another option AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G which is in the market now, <$700, for FX body, good reviews so far for this price...

how about Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF.2 ?
with comparison to both nikon D and G ??

Another option AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G which is in the market now, <$700, for FX body, good reviews so far for this price...

Got this over the weekend.. at very much less than $700, and so far, it is one fantastic lens! Very happy with the $$ spent.

I just bought and tried the 85mm F/1.8 G last weekend.

It's very sharp as what been tested by jared polin (FroKnowsPhoto)
In fact too sharp at times reviewing lots of facial flaws ^^"

I just bought and tried the 85mm F/1.8 G last weekend.

It's very sharp as what been tested by jared polin (FroKnowsPhoto)
In fact too sharp at times reviewing lots of facial flaws ^^"

Softening is easier than sharpening though, so reveal facial flaws just photoshop away!

Got this over the weekend.. at very much less than $700, and so far, it is one fantastic lens! Very happy with the $$ spent.
Hi Bro,

any idea where i could get my hands on AFS 85 f1.8? tried my luck at TK but was told no stock...:(

Nikon 85 f1.4 AF-D

Weakness

- CA.
- Weak corner sharpness.
- Weak colour saturation & reproduction. Matter of taste to some.
- Unstable/Jerky AF tracking due to AF-D motor.

Nikon 85 f1.4G AF-S

Weakness

- Plastic built. Pros & con, plastic absorbs impact. Hood does not dent like the AF-D.
- Slightly slower AF. However not slow enough to affect shooting in any condition, infact it benefits tracking stability.
- Warmer colours, highly saturated. But also means good colour transmission...

Canon 85 f1.2L II

Weakness

- CA as bad or worse than 85 f1.4 AF-D. But really the sharpest of the lot. This is affected wildly by copy variation.
- Acceptable corner sharpness wide-open. (You really don't need that sharpness in the corner at f1.2)
- Cats-eye bokeh at corner of frame due to aspherical elements. 85 f1.4D is rounder, followed by 85 f1.4G. 85 f1.2L II bokeh is creamiest.
- Softer colours than 85 f1.4G. Some canon users swear by the skintone though.

Hi Bro,

any idea where i could get my hands on AFS 85 f1.8? tried my luck at TK but was told no stock...:(

TK, MS and CP all no stock. I got the last piece off Alan Photo. Guess have to wait for the next shipment.

Other places you can try those shops in SLS. But just be wary of the price and do your homework