the new AFS 85mm f1.4G worth it?

jrhellboy

Mar 2, 2011
Hey is it worth it to upgrade from existing AF 85mm f1.4d? Quite pricey sia.

Short answer : yes
Long answer:

- sharper
- solve CA problem
- more convenient focus override
- faster and more accurate focus
- Nano coating - better lens flare handling

just to add on to what SnagIt has already mentioned,
the color is better too (the 85 1.4D is a bit too cool on the color balance side)

A new piece of 85mm f1.4d is around SGD1,800 while the G version is only SGD2,000. The price difference is just SGD200 but the qualities differ as mentioned above.

I thought the price of 85mm f1.4 had already dropped to around 1.3k? Or that's second hand?

I thought the price of 85mm f1.4 had already dropped to around 1.3k? Or that's second hand?

That's 2nd hand price range..grey set around SGD1,400. Seems like most people buy 2nd hand or grey set version rather than brand new local set for this lens.
However, when do comparison, cannot compare a brand new local set price (for f1.4G) versus a 2nd hand/grey set price (for f1.4D). Not fair.

Last edited:
Now for the bad points of the afs 85mm.

- forcusing speed is much slower( 2 x slower compare using d3s)
- more parts.. Motor means more things to spoil
- go NSC to quote price of cleaning for both lens u be shock at how ex the afs is.
- the color too warm.. Lost the magical image rendering cap of the lengendary cream machine.
- bokeh is more harsh. Dun only compare on day bokeh only try night spot light one too.

To me personally is not worth upgrading after intensive comparing both versions when it was launch months ago. The AFD give me a wow Everytime I use it which the afs dun.

I know this is a nikon discussion, but would like to ask. Where would u place the sigma F/1.4 HSM when comparing it's built and IQ against the two nikon lenses?

I know this is a nikon discussion, but would like to ask. Where would u place the sigma F/1.4 HSM when comparing it's built and IQ against the two nikon lenses?

I'd say the sigma is average performer but cheaper than the G. Weak sharpness at corner until F4 - F5.6. Suffers from CA too but better than the AF-D. If you want top quality go for AFS G. If you on budget but want moderate-good performance, go for the Sigma. The AFD, I personally will forget about it since the price is higher than the sigma and not better

haha i am also keen on a 85mm lens but prob considering the afd version more.
was wondering how the 85mm would perform indoors, would the FOV be too tight?

honestly speaking I still like the old af85 f1.4 looks and feels better.(metal hood) But is it true that the sigma out performs the af85 f1.4d?? walaueh. third party lens nowadays, getting cheaper and better.

honestly speaking I still like the old af85 f1.4 looks and feels better.(metal hood) But is it true that the sigma out performs the af85 f1.4d?? walaueh. third party lens nowadays, getting cheaper and better.

Certainly not something to complain about :)
Maybe I'll rent one this weekend to try.

I'm a happy user of the 85 f1.4G. The dof is thin for a lens like that. Even if stopped down to f2.8 (because it an 85mm) So AF accuracy is very important here.

Will recommend this over the D version as AF on the D is a hit and miss. Although the AF on the D is faster, you hardly need the lens to cycle through the whole focus range to get the AF lock. usually its a smaller adjustment which in turn does close the gap i terms of AF speed. I'll rather have accurate AF over fast AF for a lens like that.

I like the Sigma. In my real world usage, I find CA performance is much better than 1.4D and almost the same as the 1.4G. It's micro contrast is awesome, tack sharp and the bokeh is amazingly creamy. And you gotta love the price you can get it nowadays. I am amazed at the performance SOOC. It is almost there in the league with the 1.4G.

If you are interested I can show you a pic or two SOOC. just pm me.

Last edited:
AFS 85mm f1.4G - awesome! Moved from 1.4D...

To be fair, if you are not particular and dont analyze your pics, apart from better contrast in the 1.4G - one will probably won't notice the difference between the 1.4G and 1.4D. However, if you really notice, especially at the corners the 1.4G is sharp at f2.8 and after. The corners of 1.4D will only get sharp after f8.0. 1.4G is weather sealed (if thats important to you...), 1.4D is not. The hood design in 1.4G is better - for putting on and removal, again if this is important to you...

What I think can be better in the 1.4G... in my view 1.4D seems to focus faster (? maybe my perception...).

So, it actually boils down to "if it is worth it" in your opinion. For me, I think it is.

A word of caution bros & sis', do test this lens on the spot with your camera when you buy. I had a bad sample that is not sharp wide open till f5.6. Subsequent one that was replaced is tack sharp all the way.

Yes, I do like the new AF-S 85mm f/1.4G. If value is what you are after, the Sigma is much more worthwhile.

how good is it when compare to the mighty canon's 84 f1.2 ll ?

sorry to OT this thread, but is the 1.4 bokeh much nicer then the 1.8 bokeh

havent used the 1.4D yet but the 1.4G is very very sharp wide open corner to corner on D3s, managed to borrow from a friend haha
it's not as sharp on my D90 maybe because the focusing system of D3s is light years away compared to D90.

SneakerX said:
havent used the 1.4D yet but the 1.4G is very very sharp wide open corner to corner on D3s, managed to borrow from a friend haha
it's not as sharp on my D90 maybe because the focusing system of D3s is light years away compared to D90.

Do we compare sharpness in this manner?