The NBA finals are here again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
Miami Heat vs Dallas Mavericks!!

Looks like the CS NBA fans only come out once a year... and that's during the NBA finals!!!
(of course, this is not true... that should be twice a year, as we had another thread on All-Star weekend!!!) :bsmilie:

Series starts 8 June (dates and time are US EDT)
Game 1 - 8 June
Game 2 - 11 June
Game 3 - 13 June
Game 4 - 15 June
Game 5 - 18 June (if nec)
Game 6 - 20 June (if nec)
Game 7 - 22 June (if nec)

Simple poll - Who do you think will win the NBA Championship, and in how many games?

as with last year's poll, i will record the polling results at the end of every game.

for the "uncertain", i have enabled multiple votes, but pls don't choose all 8!!

ya NBA finals :)

I voted heat in 6 if D Wade can play as well as he did in the piston series. He had really unbelievable shooting percentage through the whole series. With him and shaq, it is really easy for heat to have a greater than 50% shooting percentage all the time.

Timing of the finals kinda clash with World Cup 2006...but then again I'm not sure if most NBA fans are fans of football also. :bsmilie: Anyways most of the games start live abt 8:00-9:00 am Singapore time I believe?

So no Nash this year, no problem....big Dirk can raise to big occasion, if they can ditch Spurs in 7, I think they are good enought to nail the Heat.....I am going for Marverick 4 -2 :lovegrin:

i go for Maverick! both teams are equally surprise.. maverick once a lousy team, and an owner just rejuvitate it. and shaq got a lot of criticism, but you just can't deny a player who have lead 3 different teams to Finals!! (orlando magics, LA lakers, and Miami Heats), i consider this as one of really difficult achievement..

LENS said:
i go for Maverick! both teams are equally surprise.. maverick once a lousy team, and an owner just rejuvitate it. and shaq got a lot of criticism, but you just can't deny a player who have lead 3 different teams to Finals!! (orlando magics, LA lakers, and Miami Heats), i consider this as one of really difficult achievement..

ya man. now kobe probably realised that Shaq is the more dominant player in the old LA team. There are a couple players "like" kobe. Example, Wade, Lebron. But there isn't anyone quite like Shaq.

Heat has some three point shooters, Wade who can go past most people on the dribble, and of course Shaq who creates so much problem. The problem with Dallas is that they do not have a superstar who can consistently create problems. Dirk sometimes cannot shoot well throughout the whole game.

For Heat, you just have to throw it to Shaq down low and Dallas have to do something.

Anyway I watched the few matches between spurs and dallas which was telecast and I find that spurs was not really very good in the series. Parker's jumpshot and drives were not going in and Ginobli still looked kind of injured. Only duncan to carry the team.... Spurs looked worse than last year

but actually kobe have managed in his own way, he got talents too.. but leading 3 different teams to finals is an achievement that needs talents and lucks.

It actually surprise me that the Heats beats Pistons, as most of the critics have believed pistons will move in to finals.

Shaq hasn't be that dominant before, and his role in Miami heat have reduced comparing to times he was in Orlando and LA.. and Wade is a star in making, he can help in winning a game, but winning a series (finals) may need more helps from others.

One of the reason i think Pistons lost to Heats, is.. Ben Wallace free throw is equally bad to Shap, so no 'Hack the Shaq' can be used..

I guess Dallas should be able to win..

wah.. din know got such thread here.. juz nice for me to put this self made poster..haa.. for fun only.. supporting Mavs.. wee... ;p

dasfinal_jpg.jpg

WatsUpGungho said:
wah.. din know got such thread here.. juz nice for me to put this self made poster..haa.. for fun only.. supporting Mavs.. wee... ;p

dasfinal_jpg.jpg

Which channel? At wat time?

LENS said:
It actually surprise me that the Heats beats Pistons, as most of the critics have believed pistons will move in to finals.
i was rooting for the pistons too, but they were totally slaugthered by miami... shaq although not as dominant as before as a centre, he plays much smarter now. "flash" was also a huge part of their success against the pistons, shooting... what 70% against them... part of that with flu-like symptoms!!! then there were the excellent play of the roll players, walker, posey, payton, williams, haslem, mading wide open shots when the ball was kicked out of the double-team...

pistons didn't help themselves be shooting by shooting below 30%!!!

i don't think that the heat would be able to sustain their shooting form, nor would they be able to contain the mavs, lead by dirk, terry, and howard. unlike detriot who couldn't buy a basket, the mavs can score with the best of them... and guess what, they can play D too!!

I am a Heats Fan... I think they have emerged during the playoffs with "the other" players playing above themselves... namely Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, and forgot this other player's name...

But I must say that Dirk's game against the Suns in Game 5 was truly amazing... Avery Johnson is such a good coach, whenever they have a time out, they come out blazing...

Please dont flame me, but as a Heats fan, I prefer them to play Mavs than Suns... Mavs has ONE star on court (the other is coach Avery.. I think Josh Howard cant play consistently enough), while Suns has many players who can play like a star.

This year's NBA has been great so far... hopefully we will see another Game 7 in this series to cap off already a fantastic playoff...

it is always a good thing to see new teams in finals..

anyone can tell me where i can watch nba game?

I watched last years finals mostly at the coffee shop near my workplace, which is AMK..i sneak out during work lol.

But the last time i went there, the coffee shop help refused to on tv in the morning, claiming his boss said no tv on morning, cost saving...sigh..

somebody please help..any place can watch in AMK?ha

Cactus jACK said:
i don't think that the heat would be able to sustain their shooting form, nor would they be able to contain the mavs, lead by dirk, terry, and howard. unlike detriot who couldn't buy a basket, the mavs can score with the best of them... and guess what, they can play D too!!

don't bet on it. Wade was like scorching HOT for the entire series. not like one game wonder kid Kobe. Pistons can play defense better than any team. The problem is that if you watched the piston series, many of the heat moves are just not defensible.

Example

1) wade dribbling then sinking the fadeaway jumper. This move is like AMAZING considering how tough it is but Wade was like shooting this at a very high percentage throughout the series.

2) wade slashing in, either getting the layup OR passing to Shaq

3) shaq getting the ball deep + offensive rebounds.

Dallas can ONLY win if Shaq gets into foul trouble. They have to drive to the basket and make Shaq pick up quick fouls, or if the officials call out offensive fouls. I think Ben Wallace is a good defender but bad actor.... To defend Shaq all you need is real good acting and willingess to put your face on the path of the elbow.

ajneo said:
I am a Heats Fan... I think they have emerged during the playoffs with "the other" players playing above themselves... namely Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, and forgot this other player's name...

But I must say that Dirk's game against the Suns in Game 5 was truly amazing... Avery Johnson is such a good coach, whenever they have a time out, they come out blazing...

you watched the Sun's Game 5? where?? I thought it was not telecast on SCV.

Anyway the other player's name is Jason Williams. He was like perfect from the field 10-10 during a major part of game 6.

wind30 said:
don't bet on it. Wade was like scorching HOT for the entire series. not like one game wonder kid Kobe. Pistons can play defense better than any team. The problem is that if you watched the piston series, many of the heat moves are just not defensible.

Example

1) wade dribbling then sinking the fadeaway jumper. This move is like AMAZING considering how tough it is but Wade was like shooting this at a very high percentage throughout the series.

2) wade slashing in, either getting the layup OR passing to Shaq

3) shaq getting the ball deep + offensive rebounds.

Dallas can ONLY win if Shaq gets into foul trouble. They have to drive to the basket and make Shaq pick up quick fouls, or if the officials call out offensive fouls. I think Ben Wallace is a good defender but bad actor.... To defend Shaq all you need is real good acting and willingess to put your face on the path of the elbow.

To be fair, Kobe is not a one game wonder kid, he have been considered as MVP candidate and Wade isn't. and even he is a one game wonder kid, how many kids in NBA had scored 81 points ah? ha.

The mental toughness showed by Mavs throught spurs and suns series is what boasting their confidence, they won over some tight games.

By the way, anyone notice that crap NBA.com? The website isn't functinal well, and updates with old information of last 2 weeks, and even a flash with pistons vs bucks as championship..what is wrong with that website? I can't believe that not one fixing that problem..

or just my pc problem?ha.

wind30 said:
first and foremost, don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the heat - in fact, i have liked the heat way back in the days of alonzo, timmy hardaway, eddie jones, jamal mashburn, etc...

but wade is a streaky scorer, and he would need it to continue to have the hot hand for the heat to play with the mavs. on the other side, dirk and howard would also have to continue their good form, with stackhouse coming off the bench.

the other thing i really like about the mavs, is the coaching... not trying to take anything away from pat riley (you can't take anything away from the coach of "prime-time")... dude, this little ex-spur's point guard can coach and motivate!! he figured a way to beat the spurs, and another to unrun the suns...

LENS said:
forgot to add that i'm a big larry brown fan (now also a big avery johnson fan), but i think that the pistons did loose some of the defensive edge of last season. they often couldn't close out games, although they managed to squeeze out some clutch defensive performances (e.g. against cleveland)... they looked far from the dominant defense which kept something like 5 straight opponents below 70 last season.

larry... what'cha do'in in MSG?!?!!! :cry:

I am neither a Mavs or Heat fan. But i would love to see Shaq get one more Championship ring just to show Mr 81 points that it takes a lot more than ego to win championships...

wind30 said:
you watched the Sun's Game 5? where?? I thought it was not telecast on SCV.

Anyway the other player's name is Jason Williams. He was like perfect from the field 10-10 during a major part of game 6.

I am in the NBA land, you see... EVERY PLAYOFF GAME shown live... if you have the time and interest to watch it, it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.