The most useful foreign language to pick up in S'pore is...

I would sign up for...

Results are only viewable after voting.

I think should be singlish bah...
U tok korean I dun think U can get very far leh.

yeah dude! bring on the stuff like hitomi n x-japan n SMAP n all the rest...jp rulezzz 4ever ;-) ;-) ;-)

but back 2 original concept: i believe any "well-established" foreign lang shld do. esp stuff like fr, gr, jp, etc.

I would think Malay...
But it's not on the list..
So I'll choose Japanese... :D So can understand Japanese anime perfectly..
ONE PIECE!!!! :D

Poledra said:
I would think Malay...
But it's not on the list..
So I'll choose Japanese... :D So can understand Japanese anime perfectly..
ONE PIECE!!!! :D
think malay too, or written Mandarin

bahasa indonesia more or less sama same malay right?

Learn as much as possible....
Have 2 1/2 now.
Indon, Malay and market vietnamese.
All come in very handy when travelling.
Indon is not the same as Malay as the language is more eloquent...

Mystix said:
any1 knows of a gd place to learn bahasa indonesia in sg? or books for that matter? so far i only know 'bahasa indonesia' by yohanni johns is one of the better ones out there.

Think Bahasa Malayu is a more useful language than Bahasa Indonesia. :D

Actually, how many of you have been consistently using it when u learn a foreign language?

I used to pick up a little German but my own conclusion is that if you don't use it frequently enouff, you're going to forget most of it very quickly. Even for those who took it as an A level subject. It looks cool sometimes to learn jap or korean when there is some popular jap or korean dramas shown locally... I think everyone wants to identify with their idols! Have friends who signed up for foreign languages. But I think they experienced a very short-lived craze of a couple of months. Now they remember only the extreme basics. Quite a waste of time/money actually.

I think learning a foreign language will be more useful for those people who work in the service industry or need to do long term business/study in a foreign land where English is not a common language.

Japanese is useful... when you visit Japan! Of course, all you need to know is how to get around and how to order food and you will get alone fine...

Anyway, for me Asian languages are important, since I frequent Korea, Japan... and now I'm in Taiwan.

I'll learn japanese cause I'm working in a Jap company.....