The Most informative Photography magazine to suscribe to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eloera

Nov 18, 2006
yewtee.
e-epiphany.blogspot.com
hello people!
i was just wondering if any of you guys actually subscribe to any photography magazine to read to improve on your knowledge and update yourself with the latest gizmos and news ?

If so, which magazine do you guys read?

i have read a few issues of PHOTOVIDEOi and i think it isnt too bad? But i have got friends telling me that what they have is really basic knowledge and that there are better photography magazines around?

oh yes on a side note.
i am thinking of experimenting with a nd filter and a circular polariser too! which one should i pick, since both actually filters out light, and the only varying difference is the amount and type of light particles?

are there any huge differences betwn their effects on photos? i have been reading on this other thread on circular polarizer too? but i think i want to know more abt their effects on the photos!:D

please help me! thank you!

Both have their own uses. But if I were to pick one, I would take the cir-polariser. Because it acts as a 2-stop ND filter at the same time too.

I would actually recommend a ND graduated filter if you are into landscape photography. It should be an essential part of your gear if you're not into too much photoshop work.

I like PVi only for one reason. It's local :bsmilie:

For foreign mags... I like Shutterbug. Anyway, you can goto Kino at Takashimaya and browse through the large selection. Heck, even read them there if you don't want to fork out money to buy.

Both have their own uses. But if I were to pick one, I would take the cir-polariser. Because it acts as a 2-stop ND filter at the same time too.

I would actually recommend a ND graduated filter if you are into landscape photography. It should be an essential part of your gear if you're not into too much photoshop work.

I like PVi only for one reason. It's local :bsmilie:

For foreign mags... I like Shutterbug. Anyway, you can goto Kino at Takashimaya and browse through the large selection. Heck, even read them there if you don't want to fork out money to buy.

i know , for one, there are nd graduated filters with hard and soft edges. personally i think the one with the hard edge, will produce better contrast your fore ground and back ground? But i aint sure if it's going to be a good idea for landscape?

-Do the nd graduated filters selling in the market , comes with the different types of edges?

-Am i right to say that graduated filters with high edges will be more suitable for most types of photography?

- yarh ! same here, i like PHOTOVIDEOi because it's local? are there any other/better local photography magazines around? Shutterbug is just too costly to lol, buy and read every issue noe!

sorry , here's a side note. i know this thread is getting alittle to messy with all my questions. But i m really curious, is it true that when you zoom enough for a wide angle lens, you can get fish eye effects? i was surfing through ebay looking for wide angle lens, that's what the seller claims?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-ANGLE-FISH...QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106845QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:D :D :D

I like Practical Photography. It's a UK magazine. S$13.90 per issue, which sounds expensive for a magazine, but if you think of it as an informative book instead, it actually sounds quite cheap!

I have been supportive for The PhotoI (Former of PhotoVideoI).
Then, they slowly becomes more and more like a tabloid. I was initially a subscriber so as to show my support, now I have already stopped my subscription.

You get my point.

With nothing to do before catching my flight last week, I picked up a copy of Photography Monthly, a British publication for $13.90. I found it very informative and educational.

Practical photography is actually not too bad, as it covers a wide range of areas..including photo-taking tips, showcase of galleries as well as gear reviews.

I feel some other photo magz are simply too focused on gears to be any good for learning much bout photography itself. :)

edit. I meant practical photography...:D

ya loor. and then whenever there is an advertisment on the magazine, then the review of that particular equipment will be 5 Stars. Isn't that tabloid or what.

ya loor. and then whenever there is an advertisment on the magazine, then the review of that particular equipment will be 5 Stars. Isn't that tabloid or what.

lol. i havent been reading enough photography magazines, so i really cant judge? But i found some of the articles inside really useful?

but i just want the most value for money mag? where i can really learn alot on the say, technicalities of the cam, how to maximise the usage of the various lens, bodies, different post processing treatments, critiques and all?

There are no doubt many publications on photography out there which have articles of excellent quality.

What I suggest is that you don't specifically stick to one mag. If you are in the mood of getting one, drop down to your preferred store (that has a wide selection of course) and get one that features a certain technique or tips that you would want to learn about or experiment with.

Although you would miss out on the familiarity of the layout of a subscribed mag, if you want the most for your buck, get the issue that has articles that would be of interest to you and would actually apply to your own photography.

Hope this helps, and is what I do myself. Just recently got myself a copy of Digital Photographer and Photoshop User to get more insight using PS. On the other hand, was tempted to get Black & White Photographer as I shoot bw often, but didn't really like what they had on the issue.

i read practical photography... very informative with lots of ideas to try out... they spend a minimal part of the mag on equipment reviews so most of it is shooting ideas, projects, and photo reviews....

occasionally i get their sister mag, Digital Photo.. this one has more tips on post-processing, but also has great ideas to shooting... and comes with a free cd with video tutorials for photoshop....

i used to read popular photography (borrowed them from the library) but i gave up coz there were so many equipment related articles, and it really had A LOT of advertisements.. if u borrow from the library it's fine but i wouldn't recommend buying it...

others have also recommended me outdoor photographer, digital photo and shutterbug...

I like Practical Photography. It's a UK magazine. S$13.90 per issue, which sounds expensive for a magazine, but if you think of it as an informative book instead, it actually sounds quite cheap!

I agree... currently have about 2 yrs of their mags by now... ;)

popular photography. US magazine very useful. UK magazines too many landscapes. :)

Practical Photography for me. A very helpful and informative magazine.

I currently subscribe to Paractical Photography & Digital Photo. ;p

every one seems to be reading practical photography!
do you guys actually suscribe to it or just get them from the stores?

oh well , you know how mag subscriptions are always like a fad, you always suscribe for a year's supply but you only read at most half of them?

how much are you guys paying for the subscription for practical photography! i just want to compare the prices?

and since digital photography is the sister mag of practical photography, both wont be covering the same kind of articles and info :D :D :D :D right?

thanks for everyone's help!

firstly, it's practical photography and digital photo.
u can find out more here...
http://www.photographymags.co.uk/

like i said earlier... practical photography deals more with the shooting part, digital photo deals more with what u do after shooting.. but their articles are not strictly in those specified ares, they do cross into each other's areas of speciality... so u will find articles on post-processing in Practical photography, as well as shooting tips in Digital Photo...

Overall both are good buys, but i find subscriptions not very useful coz u don't save much... try getting from Willl in CS.. slightly cheaper... here's the link:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=227970

If you don't feel like buying, the practical photography site has lots of guides and tutorials for u to dl for free too... they come from old issues of the magazines, so u can have a feel of what it's like...

I second that. Its a great mag, I buy it every month. A bit exy but its worth it.

Blair :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.