The most difficult shoots ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
To all the experienced shooters, do you agree that one of the most challenging and difficult shooting environment is the fast sports held indoor such as basketball, badminton, vollyball, etc... I don't mean those standstill/prize giving ceremony/timeouts, situations but the actual ball grabing, bodies contact moments. Also for some sports (like gym), it's quite predictable where the participant is going to move so it's much easier.
How do you autofocus or manual focus when the subjects keep changing distances and at such low light and high speed? .....
Anyone here who have taken "acceptable" images care to post here for discussion?

Canonised said:
To all the experienced shooters, do you agree that one of the most challenging and difficult shooting environment is the fast sports held indoor such as basketball, badminton, vollyball, etc... I don't mean those standstill/prize giving ceremony/timeouts, situations but the actual ball grabing, bodies contact moments. Also for some sports (like gym), it's quite predictable where the participant is going to move so it's much easier.
How do you autofocus or manual focus when the subjects keep changing distances and at such low light and high speed? .....
Anyone here who have taken "acceptable" images care to post here for discussion?

Actually all photography has different challenges. Difficulty only happens when one is not familiar with the type of photography he/she is involve in. To me shooting sports photography indoor is a hell to me as I have no prior experience but if you keep on shooting and trying, you will find sports photography is second nature to you.

My preference leans towards more to commercial shoots where it is all about planning but that doesn't mean when you plan something and executing the shots will be easy as well. It's the familiarity of the type of photography area which makes my job easier.

I have a good friend who shoots great sports photography both indoor and outdoor. He told me that he saw what I did in my commercial shoots and have the similiar thoughts as I am as well. "How in the world did you do that?"

Sports photography is somehow similiar to news/reportage area. Where it all happend at an instance "LIVE COVERAGE". No repeats. Most of the time you have to anticipate when something is about to happend. Know your sports well and you will know which corner to go for.

I use to work in a news agency back in the old days and cover mainly events, news reports and others. Sports is one area I tried as well and I found that after covering sports like tennis and soccer with a 300mm (man it was S**T heavy) well I have to say it was an experience worth going for.

Photography term is quite general. Anyone can hold a camera and shoot almost anything but it's the specialization area which makes you an outstanding artist.

Hey me no sport photographer. Just sharing what I know about sports......hehe :D

Status
Not open for further replies.