Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Looked up and saw this:

32919606.jpg

First time taking the moon, so hoping for some comments!

Cheers!

Bro! Good shot of the half moon. ;p

The cheese is blocked from my side, therefore no chance to shoot it and test the 2x TC I just bought :cry: :cry:

Cheers & good night

Newguy69 said:
Bro! Good shot of the half moon. ;p

The cheese is blocked from my side, therefore no chance to shoot it and test the 2x TC I just bought :cry: :cry:

Cheers & good night
Thanks bro!

Anybody know when the full moon is coming? Probably in 15 days perhaps?

nickmak said:

on the 30th Aug, moonrise is about 1930 (monday evening,sg time). btw, it's called blue moon.

i still dun get it... how did u guys take the shot of the moon ? did u use a telescope ?

Will03 said:
i still dun get it... how did u guys take the shot of the moon ? did u use a telescope ?
Nope, no telescope...

I used a 300mm with 1.4x TC and then 100% crop on the pic... nothing special actually.. was intruiged by how jbma can focus with 1000mm lens! :eek:

kelster said:
heh...correct me if I'm wrong...but I think he meant zooming the pic till 100% and then crop the moon out.... :D
Tada! Well, I crop and then don't resize the picture... that's my definition of 100% crop... somebody correct me if I'm wrong also! :D

acetylcholine said:
okie..so that;s a 672mm zoom?
[Scratching head...] Someone help me here... Out of my league now... If its my old 300D + 300mm f4L + 1.4x TC then 672mm, but now its 1DMKII + 300mm f4L + 1.4x TC then its 588mm equivalent...

Is that what you were meaning or is it something else?

nickmak said:
[Scratching head...] Someone help me here... Out of my league now... If its my old 300D + 300mm f4L + 1.4x TC then 672mm, but now its 1DMKII + 300mm f4L + 1.4x TC then its 588mm equivalent...

Is that what you were meaning or is it something else?

hi... just curious... wat settings do u use for taking shots of moon ? :dunno:

Will03 said:
hi... just curious... wat settings do u use for taking shots of moon ? :dunno:
Here it is:

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time 23-Aug-2004 20:51:54
Make Canon
Model Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Flash Used No
Focal Length 420 mm
Exposure Time 1/10 sec
Aperture f/11
ISO Equivalent 100
Exposure Bias
White Balance (-1)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program program (1)
Focus Distance

At first used Av mode but then come out overexposed. Realised have to use Manual for this. :)

Great pic nickmak ^_^ I tried shoot the moon b4... but due to the limited zoom and F- stop can only get something like a white dot. :(

Nick, are you related to Kenny Mak ?

chunger said:
Great pic nickmak ^_^ I tried shoot the moon b4... but due to the limited zoom and F- stop can only get something like a white dot. :(

Hmmm... :think: good question... I don't think I'm related to Kenny Mak, but i do have an Uncle Kenny... :think: Gotta check up on that.. If you are referring to a Kenny Mak who bought a big lens from Terence then its most likely not.. hehe...

I'm gonna try to shoot the moon every 15 days or so so that we can get a look at the different phases of the moon. So anybody have a 600mm f4L lens for me to borrow? :bsmilie:

nickmak said:
Thanks bro!

Read your chinese calender, a full moon occurs on the 15th of the lunar calender every month.

chunger said:

Don't rely on the metering of the camera to take the moon. This is because the remainder of the picture, which is the dark sky, will cause the the camera to 'see' it as a overall dark picture, therefore overexposing it, unless the moon is very big and takes up a considerable area in your picture. Use manual mode, and go 1 1/2 - 2 stops under.

the picture's soft. Without the tracking to counter the earth's rotation it is hard to get sharp pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.