The Marina Bay SG50 Photo Competition and your rights as a photographer

Stevenpc

Aug 8, 2013
Tampines
Was checking out the terms and conditions of the competition (See here: http://www.rqam.com.sg/sg50marinaba...SG50_at_Marina_Bay_Photo_Competition_2015.pdf and listed at the top of this forum) and I see that paragraph 6b says:

"The Organiser retains the right to publish all photographs for an unlimited period of time, display printed versions of the photographs for public showcase and use the photographs for promotional and marketing purposes without obtaining further prior permission and payment of any fees or royalties to the participant.
All participants who participate in this Competition are deemed to have read and agreed to the Data Protection Policy that can be found at www.rqam.com.sg/dataprotectionpolicy"

So if I'm reading it right they get a ton of photos (Some from professional photogs?) to use as they see fit with no financial recompense for the photographer.

Yeah, they are offering some prizes but it seems to me that they are getting the better end of the bargain.

Any thoughts on this?

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
Was checking out the terms and conditions of the competition (See here: http://www.rqam.com.sg/sg50marinaba...SG50_at_Marina_Bay_Photo_Competition_2015.pdf and listed at the top of this forum) and I see that paragraph 6b says:

"The Organiser retains the right to publish all photographs for an unlimited period of time, display printed versions of the photographs for public showcase and use the photographs for promotional and marketing purposes without obtaining further prior permission and payment of any fees or royalties to the participant.
All participants who participate in this Competition are deemed to have read and agreed to the Data Protection Policy that can be found at www.rqam.com.sg/dataprotectionpolicy"

So if I'm reading it right they get a ton of photos (Some from professional photogs?) to use as they see fit with no financial recompense for the photographer.

Yeah, they are offering some prizes but it seems to me that they are getting the better end of the bargain.

Any thoughts on this?
This has been done for many photo competitions for a long time already. It's a cheap way to get tons of photos.

nitewalk

Staff member
May 31, 2010
Singapore
That's why I don't enter competitions. It is my choice anyway.

Top Bottom