The Manhattan Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelinn

Apr 3, 2006
The borough of Manhattan which borders the lower Hudson River, is known for its great fanfare and unmatched character. Chief among which are the island's district of Soho, Upper West Side and Harlem.

If you are born prior to the 1970's, or are a true blue Jazz fan, you will know the heart of the city's namesake.

It's been more than 29 years since Tim Hauser paid his bills by working both as a marketing executive and a New York cabbie with dreams of creating a vocal group. But one chance encounter on a blustery night in 1972 with Janis Siegel will launch the serendipitous formation of New York's most sensational club phenomenon. Filling Trude Heller's, Reno Sweeney, and Max's Kansas City with searing legions of devotees night after night to a pervasive cult that will eventually see to The Manhattan Transfer's tremendously successful Atlantic debut album.

Their next album, EXTENSIONS, earned them their first domestic pop hit: "Twilight Zone," penned by Alan Paul and Jay Graydon.

In 1981, The Manhattan Transfer made music history by becoming the first group to win Grammy Awards in both pop and jazz categories in the same year.

"Until I Met You" earned them a Grammy for Best Jazz Performance, Duo or Group. Both of these appeared on the combo's fifth outing, MECCA FOR MODERNS.

In 1982, they accepted another Grammy, for Best Jazz Vocal Performance, Duo or Group, for their rendition of the classic ode-to-the-road, "Route 66." The song appeared on the soundtrack to the Burt Reynolds film Sharky's Machine, and surfaced three years later on their BOP DOO-WOPP album. In 1983, prior to "BOP's" release, they repeated their 1982 Grammy win in the same category for the "Why Not!" cut from BODIES AND SOULS.

Since 1975, The Manhattan Transfer have released 20 recordings in a variety of genres but consistently featuring the legendary vocal prowess that has won them eight Grammy Awards. Gold and platinum albums led to sold-out world tours and spawned collaborations with other top international artists.

So, for everyone who is a Pop-Jazz aficionado. This is your holy grail.

For everyone else, we give you: Meredith.
Meredith.jpg

She can’t sing. She won’t dance. But she can sure as hell turn bodies and souls to Jazz. God help us.

Details: For those of you who are so inclined, we invite 10 ClubSnap photographers to share in Meredith's 'satin to jazz' photography session this Sunday, 28 May for 3 hours, starting from 8am.

This session is priced at S$70 per pax. (Discount to VIP members apply)
Exact location & theme for the shoot will be released to confirmed participants.

Bookings are now open.
Interested participants please register your interest by emailing to: modelinn@gmail.com now!

Latest Update:
Sunday, 28 May 2006, 8am

Slot 1: Reserved
Slot 2: Reserved
Slot 3: Reserved
Slot 4: Reserved
Slot 5: Reserved
Slot 6: Reserved
Slot 7:
Slot 8:
Slot 9:
Slot 10:

Uppz for the afternoon, thank U ;p

Latest Update:
for shoot on Sunday, 28 May 2006, 8am

Slot 7: Reserved
Slot 8:
Slot 9:
Slot 10:

Latest Update:
for shoot on Sunday, 28 May 2006, 8am

Slot 7: Reserved
Slot 8: Reserved
Slot 9:
Slot 10:

:cheergal: Hurry guys, only 2 slots left! :bsmilie:

Uppz for the evening :)

Was just thinking, isn't Manhattan's namesake Mana-hatta?

I seriously doubt that the borough which was constituted in 1898 was named after a band circa 1972....

New York, New York. The city so nice they named it twice.

Hope the shoot was good!

Excellent shoot today... Really enjoyed it... Rarely have I seen models who looked genuinely happy during the shoot... that takes quite some professionalism... and Meredith made the shoot so effortless...

Modelin has raised the bar themselves again... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Will post my shots as soon as I'm able to... ;)

Great shoot. Meredith was amazing, a true natural. Kudos to her.
And to the rest of the guys, a real pleasure meeting and shooting with you folks.

Thanks to Ivan for pushing ahead with the shoot as well.
p.s. send my regards to Edmund, hope everything will be ok on his end.

Here's a quick one, as promised.
meredith_hi.jpg

Realised I'm gonna have a lot of Meredith's shots to process... Here's a quick one with Meredith saying 'hi' to those who missed today's shoot... Streetlite's has the black outfit... I'll show the white one... ;)

Meredith.jpg

streetlite said:
Great shoot. Meredith was amazing, a true natural. Kudos to her.
And to the rest of the guys, a real pleasure meeting and shooting with you folks.

Thanks to Ivan for pushing ahead with the shoot as well.
p.s. send my regards to Edmund, hope everything will be ok on his end.

Here's a quick one, as promised.
meredith_hi.jpg
Hey thats a great shot, nicely composed! Its my pleasure to have u again in our shoot man! And true to your promise! :)
Looking forward to more great pics from u! cheers:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jia Wang said:
Realised I'm gonna have a lot of Meredith's shots to process... Here's a quick one with Meredith saying 'hi' to those who missed today's shoot... Streetlite's has the black outfit... I'll show the white one... ;)

Meredith.jpg
Hey Jia Wang, very fast too! Looking forward to more great pics from your page:)

Status
Not open for further replies.