the LUST for lens


Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,937
0
0
38
east side
#1
I think many *90%* of us here fall into the lust for lens category.Causing sleepless nights of web searching, price comparing, asking people here and there.worrying about the weight, the cost, the quality.......*other endless reasons*, the countless IF type of questions.

why are we torturing ourselves.


by the way , anyone selling their Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS or non IS versions?????
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#2
Originally posted by eadwine
I think many *90%* of us here fall into the lust for lens category.Causing sleepless nights of web searching, price comparing, asking people here and there.worrying about the weight, the cost, the quality.......*other endless reasons*, the countless IF type of questions.

why are we torturing ourselves.


For me, I try to constantly remind myself there's life beyond photography...it's not easy but it works! ;)
 

eadwine

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,937
0
0
38
east side
#3
Originally posted by AdamGoi


For me, I try to constantly remind myself there's life beyond photography...it's not easy but it works! ;)

adam, its realllly reallllllly not going to be easy.
RESIST TEMPTATION bery hard
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#4
Well, there is always another way of doing it.

Like what AG has mentioned... remind oneself that we have a life beyond making pictures, and at the same time, lust for other items. ;)

It helps. ;)
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#5
It's normal....just like adrenalin rush, the craving of having new lenses....
TCW has 2 set 70-200 f2.8L for sale :devil:
 

eadwine

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,937
0
0
38
east side
#6
Originally posted by Knighthunter
It's normal....just like adrenalin rush, the craving of having new lenses....
TCW has 2 set 70-200 f2.8L for sale :devil:
oh gosh , i hate to ask this but!! HOW MUCH!!!
 

BraveHart

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
864
0
0
40
Singapore
www.ef2pt8.com
#7
Been there; done that ;). All I can say is "Go take more pics!"

1) It helps you take your mind off the BUY BUY BUY Syndrome

2) It'll help you discover what you really NEED and hence you won't fret too much doing senseless research on what you WANT.

3) Obsessing about making great pictures is waaay cheaper than obsessing about getting better lens.
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#8
Originally posted by BraveHart
Been there; done that ;). All I can say is "Go take more pics!"

1) It helps you take your mind off the BUY BUY BUY Syndrome

2) It'll help you discover what you really NEED and hence you won't fret too much doing senseless research on what you WANT.

3) Obsessing about making great pictures is waaay cheaper than obsessing about getting better lens.
Sound advice mate! :thumbsup:

But now.... :devil: where have you been and show us yer shots! :D :p
 

Jed

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
3,911
0
0
UK
Visit site
#10
Haha it's blokes retail therapy!

These days I don't agonise or trawl through the web looking for a lens to buy... I got a long list to go through that as soon as I get the money I buy one by one!

In all seriousness, I know exactly what you all mean. I'm looking at getting a new computer and new(er) car, and it's the endless trawling for reviews, weighing the pros and cons, figuring how much I have to spend, etc etc...

In some ways, it's like being a kid in a candy store...
 

eadwine

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,937
0
0
38
east side
#11
Originally posted by Jed

In some ways, it's like being a kid in a candy store...
And its going to be one hell of a BIG candy
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#12
Originally posted by eadwine


And its going to be one hell of a BIG candy
Ead.. we all know how you feel lah...
Heck, now i'm agonising over which PDA to buy and as it is,
it's quite stressful already.. hehe. ;)

But seriously, it really helps when you know what you need to get and what it is meant for... :)
 

P

Pricess Leia

Guest
#13
Oh You boys,

Lenses are like phalic symbols......men always wanting something bigger, longer and better;)
 

eadwine

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,937
0
0
38
east side
#15
Originally posted by Wolfgang


Tsk tsk tsk... so incendiary... :devil:
ya lor
it should be slimmer, chio-er, rounder, bigger!!!
 

Jan 18, 2002
255
0
0
39
Singapore
www.picturesky.com
#16
Originally posted by Pricess Leia
Oh You boys,

Lenses are like phalic symbols......men always wanting something bigger, longer and better;)
how about those who crave for super wides? shorter and wider.... not very appropriate right? :dent:
 

Jed

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
3,911
0
0
UK
Visit site
#17
Originally posted by eadwine


ya lor
it should be slimmer, chio-er, rounder, bigger!!!
Heh. Methinks Princess Leia is quite chio. But can also think of a few photographers who would rather sleep with Princess Leica in bed... :D
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#18
I kept tellin' ya - getting the D60 is only the beginning.

I've largely completed my lens collection, so the lust has abated somewhat. Got a few duds - lenses I hardly use. Keeping these for emergencies rather than selling them off. They tend to be the lenses with apertures smaller than f2.8. Now there's a pointer.

Now just waiting for an excuse to get more "exotic" lenses like the 200 f1.8.

I do think, however, that the 70-200 f2.8 is indispensable. If you can afford it, get the IS version. It will be worth every cent and will hold its resale value pretty well. Me, I'm waiting for Sigma to come out with an OS version.
 

BraveHart

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
864
0
0
40
Singapore
www.ef2pt8.com
#19
Originally posted by Wolfgang


Sound advice mate! :thumbsup:

But now.... where have you been and show us yer shots!
Aiyar...been dammed bz at work man :( I'll be back in business once this peak season is over. Dammed...my 1.5 rolls per week average has dropped to 13 shots in 2 months :cry:

Originally posted by desmondwong


how about those who crave for super wides? shorter and wider.... not very appropriate right?
eh...its not the size that matters...but how u use it ;) May the Force be with you :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom