The Luminance of Masjid Selat

Jan 14, 2010
4720436834_baeac1fd9e_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure, technique/method.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To draw the viewer's eyes to the illuminated Masjid Selat Mosque during the blue hour.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Night, long exposure, with a tripod. While having to deal with slippery rocks, waves, and the darkness that was setting in.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
The tranquility and the mood of the moment make, in my book, an interesting addition to the similarly interesting edifice. Of course, there are rooms for improvement (like cloning some of the parched paint off the buildings walls, among others).

First... notice a slight tilt...but could easily fixed.

Composition...for me, feeling a bit tight....in need for a little bit of sky, and a little bit more towards the left. Though I know the reflection of water is important.

The designer / architect of this beautiful architecture did not put much attention into how to illunimate it in the nite.
As can be evidence here that the whole building is not well lighted and also making the mistake of using lights of different colour temperature which is very wrong.
The stain glass archway could have been light up from behind unlike now.
Otherwise, this would be a beautiful architecture seascape by nite.

Last edited:
I feel that the composition is very decent, but agree that there is a slight tilt thats quite discomforting. Personally, I would decrease the color temperature (make it warmer).