The longest exposure for Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

akane

Jun 4, 2003
Sydney
Hi,

Tried searching for this but didn't find any one bringing up :dunno:

What's the longest exposure (bulb) anyone tried on a dSLR?

:)

Read that someone tried doing star trails for about 6 hours. Nikon D70.

Without talking abt image quality, I think the longest exposure will depend on what kind of power supply the DSLR is using :)
Even phrasing as "Whats the longest exposure a DSLR can do with a acceptable image", its still pretty subjective...
Speaking from what I've done on the 10D, I've done 1 hr with a BP511 (and it can go longer) but the noise is pretty high...
Check out
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=86414&page=2
The 'Celestial movement' is 2900s, which is abt 48min

akane said:
Hi,

Tried searching for this but didn't find any one bringing up :dunno:

What's the longest exposure (bulb) anyone tried on a dSLR?

:)

nuts said:
Without talking abt image quality, I think the longest exposure will depend on what kind of power supply the DSLR is using :)
Even phrasing as "Whats the longest exposure a DSLR can do with a acceptable image", its still pretty subjective...
Speaking from what I've done on the 10D, I've done 1 hr with a BP511 (and it can go longer) but the noise is pretty high...
Check out
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=86414&page=2
The 'Celestial movement' is 2900s, which is abt 48min
just bit OT, where u shoot that? any tips on doing that?

Thats in Mongolia.
Erm, any specific things you're looking at? Its shot using a Canon 10D w/ 17-40 f4L, f4, 2900s. Cable release of course. Not sure what else you wanna know. You can pm me if you want...

chenwei said:
just bit OT, where u shoot that? any tips on doing that?

nuts said:
Thats in Mongolia.
Erm, any specific things you're looking at? Its shot using a Canon 10D w/ 17-40 f4L, f4, 2900s. Cable release of course. Not sure what else you wanna know. You can pm me if you want...
cuz personally feel that it's almost impossible to do that in sg... :p my last try on shooting star trails was a failure, and in m'sia out at such a late time, really scare kena robbed..

chenwei said:
cuz personally feel that it's almost impossible to do that in sg... :p my last try on shooting star trails was a failure, and in m'sia out at such a late time, really scare kena robbed..

yup... wait kenna kapow on the head
really see star trails : )))

yes, you need to goto a place with less light pollution...

chenwei said:

hey which camera's are u guys using to take star trails....?

Do bulb modes on DSLRs let you expose for as long as you like (as long as there's enough power)?

My 8800 has a 10 minute maximum time for bulb mode. Is that long enough for star trails?

seeyf said:
Do bulb modes on DSLRs let you expose for as long as you like (as long as there's enough power)?

My 8800 has a 10 minute maximum time for bulb mode. Is that long enough for star trails?
10 mins the stars move how much?

seeyf said:

yup to the first point.
probably not to the second point.... then again, i've not tried, but i don't think stars move much in 10mins. also, your 8800 probably can't set as small an apperture as a dslr, which may result in overexposure unless you're very careful to ensure no bright light source is present....

ah, i stand corrected.

however, as nuts demonstrated, it has to be really dark.

not many places in singapore dark enough though..

chenwei said:

not only that....near equatorial region, the star will not move in circle

they will move in straight line (almost), so u wont get the curve effect even after hours of exposure

reason is that the stars will move around north star but in singapore, we can never see the north star :(

actually star trail is rather easy to shoot if u stay near north pole, just find a dark, cloudless night with no moon, no aeroplane/car, no lightning, no house nearby. Even better if there are some structures that dun give out light, like tower, trees, hill....

Wai said:
not only that....near equatorial region, the star will not move in circle

they will move in straight line (almost), so u wont get the curve effect even after hours of exposure

reason is that the stars will move around north star but in singapore, we can never see the north star :(

actually star trail is rather easy to shoot if u stay near north pole, just find a dark, cloudless night with no moon, no aeroplane/car, no lightning, no house nearby. Even better if there are some structures that dun give out light, like tower, trees, hill....

if stay near north pole, i think there is no aeroplane/car... no house nearby... :sweatsm:

but den i think we would need to purchase those Canon 1D series camera already...

Can lah. Got money go north pole surely got money buy 1Ds MarkII

Status
Not open for further replies.