The Loner Waiting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaoken

Deregistered
Loner.jpg

*shot took using film (Kodak Gold 200)

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to have feedback on these area..
- Composition
- Angle
- Lighting

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show that this man is lonely, "chopping" seat.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was on my way to the hawker centre in Chinatown and saw this scene. So I decided to take out my camera and took this shot (last frame of the film).
Didn't want to hesitate so just snap it before this man found out I'm taking a pic of him before he moved away. ;)

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
I think there's an isolation in the photos which separates the crowd (more people) vs. the man (alone sitting on the chair).

it's a little too messy for me. too many other distractions in the photo.

position of the man is also a little too far right..can't really tell he's the focal point in the picture.

maybe a closer up picture and showing more empty seats only might be more effective?

the kodak really came out nice u can see that nice kodak hue in the photo.. i think you could have been more selective on the focusing to chill the photo out and perhaps come down on a more shoulder pov to really emphasize the emptiness of the chairs by using it to counter weight the subject a little more. and if u wanna be creepy sneakup on the old man a little more.

Actually, there is potential in this picture, preferably it should consist of only the lonely man - empty chairs - empty stage. I would have choose to switch to a longer telephoto and search for a view to include just the above mentioned 3 elements.

The purpose of using long lenses is to compress the space between the man and the stage.
A fairly deep depth of field might be required.

it's a little too messy for me. too many other distractions in the photo.

position of the man is also a little too far right..can't really tell he's the focal point in the picture.

maybe a closer up picture and showing more empty seats only might be more effective?
Point noted.
I also thought that the man was positioned a little far right and a closer view would minimise the distraction.

the kodak really came out nice u can see that nice kodak hue in the photo.. i think you could have been more selective on the focusing to chill the photo out and perhaps come down on a more shoulder pov to really emphasize the emptiness of the chairs by using it to counter weight the subject a little more. and if u wanna be creepy sneakup on the old man a little more.
Haha! Thanks. I do shoot film at times. ;)
I know a closer zoom would be good but currently, I do not have a tele lens for my film SLR.

Actually, there is potential in this picture, preferably it should consist of only the lonely man - empty chairs - empty stage. I would have choose to switch to a longer telephoto and search for a view to include just the above mentioned 3 elements.

The purpose of using long lenses is to compress the space between the man and the stage.
A fairly deep depth of field might be required.
Good suggestion.
I guess for such photos, I've have to "camp" there to wait for the moment where there's nobody walking around.

----------------------

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!! :D

I can feel the man waiting with all the empty chairs.

A close crop will actually look nice, leaving just the old man, and chairs without the stages.

Nice and vivid colour. :thumbsup:

I can feel the man waiting with all the empty chairs.

A close crop will actually look nice, leaving just the old man, and chairs without the stages.

Nice and vivid colour. :thumbsup:

without the stage, the "waiting" is lost

Close crop will work, think cabbySHE's suggestion works best.

I find the 3 other person distracting... anyone agrees with me?

I am thinking if a pinhole effect will add a nice touch to the sadistic lonely feel...

4094751080_bec006403b_o.jpg

I asked them to go away.

P.S - TS,Please let me know if you want me to remove the above image.

Eh ... can you share how you did that? I just bought an adobe creative package but haven't got around to playing with it yet. Did you use photoshop or what?

Eh ... can you share how you did that? I just bought an adobe creative package but haven't got around to playing with it yet. Did you use photoshop or what?

CS4 Photshop... just a simple clone. (the "stamp chop" icon)

Rendell did a good job there, although the head of the first woman still lingers ;p

I think TS should try doing a longer crop (more panoramic) to achieve a different effect. And being a tilt freak, I would fix that horizontal tilt.

But not bad - the chairs do provide a very nice pattern.

I think a tighter view will work better. Shoot the old man from the back up, and go slightly lower when shooting, bending over a little. Zoom in and get some thin DoF on the old man and you have a powerful picture.

See, I find the picture too messy even without the people. I think by using background blur here you can have some good separation and forces attention on the old man. I would also go for Black and White here, imagine the old man among the white chairs with a OOF stage in the background.. ooooo.

how about a larger aperture to give a more shallow depth of field? in this way, the stage and chairs can still be seen but yet not take away the focus from the man.

I asked them to go away.

P.S - TS,Please let me know if you want me to remove the above image.

If you can move the man to the second seat ( 3nd from left ) of the last row . Crop it in a vertical ( portrait ) format with only the man - empty seat and that portion of stage showing the chinese charactor 中秋节 plus the painting, excluding the hanging piece of red cloth, it will be perfect. The story already told.

If there is a good picture, waiting is worth while.

Last edited:
I'm using a kit lens and only have that lens for my Minolta SLR... :(
No worries, almost anything can be Post processed.

Did a 5 minutes quick processing, sorry that I un-intensionally blurred your logo! Hope you don't mind.... Added Stardeenaw's idea + a little vignetting. and stage in BW....

Becoming more like Ghost festival instead of Mooncake festival :embrass:

4097074827_d1b59c7477_o.jpg

P.S TS, please let me know if you like me remove the image.

No worries, almost anything can be Post processed.

Did a 5 minutes quick processing, sorry that I un-intensionally blurred your logo! Hope you don't mind.... Added Stardeenaw's idea + a little vignetting. and stage in BW....
This is nice.. :D
Becoming more like Ghost festival instead of Mooncake festival :embrass:

4097074827_d1b59c7477_o.jpg

P.S TS, please let me know if you like me remove the image.
Haha.. It's ok, I'm open to people showcasing their PP skills.
In fact, I can learn from it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.