The Lensbabies Series! YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesecake

hello!!

bought a Lensbabies from Weekh and used them for a mini shoot series, more for testing the capabilities of this lens itself.

its very tiny, very light and its very funky! loads of fun with this lens though it might take quite a while to really start shooting with it purposefully. on my S2Pro, i have to rely on the shutter speed as the main control for the amount of light entering the sensor.

u can't change aperture in between shoots unless u wanna go through the hassle of removing the rubber ring and then the aperture ring and insert a new aperture ring in. a case of removing and inserting, meaning - troublesome.

heh, once u get the hang of it. u might love this lens, or hate it, if u can't do anything with such a quarky lens. those coming from the Lomography family will love this lens. i know because i do love this lens! yeah~!

some trial shots... comments welcomed! hohoho!

S2Pro, Jpeg Fine. Custom White Balance.
Aperture at f4. Shutter speed 1/180s(thereabouts, forgot)
Photoshop - Auto Contrast only.s

548201-e1.jpg

548202-e1.jpg

548203-e1.jpg

Whats a lensbaby?

Cheesecake said:
yupz!!

be posting more if i shoot more these few days!

lensbabies yeah!! :thumbsup:

Hi, it's cool to play with. Do you order the lens online or you got it locally? I am thinking to get one and play around, like the effect. Please advise?

Hope to see more pix from you :) The online gallery from the official site is cool!

cheers!

I think there's a PS action that will re-create the lensbaby effect....No need to spend money experimenting...

hi!

took a few shots on the Xiao Ruan, a classical Chinese Musical Instrument with the lensbabies. i'd say its not bad! :) it can get pretty close-up with good focusing on a spot.

all the photos are not PS-ed less for Curves and tiny cropping on 2 photos.

shot with S2Pro.
ISO 100, f4.

548201-es.jpg

548202-es.jpg

548203-es.jpg

548207-es.jpg

548208-es.jpg

548209-es.jpg

all are saved in LOW quality, jpeg.

shutter speed at 1/180s.

i find that the lensbabies is a very fun lens to shoot product with. it can focus till pretty close if u extend the barrel much longer. it can be really sharp too if u're able to get the sweet spot.

of course, it can't be compared to the photographic effect that i achieved on my 'Vege' Series for they are both different cameras and lenses. but for S$170+, it really isn't that heavy an investment considering what some people are paying for a piece of glass(read B/W filters).

i'll try doing some portraiture perhaps this weekend and shoot architectures too.

the fun and excitement is all in using this lensbabies and taking photos 'creatively' with it.

wherein lies the fun and the 'photographic feel' if everythings' PS-ed in?? ;)

i love my lensbabies! yeah!!! and not forgetting, i love LIVERPOOL F.C too! haha!

jackenightmare said:
Hi, it's cool to play with. Do you order the lens online or you got it locally? I am thinking to get one and play around, like the effect. Please advise?

Hope to see more pix from you :) The online gallery from the official site is cool!

cheers!

hi jackenightmare...

sorry for the late reply!

i got my lens via a M.O conducted by Weekh. well, if u're the type who wouldn't mind paying S$100+ for a piece of glass filter(UV or Skylight from Singh-Ray or B/W)then u wouldn't mind paying for a lensbabies since it gives you much more photographic opportunity then a UV or Skylight filter will ever do.

yeah! the online lensbabies gallery is funky!! yeah!

have fun with this lens! hohoho!

nemesis32 said:
I think there's a PS action that will re-create the lensbaby effect....No need to spend money experimenting...
it'll be cumbersome to do the effect with all yuor shots...batch action but you still need to determine the focus point. so just get the lensbaby for immediate effect, and PS only for colour and other stuffs. saves time post-processing right.

khairi said:
it'll be cumbersome to do the effect with all yuor shots...

no just 3secs.
16084koi-copy.jpg

But the lensbabies is a creative tools that give you a sense of acheivement when you get it right.

PS is for lazy guy like me. :)

That's interesting. Somehow I like ur pic#3. :thumbsup:

FYI, even a pro photographer is using/experimenting with the lensbabies. Her name is Charlotte Lowrie. Her website is at: wordsandphotos.org

Here's a short extract of her profile:

"Veteran journalists say that once journalism gets into your blood, it is there to stay. Charlotte Lowrie, street and editorial photographer, can verify the truth of the adage. Given a choice between a shooting a commercial or an editorial assignment, she’ll choose the editorial assignment first every time. As she says, 'It’s a great chance to tell a good story.'

Lowrie looks at photography as part of the total communication picture. For her, words are better with photos, and photos are better with words. So it’s not unusual for her to write the words and take the images. The philosophy is likely a result of her editorial background. For four years, Lowrie was the managing editor of MSN Photos, a popular Web site on the Microsoft Network that was recently discontinued. Her work has appeared in various Microsoft products, as well as in industry and trade journals, and in newspapers including the Dallas Morning News, the National Association for the Self-Employed and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) magazines, and on local television news broadcasts."

jopel said:
no just 3secs.
16084koi-copy.jpg

But the lensbabies is a creative tools that give you a sense of acheivement when you get it right.

PS is for lazy guy like me. :)
ha ha...3 secs for a single image...yes i believe...but if u're doing a series that have some 1000+ images? how many secs do you take? :) ha ha...radial zoom and blur and bla bla bla...as u can see your blurring is not natural, not like the effect obtained from the lensbaby.

btw, gd effort there!

took these photos in a small garden near my house. this time i used the lensbabies to take some photos of flowers, after viewing some samples from the gallery in lensbabies. really inspiring shots, most of them!

the 'bokeh' do look surreal on some photos, with a creamy feel to it. focusing is quite tough but it was fun! ;)

all are taken in Jpeg Fine, ISO100, Shutter Speed at 1/45 and 1/30. +0.5 exposure. White Balance = Sunny.

548202-ex.jpg

548205-ex.jpg

548208-ex.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.