the kiss at pier 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryk

Mar 8, 2004
Finally got myself to New York but was pretty much lacking in inspiration photography-wise. But finally at the very last day, i spotted this couple who were just so into each other. Amazing scenery, sunset, New York. What more can you ask for?

I shot this at waist level without framing, only had my wide angle with me so i took three quick shots and this came out the best I believe. Cropped just abit, and processed mainly for the colour toning.

So would just like your views on the overall framing, I didn't want too tight a crop as I loved how the sunlight provided such nice lines on the foreground. Also, I left it tilted, as I thought having straight, clinical parallel lines would just detract from the so-called 'romantic' feel of the shot.

Also, if anyone wants to, I would really like to see your version for this in BnW. It took me quite abit of deliberation to finally rid my fixation for monocrhome.. but finally decided that the muted colours would work much better in this shot.

Thanks in advanced guys =).

the_kiss_at_pier_3_web_.jpg

nice color... i'd rather u do a bit of burning or vignet it to show what u wanna focus, cos the subject is rather dark... the emphasis went to the back light.

burn and brighten.

ok, did tis... the source wasn't that 'good' so have to make do with it, and i'm only accessible with LR right now, so i have to export and vignet 3 times to get this... u get the feel, i also edited a little of the color despite my difficulties, and also did a wide angle crop which i think it look like a movie set.

this works for me, my only quarrel is that the flare is quite distracting. admit that upon trying is quite difficult to clone though.

as for b&w, i did channel mixing with 60/30/10 ratio, changed a bit of contrast, did some highlight shadow recovery and added slight vignetting

2605460979_b8f81b0230_o.jpg

nightmare - nice conversion, that's very close to something that I pictured a b/w version of this shot would be.

del_ctrlnoalt - i get what you mean about the couple not standing out enough.. but i still do like how they are slightly shilouetted, with their outline highlighted by the light. I see what you're getting at with your version, especially with the cinematic 16:9-ish crop.. I'll see what I can do more with mine =)

thanks also to all who have commented so far

Finally got myself to New York but was pretty much lacking in inspiration photography-wise. But finally at the very last day, i spotted this couple who were just so into each other. Amazing scenery, sunset, New York. What more can you ask for?

I shot this at waist level without framing, only had my wide angle with me so i took three quick shots and this came out the best I believe. Cropped just abit, and processed mainly for the colour toning.

So would just like your views on the overall framing, I didn't want too tight a crop as I loved how the sunlight provided such nice lines on the foreground. Also, I left it tilted, as I thought having straight, clinical parallel lines would just detract from the so-called 'romantic' feel of the shot.

Also, if anyone wants to, I would really like to see your version for this in BnW. It took me quite abit of deliberation to finally rid my fixation for monocrhome.. but finally decided that the muted colours would work much better in this shot.

Thanks in advanced guys =).

Nice color and moment...:thumbsup:

Beautiful pic! :thumbsup: I much preferred your original than what the others have attempted to "improve" (sorry, don't mean to put anyone else down, but this is just IMHO)... the vignetting is pretty obvious but somehow works for this pic... I love the colours!

Something funny caught my eye - the flag with "3" on it... literally, you can name this pic as "3 is a company"... I mean, literally... ha ha...

This is a lovely shot, and I also think the original processing is just about right, love how the shadows interact with the light to create texture.

I definitely like Del_CtrlnoAlt's version better. For me it's like a textbook lesson on how cropping and vignetting can totally transform a photo! The original tho is by no means lame. In fact, I have seldom seen tilt done so effectively! Well done to you both! :thumbsup:

Nice shot, but i'll like it more if the buildings were included more in the background either the sea or the buildings i guess. Btw i've seen lots of couples moment, but how do you shoot them. Did u use ur slr or a point n shoot cam. Cause wont it be akward taking a pic of a couple doing their stuff.

Nice shot, but i'll like it more if the buildings were included more in the background either the sea or the buildings i guess. Btw i've seen lots of couples moment, but how do you shoot them. Did u use ur slr or a point n shoot cam. Cause wont it be akward taking a pic of a couple doing their stuff.

Well, I too would have liked to include more of the new york skyline in the background. But that's mainly because I didn't get the chance to frame this shot directly on my viewfinder.. like I had mentioned earlier, I took 3 quick shots around my waist area, all with slightly different focal lengths and angles, so it was pretty discreet. I also would find it akward to be so intrusive as to stick my camera right infront of a couple making out. So it's abit of agaration and luck i guess that I got this shot.

I used my dslr for the shot, my trusty yet sometimes unreliable Canon D60 (old camera!)

Something funny caught my eye - the flag with "3" on it... literally, you can name this pic as "3 is a company"... I mean, literally... ha ha...

Uh, as an aside, the phrase is "three's a crowd" not "3 is a company".

appreciate the compliments guys.. :)

came across this thread as i saw the highest view count. and thought this is a great work. there is probably little for me to critique since i can do no better or near this. great moment, stuitable slant, superb lighting, sufficient space and composition and good lines...

and since everyone is sharing their post processing and vision. here's mine. since the bulk of the exposure are bright, i did not attempt to increase the black areas to increase exposure, instead i make them lighter and more uniform and let the couple stand out by having them in darker midtone but not in shadows. i did two versions, one with the red color shirt denser and stand out, one with the red color shirt fade off with the glare but sufficiently red. i think maybe need safari browser (got color management) to accurately see the colors (esp red).

although i like the composition and the pattern of the ground are great, i crop the bottom a little to give a more panaromic aspect ratio.

denser red, i thought the darker subject stands out against its flared background.
newyorkwredj.jpg

fader red, probably blends in better, although it stands out less.
newyorkwredbs1j.jpg

all in all, i won't say this processing is supposed to be better or an improvement, just my vision of what i like. Patryk, u must be a seasoned photographer. i hope to see u post a travel thread in travel and landscape, either on new york or other places u go.

Status
Not open for further replies.