The issue on 'leeching'

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

I've had conversations with a few good photographers who do not upload their works onto their online galleries for fear of being leeched by other parties.

However, I also feel that portfolios are important, regardless of hobby or professional shooters.

What's your view on this? And the best way to deter leeching? Putting watermark, disabling right-clicking or put it as a format no one can copy (eg Macromedia flash).

redstone said:
I've had conversations with a few good photographers who do not upload their works onto their online galleries for fear of being leeched by other parties.

However, I also feel that portfolios are important, regardless of hobby or professional shooters.

What's your view on this? And the best way to deter leeching? Putting watermark, disabling right-clicking or put it as a format no one can copy (eg Macromedia flash).

I agree, portfolios are important, especially ones that are easily viewable (internet!). The best way is to just deter possible leechers by putting a whopping great embedded copywrite over the middle of the image/subject, upload a vey small size 600X400 for example and also to make it really low quality, save for quality 6 or something in PS (or save for web)

The safest way is still not to upload to internet.

People caneasily steal macromedia flash with free capture tools like snagit.

redstone said:

been discussed quite a few times already

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=2216650#post2216650
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1479093#post1479093

Saving in lower quality jpeg causes your pictures to look bad, and would even likely do more harm than having no portfolio at all.

Placing watermarks can help, but it's distracting and reduces the appeal of your pics.

Resizing to web size can only prevent prints.

No-right-click can be easily disabled.

Showing in flash doesnt stop print screen.

In other words, no 100% protection from leeches. :(

Show some of your best works for portfolio .. reserved some of your best of best for self consumption .... :bsmilie:

But hor .. as you progress .. the last best of best will not be your current best of best .. :confused:

Anyway .. if the leeches gone out of hands .. take it to court actions lor .. :)

If you look at it at another angle, leeching is actually a recognition of your work .... though it is not morally or legally accepted or supported. It is also depend on what types of images you are shooting ....
If you are shooting models, babes, nude, semi nude, bikini and your images are been regularly leeched ... then take it that your standard has gone up but maybe it's time to change your subjects/interests if you dont want yr images to be leeched, coz there is no way you can prevent not to have yr images leeched.
But if your subjects are commercially-linked or that you are very professional and serious with your subject-matters, by all means consult your lawyers.

There's another way of leeching. Someone pickup the pictures eg. picture of dog and retouch it into another scenerio and claims the pictures is theirs. And this type of bussiness practice via digital manipulationsis acceptables and is very hard to check as the pictures will be manipulated in such a way that it belongs to the person. My humble views.

Somewhat similiar analogy as 'scared of traffic accident, don't drive loh'. :sticktong

thinking of writing a ani-leeching software, what u guys think?

Daniz said:
Actually if the photos are done in a Flash presentation, then the photos will not be able to be leeched, unless they leech the whole presentation lah. Otherwise as long as it's hosted in a server and presented during web browsing, definately there will be a way to leech the photos off.

Btw which part of dover are you at? I am at blk36.
There is always something call screen capture.

i'm trying to do something to prevent that so called print screen to work
@daniz: i've moved to Clementi 703 already, last time i stayed blk 37

htthach said:

People dont have to print screen, they can use other softwares like snag it.

Good luck though :thumbsup:

I guess i have a different minset when it comes to leeching of work. Positively, it shows that your work is good enough to leech.

I've reached to a point where I'm not too concern with such issues anymore.I believe that a true leader will always emerge at the end of the day. If you are creative, I'm sure u will create new ways of seeing things and trends. And if u depend on leeching for a living, please do a good job or else u'll end up looking like a bad counterfeit.

htthach said:

People can still take a camera and snap it off the monitor screen and that is impossible to prevent .. so it's caveat emptor

goering said:
People can still take a camera and snap it off the monitor screen and that is impossible to prevent .. so it's caveat emptor

They're taking pictures of pixels?!?

There's no perfect way but Flash is still the safest and most common way with some signature unobstrusive in a corner. Images can still be leeched by the most determined of people but the question is, "They may leech, but can they reproduce the same kind of quality on demand?"

I think you may want to relook using the maxim "caveat emptor" in this situation.

goering said:

what can u do with a 600x400 pixels copy?

The more worrying issue is the leeching of idea, which is not illegal.

What kinds of ideas?

AReality said:
The more worrying issue is the leeching of idea, which is not illegal.

vince123123 said:
What kinds of ideas?
Those that you can reproduce and print your copyright on it, just by looking at someone else's photographs.

And can add to your portfolio too..

Status
Not open for further replies.